Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 42 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What a car, what - a - car! Been out doing some heavy testing this weekend after tweaking the carbs due to @soldave for lending me his carbtune and colourtune, massive thanks, and I have to say what a difference. Absolutely stunning to drive, almost felt as if I was back in the esprit, has the same sort of feelgood factor, very very nimble and can dart in and out of traffic at will. Brakes are sharp, steering is light and precise and the ride is firm but comfortable. I'm absolutely in awe of this machine, it's like when you're 7 years old growing up watching superstar drivers blasting about monte carlo, sideburns, dark sunglasses, and glamour pusses a plenty, just transports me into a different world, total escape from the mundane, love it! The carbs are now balanced as best as I could and a nice blue burn in each cylinder, the overly rich smell is gone. The back carb was way out as you can see from the photos but as I say balanced far better now and the super yellow burn you see has now also gone. All ready I think for the show season ahead, see you soon, Charlie ;-) 

{option}http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/altabani/Mobile%20Uploads/20160403_132814_zpsc1djk5ws.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/altabani/Mobile%20Uploads/20160403_141239_zps55lnbzxa.jpg[/IMG]

• Like 2

Glad to hear you've had success with both the Colortune and Carbtune. What colour did you tune your burn to? I tried to do mine to blue with an odd yellow spark but I think it might be a little too rich. I've found at low rpm (e.g. pulling out of a junction) I have to give it a bit more gas as there's a bit of hesitation low down that I don't think is ignition. Will have a look when I get them both back.

Same, blue with a yellow flick every now and again. Just sounded better as I was going through the process, could hear it actually getting smoother. Didn't notice any hesitation anywhere, pulling through the gears like a train. Also worth mentioning the gearbox is great, goes into all the gears smoothly, and the 907 is a gem, really not interested in an engine swap now, might work with it and see what I can comfortably get out. My over heating is a thing of the past, I hight recommend removing the air condenser if you remove the aircon, seems to have freed it up, better air flow, dial rests around 75° and I can feel a difference when I open the bonnet after a run. If I'm going to do anymore work on it now I think its time for new bushes all around, although they're ok, they look dry and crusty, so time to upgrade. 

• Gold FFM

Well done Charlie. I was just thinking how many people have changed their tune now that the car is all but finished, I say that as knowing you, you will have something more in mind. She looks fantastic and a tribute to all the time, effort and money that you have sunk into her. I know you always said she was done on a shoe string budget, but it sure as hell don't look like it. Just a pity I wont see it in the flesh at the festival as I will be overseas at work. I have loved following the story of the Panther and how even with the trials and tribulations you just kept going.

As always. Well done sir.

• Like 1

Cheers JP, always a pleasure to hear your kind words. I've said before, many times that I certainly didn't start out to gain attention, I've been amazed really amazed that the car has been so well received and never for one minute did I think it would make magazines and all that. It's my escape, keeps me on the straight and narrow and out of trouble. I hope people enjoy it and take inspiration from it rather than look for faults, it's meant to be enjoyed, that's my motivation.  

• Gold FFM

Faults? Faults? Are you having a laugh @CharlieCroker - there's no fault to be found on the panther 

however - expecting not to get huge amounts of attention with an air slammed lotus elite - well that's a fault !!

• Like 1

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, spent most of the day in the garage today going through greasing every union, trunion and what ever else I could find. Drained and refilled the gearbox, diff and enfine oil, checked water levels and ps fluid. I've gone through every nut and bolt in the front and rear suspension marking them with tipex as I go. I've literally done everything I can possibly do to the car now and would say it probably as good as it has ever been. No more immediate plans, this year just a case of keeping her on the road and hopefully I can get through the show season without any major issues. Happy Sunday, Charlie ;-) 

• Like 1

Anyone from Lotus Staffordshire or above going to the festival next Sunday, could run down in convoy safety in numbers and all that?! Pm me to let me know. 

Hi Charle, that's unfortunate, I had the same issue on the last lap of a race at Brands Hatch, ended up parked up on the infield just leading into the last corner before the chequered flag. I hope that the recovery people are sympathetic and careful . That looks like the bottom of the upright that the trunnions screw onto has snapped off. If you are interested I have a pair of uprights that I bought new after my incident that were on the car for a couple of years prior to my conversion to Toyota uprights and ball joints. If you are interested let me know and I'll get some photos for you,I'm sure we can do a deal.

best of luck

Dan

• Like 1

What a day, from being all optimistic looking forward to the show to total gutted in the space of second. As soon as it went, I knew that was that. Have to say on this occasion the AA were absolutely amazing. Had a guy out to me in under half hour, then a load loader out in an hiur from that, with a guy who absolutely knew his game. Totally sympathetic to the situation,  never swore once and help me get it back into my garage at what ever it took. In all honesty I'm lucky it happened at 5mph pulling into the station and not 70mph on the motorway. To that point she was totally singing a humming tune all the way down,  every dial where it needed to be and driving lovely. Absolutely gutted to have missed tge show after so many hours in the garage, I even greased the fduck out of those trunnions as you know. Not gunna let this dampen my spirits as the car has minimal damge, literally just the trunnion that gave way, every other component is in tact and can be used again. I will be looking for any suggestions in any upgraded options so pkease feel free to post your ideas, ia anyone making an upgrade for the elite? Gutted, totally gutted.

• Like 1

What a bugger - I was wondering what had happened. You weren't the only one. Jonny had an issue as well with his Turbo Esprit.

Glad no-one was hurt. looking forward to seeing it next time.

Chris

• Like 1

Day I want to forget but I'm in 1 piece, the panther is down, temporarily certainly not out. So lucky I didn't rip the front wing off, and I'm here to tell the tale. She's down for now but we'll be back soon, this Toyota conversion, what's that all about then? Oh and I've got a redneck suntan whwre I was stuck in the sun all friggin day! Anyone who had issues,  hope you get back sooner rather than later, Charlie ;-)

Do you think that the air ride has put more stress on the trunion than it was originally designed for? Dans failure again would be high stress since he races his eclat. This is a concerning story since, as you say, if this happened at speed all sorts of damage could have been caused.. Being completely selfish about it, how often has this happened to these cars?

It probably hasn't helped but I believe that a 40 year old upright and trunnion had seen their day in all honesty, similar to my drive shaft unions that were knackered due to old age and sitting around for years. It is a problem for owners with trunnions, gt6 spitfire seem to suffer the same sort of history with failed uprights. There's that cranley upgrade, dunno if that is a real option, but I need to find something strong and reliable.