Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 24 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Decided to add a rear window blind, so I've been busy constructing one, quite fiddly but I'm loving the end result, very retro and adds a little bit of privacy to the rear hatch.

20150316_082917_zpshhybjyb1.jpg

20150316_092943_zps1dvfxge3.jpg

20150319_085817_zps4oz09aq0.jpg

20150319_085939_zps77rucbww.jpg

20150319_090107_zpspg3tmt7j.jpg

20150319_090134_zpstc9fzg4x.jpg

20150319_090200_zpsnjcnfek5.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have a labrador charlie?  :sofa:

NB on the elite and eclat the headlight feed is via a relay (at least it is on mine...). The current doesn't run directly through the switch to the lights.

D

• Like 2

Haha, no labrador. So to upgrade to H4 shouldn't be a problem? I remember when I had the esprit I changed the bulbs and burnt the switch out, pain in the arse and a relatively expensive fix.

The blind idea looks good.

Something quite different, I just love the way you think outside the box.

Have you considered tinting film on the glass?.

I have a non tinted car that has a tinted replacement screen. 

I have decided to go this route with a very pale tint. This mainly because all the glass has to come out any way.

The doors for instance need stripping to do the hinge pins, the rear quarter glasses are falling out of their own accord. That only leaves the tailgate insitu.

• Like 1

They're nothing new, they've been around for years, the vdub scene love them. I just wanted something to help hide all the shit that I keep in the boot!

Datsun-510-window-decal_zpsjfggtosc.jpeg

uu%20069_zpshqtjxelt.jpeg

They tend to be light colours but I wanted mine to be fairly unobtrusive.

Hi Charlie. I know its along trip from Turin but is there any chance of seeing the Panther at Duxford on May 3rd. So far over 30 Loti going. See events. I have an Elite with MX5 headlight conversion that does not need welding skills or fabrication of motor mounting Regards Clive

Hi Clive, I wasn't planning on going as the international show is the week after and a long run also. However that's a straight forward run down the A14 so it's a possible, I'll decide on the day, if it's a real sunny day forcast then hopefully I'll make it. :-)

• Gold FFM

Said it before and I'll say it again, I really like the look of Elites. I'd have one if I could, but I have never seen one. :(

Going to be great finished Charlie. :thumbup:

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Cheers ramjet. Just been making a small modification which will help improve everyday driving, the windscreen wiper. So the original has a horrible pin and hole fitting which is so fiddly it just a pain in the butt. So got a couple of modern hook fitting wipers and combined the two, my old one to maintain the wiperbox fitting and the new one to have the hook end. Well worth the modification as it looks better and I can add a flat aero blade now with ease.

20150321_125608_zpsgaogwgku.jpg

20150321_130128_zps3mfy9kct.jpg

20150321_134446_zpsobfckoso.jpg

20150321_130625_zps7sptd0lg.jpg

20150321_134622_zps3jdt04pq.jpg

20150321_134631_zpsluiol1pf.jpg

20150321_134636_zpsztjsuvct.jpg

20150321_135922_zpsirg2kbbe.jpg

This is a neat modification. It is one easy to overlook.

I am not at this stage as yet, changing the wheel box and drive cable is challenging me at the moment. It is difficult to believe how much has to be removed to get at it. Or am I tackling it in the wrong way?

Hi Adrian. They started with wheel box and built the car around it. :scared:

Someone else made this comment to me recently.

Pain of a job taking out the dash and all those damn wires to label.

I have a new old type Mini wheel box I hope this is the correct one!

Someone else made this comment to me recently.

Pain of a job taking out the dash and all those damn wires to label.

I have a new old type Mini wheel box I hope this is the correct one!

For a job as involved as this, I wouldn't "hope".

Did you try running on the unused section of the wheel 1st?

Edited by Denis247

On the esprit it's fairly straight forward if you are able to extend your arms around the doors (picture: mister fantastic extended rubber arms), got a mate to help in the end that was definitely a two man job. The elite I wouldn't know, however if it were me I'd remove just the center switch panel first to get a good visual of what lies ahead. Have a look back through my pages, there's a photo of all the dash removed, I'm sure that could help. Good luck!

For a job as involved as this, I wouldn't "hope".

Did you try running on the unused section of the wheel 1st?

I am 3/4 the way through removing the dash so have not yet removed the wheel box to investigate where the wear has taken place.

Strangely I still can not see it. More dismantling I presume.

It's a right b*gger of a job, but as you're 3/4 through I'd persevere. I've even heard the story of people cutting out a section of bodywork near the wheelbox to access it, rather than dismantling the dash/heater etc.

Using the "unused" section of the wheelbox is a good temp 'fix', coupled with a new rack-cable, cheap & easy to do. This is what I would do 1st if there was too much slop.

I think you'll find the wheelbox is not the same as a mini, the diameter of the bit where the arm fixes is one point, but also the Lotus box is designed for 1 wiper arm to sweep over a larger area. These have a larger wheel in the box, but there are also larger wheelboxes around that have the wrong size o/p, so I'd get the proper one from Lotus spares.

Edited by ramjet

If you look at this photo even with the entire dash out it is still not obvious how you access the wiper box. To the left hand side you can see the wiper motor, to my eye it looks like the box is behind the heater matrix or somewhere about there. You all know what I would do, cut an access panel and have done.

20140705_195653_zps48cd2877.jpg

As I said above, cutting a section of bodywork used to be the bodge a few people have used in the past to do this job,

I took the entire heater out when I first had problems years ago, and if you do, take the opportunity to check the heater fans, both how they work and their mounting .. it's another not-so-easy job to do later, one of mine knocks a bit in the housing on a bumpy corner, very annoying.

• Like 1

What I considered would be a simple job of changing a wiper wheel box is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

I take the point of checking the heater fans, a good idea. At the same time I will be cleaning up the earth connections I can see.

• Like 1

I know everybody says dash off and heaterbox out to remove the wiper wheelbox but i removed mine and refitted it without doing that or cutting a hole.

Not sure if this will work for everybody but give it a try!

I removed the wiper arm, undid the wiper spindle nut, then in the car removed the wiper motor mount and undid the gland nut on the wiper drive tube and the electrical connections.

Then pulled the motor away with drive spring pulling out of the tube and put it on the bench to overhaul.

This left the drive tube and spindle box,i then pushed the spindle box into the space behind the heater and pulled it out with the tube, its tight but does go.

Putting it back requires a bit of fishing about but again wasnt a problem.

Edited by pbharcourt
  • Like 2

Now this is the advice I require. I had wondered along these lines and possibly attaching a wire or piece of string to the wheel box wiper attachment area to help replacement.

However the easiest way of detatching the drive from the motor is to remove the cover on the motor and remove the crank held by a circlip. The tubing assembly then just slips out. Either way still a good idea. Many thanks for that.

Now this is the advice I require. I had wondered along these lines and possibly attaching a wire or piece of string to the wheel box wiper attachment area to help replacement.

However the easiest way of detatching the drive from the motor is to remove the cover on the motor and remove the crank held by a circlip. The tubing assembly then just slips out. Either way still a good idea. Many thanks for that.

I wondered this as well, but as I was recovering the dash it made sense to remove the dash & heater.

btw, I agree with pbharcout re removing the wiper motor after 1st undoing the gland nut. You need to pull the wheel box out with the tube attached, and the motor and drive cable out of the way..