Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacing Reversing Camera - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacing Reversing Camera

Can I just check then.... If I spend £30 on a Sony, and not £200 on a replacement Alpine, the results are just the same? ( which means I can essentially afford to accidentally jet wash the camera 7 more times and still come out on top?

How easy was it to fit?

Edited by 80in3rd

• 1 year later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi All,

My camera is still playing up when it gets wet (not pressure washer, just rainfall) and I think it needs to be replaced. I don't particularly want to pay the Lotus inflated price for the original since I suspect it will fail again in due course anyway. I see that according to a previous post the original was the HCE-105 but this doesn't seem to be widely available but the HCE-115 is. Does anyone know if the 115 will fit as a direct replacement or not?

This alternative camera (with Sony CCD) as mentioned in another previous post looks like a better unit for less money but is probably more hassle to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EONON-A0120-Color-SONY-CCD-CAMERA-DE-RECUL-REAR-CAMERA-/191550836050?hash=item2c9951cd52:g:FhsAAOSwBLlVHpnI#shpCntId

If I were to tackle this myself what needs to be removed from the car to gain access to the camera mount itself and can anyone comment on the pros and cons of using the Alpine unit vs the alternative?

Many thanks

-Chris

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Did anyone get round to replacing their reversing camera?

My OE alpine camera has just packed up and I haven't had much luck finding a like for like replacement, so interested to know what cameras people have had good results from.  The easier the install, the better :)

Hey Nigel, how's things? No more frolics?

May  be worth having a chat to Car Audio Centre who should be able to tell you which cameras they have which are compatible with your head unit. The Alpine ones here are a little expensive but may be the easiest install

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category.asp?m=&c=8584&brandfilter=3&features=&pageItem=12&sort_by_popularity=DESC&v=

Hi Paul, all is good cheers.

Spent a week going round Germany with Tony last year instead of the Frolic - included Spa, Bilster Berg & Zandvoort trackdays.  Can't see a suitable grouping of trackdays on this years calendars at the moment, so might be back on the Frolic in August :)

The HCE-C115 looks like the nearest equivalent from Alpine - I've emailed them to ask if the C115 camera can be used with the power box that's installed with the C105 as it would make it a simple unplug/plug job.  Not heard back from them yet.

A couple of the above posters suggested the EONON-A0120 might produce a better picture, so would be handy to know if anyone has actually fitted one.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody done a replacement on the camera themselves? Is it a full "bumper off" job or is there a fiddlier but easier way to do it? 

Got the Sony replacement but most of the garages and dealers sit and scratch their heads at it.

I have just ordered an Alpine replacement camera (HCE-C125) and hope to self fit next week.

It is a bumper off job from what I have read.

To remove/refit rear bumper

1. From inside the boot, remove the trim panel from around the latch mechanism, and disconnect the harnesses to the rear fog and reverse lamps, parking sensors and reverse camera.

2. From within each rear wheelarch, release the single fixing securing the lower edge of the bumper to the subframe bracket, and the two fixings at each side securing the diffuser finisher to the diffuser. Also release the single fixing securing the top edge of the bumper to the clamshell flange.

3. From within each side of the boot, remove the two grommets, and release the two fixings securing the bumper top edge to the clamshell. Also remove the single screw just outboard of the tail lamp.

4. Remove the 5 fixings along the rear edge of the boot aperture, clamping the bumper to the clamshell.

5. Carefully withdraw the bumper from the clamshell. 6. Refit the bumper in reverse order to removal, adjusting the panel heights and gaps as necessary.

• 7 months later...

I managed to find a NOS original camera on eBay and fitted it today. It took quite a bit longer than the book times due to pre-rounded off hex screws and poor access to the wheel arch tip screw because the car was in the garage with the wheels on.

I think you’d have to have the arms of a certain Mister Man to be able to replace the camera with the bumper in-situ. It’s fiddly even with the bumper off.

Anyway, all done now and working well.

Does anyone know is it possible to adjust the angle of the reversing camera? At the moment I have a fine view of my number plate filling half the screen and have to peer at the extreme top corners to see any cars coming when I'm reversing out of parking spaces... I've had a cursory look at the outside and it seems solidly fixed so I imagine probably not without taking the bumper off?

The camera is held in place by 2 Allen screws that allow you to pivot the camera. The adjustment is quite limited and even though I set mine to look back as far as possible you can still see the number plate at the bottom of the image. If you have a gap at the top of the camera you might have some adjustment left but unfortunately you would need to get access to the Allen screws. I understand it’s possible to get an arm up inside if you release the bumper from the subframe and the diffuser and then lift the bumper over the diffuser trim panel but based on my experience at the weekend this would be tricky and might involve some skin removal.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Okay, thanks to MS69 I was able to get the bumper off, remove a badly damaged and corroded old OE reverse camera and fit the new Sony unit into the gap. I passed all the wires into the boot space and re-fitted the bumper. Not perfectly but it’ll do for now.

Next problem.... The wires from the old camera are RED and BLACK from the power lead, and YELLOW WHITE and BROWN. 

The new camera has the RED and BLACK from the power cable and YELLOW RED and BLACK from the video lead.
Power is self explanatory and I’m assuming yellow to yellow from the other lead. What do I do with the other 2?? 🤔

When I replaced my camera with a generic one from eBay using just the normal phono leads.  I had to run the wires all the way back to the HU.  It was a PITA.  You’re supposed to peel the sill cover off but didn’t want to do that so ran it down the centre console under the seat cushion and the up and through the back on the drivers side rear.  Works great and I also swapped in a Pioneer Sph-130DA has car play which is fantastic.  Only 230pounds for the head unit.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to replace my non-working camera.

Does anyone have an answer as to what ones do work, and are plug and play? (I'd like to just plug it into the connector on the wire that comes from the camera control module by the subwoofer, rather than routing it all the way to the headunit. The Alpine one seems excessive at over £200, considering it's a bit rubbish too!

From the pics it looks like that sony / Eonon one uses a RCA all the way to the headuit?

https://www.eonon.com/all-category/a0120.html

Edited by 92spicer