Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Vulcan Meet - Page 2 - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Vulcan Meet

Jonathan

Its a pity the NEMG is so far Esst.

if we at NMEG were any futher east we would be in Wales, but nice to know you are thinking of us...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an update on this :

Spoke to Maurice the other night and it just gets better...

How does Supercar Sunday -vs- Vulcan -vs- an Airfield track day sound B)

(sounds pretty damn cool to me)

Thats what's being planned atm, Maurice is keeping tabs on it but it looks like early spring next year.

So you'll see all sorts of cars, trip around the vulcan, photos, cold war jet museum, and a blast on the runway which is what is currently being proposed.

Personally sounds like heaven to me so keep an eye on this page at the begining of next year - promises to be an amazing meet !

-------------------------------------------------------------

Concord is another matter, it's just a meet up and tour (which lasts about 90mins !) - from what I gathered there will be photo opportunieis but not with the cars so we'll have to get onto Duxford about that.

Still sounds great though and all for a good cause (if you like aeroplanes) in preserving it.

Again we're looking at early next year for this as it's now fast appraoching x-mas and everyone is busy and cold.

New thread on that as we have more info.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance of getting this stickied at some point ?

I would have thought the meet at the Vulcan will be moderatly popular.

Big thanks to maurice who is doing all the background on this atm.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Personally yes - I'm not organising this BTW just banging the drum.

Originally started when we wanted to go see the vulcan on that other thread but since as we can merge this into another public meet, have more fun driving the cars and watching others and raise more money for the Vulcan - seems a bit silly not to !

Maurce is going to shout me the details soon, I would have thought this will materialise in April or something so for the time being mark the diaries and await more news on who's organising it etc.

Just an update on this :

Spoke to Maurice the other night and it just gets better...

How does Supercar Sunday -vs- Vulcan -vs- an Airfield track day sound B)

(sounds pretty damn cool to me)

Thats what's being planned atm, Maurice is keeping tabs on it but it looks like early spring next year.

So you'll see all sorts of cars, trip around the vulcan, photos, cold war jet museum, and a blast on the runway which is what is currently being proposed.

Personally sounds like heaven to me so keep an eye on this page at the begining of next year - promises to be an amazing meet !

Sounds brilliant to me! Shame I'm in the wrong country or I would be there.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 4 weeks later...
Mourice,

Please count me in. I was at the last Vulcan event you organised. A great day.

Regards,

Peter.

Good to hear from you Peter, it was a bloody hot day, my picture still has pride of place in the Sitting Room. The future pilots of XH558 are using the Vulcan at Wellesbourne for training at the moment.

Just to let you know I am chasing this with the Vulcan guys, seems everybody has been off with flu lately so will try to get some firm details at the beginning of Dec.

As for inviting other Car Clubs - I would appreciatte any help from other marquees for it, to it become a Supercar day with as many different makes as possible

Maurice

Edited by mauricem

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

as progress on the restoration of XH558 progress they have the following:

I was interested in seeing if anybody else wanted to attend so we could meet up as a group.

Maurice

Vulcan Visitors Invitation Phase 2

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 -

XH558 at Bruntingthorpe

You know all about XH558 her history and her future, now is your chance to widen that knowledge and place her and the Vforce into context with a presentation

• 2 weeks later...
As for inviting other Car Clubs - I would appreciatte any help from other marquees for it, to it become a Supercar day with as many different makes as possible

Maurice

Maurice/Jonathan

Thanks for your continued efforts on this I've been following this for a while and like others would like to be counted in as long as the evental date is possible for me - very likely cos I can do most! I also mentioned it on the Autobahnstormers forum (Lotus Carltons) cos a number of those guys are into aviation. Some are already involved to some extent with XH588 and would be up for a meet/visit with other car clubs incl LEF. Contact for this trip would be Peter Harrison (one of those already familiar with the project) and you can contact him at peter.harrison5@virgin.net. Hope that's OK

Rgds Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Maurice/Jonathan

Thanks for your continued efforts on this I've been following this for a while and like others would like to be counted in as long as the evental date is possible for me - very likely cos I can do most! I also mentioned it on the Autobahnstormers forum (Lotus Carltons) cos a number of those guys are into aviation. Some are already involved to some extent with XH588 and would be up for a meet/visit with other car clubs incl LEF. Contact for this trip would be Peter Harrison (one of those already familiar with the project) and you can contact him at peter.harrison5@virgin.net. Hope that's OK

Rgds Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will try to progress this as there seem a lot of interest but some of the other guys have been away.

Will contact Peter and try to get something on the move

Maurice

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to say that this is starting to move forward and an event should be identified within the next week or two. As yet I am thrashing out the details to make sure its a day to remember for any aircraft enthusiast.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't read the whole thread but just a suggestion not necessarily for this meet but a future one. When I was flying into Norwich airport the other day, down below I am sure they had a Vulcan bomber present. Now I think it is something to do with the air museum close by. i can check this with my brother as he did volunteer work there for a bit.

Regards

Adam

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

Just a quick note to say that this is starting to move forward and an event should be identified within the next week or two. As yet I am thrashing out the details to make sure its a day to remember for any aircraft enthusiast.

Excellent... really looking forward to this Maurice :D

James

• 3 weeks later...
On the subject of old planes, anyone returning from the factory day along the A17/A47 (can't remember exactly where) will have passed a rather mint Hawker Hunter just parked up on the frontage of, I think, a motel! Would have loved to have stopped but missus was turning green by that point and looking forward to home!

IF any.........

of you guys had just got out of nick at Ford prison West sussex ( been a few famous faces and heroes done time there ) you would have walked past , ( with your government train pass grasped firmly in your hand) a rather perfect example of a Navy Hunter on a pole as a gate guardian.

It was past this WW" airfield that Neville Duke first broke the sound barrier (level flight over the sea) a few hundred yards South in the fifties in a Hawker Hunter.

Just thought you might like to know that.

I used to build my boats in the old Photo-Recon buildings that are steeped in our glorious history so readily rubbished by todays ungrateful

leaders of this once Great Britain.....................

Many a clandestine flight into Occupied France by so many very Brave Souls took off from Ford.

My heart bleeds for the future..........................

Mike

Edited by MKE40

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

Hi all, newbie to the forum here.

I was directed this way by Kimbers after he posted some "cross forum harmony" words on LotusElanCentral.com (and I also had the pleasure of meeting him and his Dad at Brands just yesterday).

If a trip to visit XH558 does happen then I'd love to be able to tag along in my M100 Elan.

My first love was aircraft and the Vulcan used to do the best display of the lot.

Later this year people who have never seen (and particularly heard) her fly before are going to be in for a shock!

In fact after XH558 landed for the last time I stopped going to airshows. They just weren't the same.

Last year I started going again. RAF Waddington which is just South of Lincoln has a classic car display when it's excellent airshow is on, and they let me take my Elan along. It's worth getting involved because you get free admission to the airshow for the whole weekend! Waddington used to be one of the biggest Vulcan bases, and it also happens to have XM609 (the Vulcan that bombed Port Stanley) standing guard on it's perimeter. I even got to meet the display pilot - David Thomas at the show.

I'm in Nottingham so Bruntingthorpe is just down the road from me, and it would be great to meet up with a few other Lotus enthusiasts.

I'll try to post a pic that I took near to my folk's home in Skegness a few weeks ago (if I can get it to display properly):

post-3373-1174844334.jpg

The car display at the airshow seems so successful that Fairford are now doing the same.

We have a date at last, just what your looking for so details have been posted to Bibs and will be announced.

As this is at Bruntingthorpe and the Vulcan is in pieces, they are not sure if it will be appearing, but considering the first display flight is at the Falklands Fly Past on June 17th, it should be close, just waiting for the organiser to confirm or deny.

Maurice

Hi all, newbie to the forum here.

I was directed this way by Kimbers after he posted some "cross forum harmony" words on LotusElanCentral.com (and I also had the pleasure of meeting him and his Dad at Brands just yesterday).

If a trip to visit XH558 does happen then I'd love to be able to tag along in my M100 Elan.

My first love was aircraft and the Vulcan used to do the best display of the lot.

Later this year people who have never seen (and particularly heard) her fly before are going to be in for a shock!

In fact after XH558 landed for the last time I stopped going to airshows. They just weren't the same.

Last year I started going again. RAF Waddington which is just South of Lincoln has a classic car display when it's excellent airshow is on, and they let me take my Elan along. It's worth getting involved because you get free admission to the airshow for the whole weekend! Waddington used to be one of the biggest Vulcan bases, and it also happens to have XM609 (the Vulcan that bombed Port Stanley) standing guard on it's perimeter. I even got to meet the display pilot - David Thomas at the show.

I'm in Nottingham so Bruntingthorpe is just down the road from me, and it would be great to meet up with a few other Lotus enthusiasts.

I'll try to post a pic that I took near to my folk's home in Skegness a few weeks ago (if I can get it to display properly):

post-3373-1174844334.jpg

I would like to put forward the event to meet up at Bruntingthorpe on the 27th of May for their Cold War Jets Open Day.

I have spoken to the organiser who have said that they normally have 5000 people on the day, and are willing to put our cars on Hard Ground next to the Lightning (plane) sheds

They should have plane taxiing on the runway every 30 minutes from 10:00 to 16:00 and have food vans there. As this is being organised by the TVOC (the Vulcan Operating Company), they are not being paid any of the entrance fees so have asked if we minded put our cars on show with some XH558 buckets next to them to raise funds for the restoration of the Vulcan, which should have made its maiden flight by the end of May.

I am trying to arrange some kind of photoshoot, but still waiting an outcome.

Some website about the open day are below, but they are not very detailed.

http://brunty.bravehost.com/

List of aircraft at :

http://brunty.bravehost.com/airframes.htm

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mus/uk/brunt/brunt.htm

As this is fairly central, may be worth finding a fairly local pub that we can go to after for a pint and/or a bite to eat if anybody is interested.

Some rules that the owner of the airfield has stated due to insurance reasons :-

1/ NO MOVEMENT of Cars, No Fast TAXI runs, STATIC only,

2/ Must be on hard standing next to the lightning sheds,

3/ ALL PERSONS IN THE CARS MUST PAY THE

Sounds great Maurice. Its a real shame its the day immediately after Castle Combe, but I guess that cant be helped. May affect attendance tho. I'll start working on it ! :)

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Sounds great Maurice. Its a real shame its the day immediately after Castle Combe, but I guess that cant be helped. May affect attendance tho. I'll start working on it ! :)

Yes, pity it is the same weekend. Glad you can assist

Maurice

Blimey - had a right scare, I fly back from Rome on the 26th !

Result - thought it was the week after so it shouldn't be a problem - hopefully Lotus will have my front damper springs to me by then...

This sounds fab. I would like to go please :rolleyes:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm at the mercy of Lotus atm with parts, GT3 layed up for the past 6 weeks ;)

When I have a yay or nay I'll let you know - 3/4 through 607 Vulcan atm so I'd love to get down there !!