Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My new S4s has let me down! - Page 6 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My new S4s has let me down!

Stimpy

I think you've had a bad start to Lotus owning. So sorry to hear about your experiences. Its this type of thing that gives Lotus' a bad name. When in reality it is: previous owners who haven't kept up with servicing and are moving the car on knowingly with a fault and garages who don't know about the fault - but also don't know what they're looking for. As the charge cooler is not working - they need to put it right. It's the sale of goods act. The car is not fit for purpose. And whilst we don't expect it to be in A1 order - it does need to perform its rudimentary function - i.e drive. I would tell them that you are sending them the part and you expect them to fit it.

I would also expect them to recover it. The car can't be driven down there BECAUSE they sold you a car that has broken down.

From a private sale - it is a case of buyer beware. From a garage - you are paying a premium to have a car that is to all intent and purposes "sorted".

It's okay - I'm a seasoned Lotus lover!  I also don't agree with "Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious" (does everyone know that one?).

In 1999 I had a Lotus Esprit S4s which I loved to bits.  I've had these 'non Lotus' cars in the past:

MG Montego Turbo (don't laugh! That car was astonishingly quick at accelerating- all through the front wheels!)

3 x minis

Sapphire Cosworth

Audi A3

Rover 600

Rover 75

Current: Honda Civic, daft mini, Riley Elf, Triumph Stag, Lotus S4s

Jaguar XKR

My Lotus history:-

Lotus Esprit S4s (1999)

Caterham 7 (sort of Lotus)

Lotus Elise (Mk2)

So this will be my 4th Lotus.

My first S4s was amazing as it was and still is the most reliable car I've ever had/have - amazing to think - considering it's a supercar!

I've ordered an electric charge-cooler pump kit so I might try to send it on to the dealer and ask them to fit it as a way of recompense.

I was sort of p*ssed off about getting the car too them but thinking about it - If I bought a purple sausage making machine and it broke after 4 weeks I would take it back to the shop (i.e., I wouldn't ask the to come and pick it up).  Well that's my way of handling the anger/angst/anxiety/annoyance  and other negative conditions starting with the letter 'A'.

Anyhoo - I know that the S4s is a great car - but there's something wrong with mine and now the dealer has it and it's for them to fix.  I am hoping that - despite the symptoms being the same - they son't fix 'another' issue that makes it work (i.e. that they don't fix the original problem if there's a coincidence going on- does that make any sense?).  Anyway - I will now play the waiting game.

I just though! I'll ask them to make the Aircon work too!

BTW The car is not a dealer S/H car - it's something about them selling it on behalf of a customer setup - but they have to give a 'show stopper' warranty.  Something like that.

I hope they don't keep it for 2 months or so - I can't imagine it hopping to the top of the list of cars requiring services that will be profit making.

My victory of the week?  Got the dipped and head lights working on the mini!  One trap though - can't get permanent main beam (I can get pull-and-flash  but not push and leave flash off

I remember that car,it was for sale a few years ago,I don't know if it helps but I believe that it was not garaged and was off the road for years but was started up on occasions .Lovely car.

Edited by espritmania

Actually - the dealer said that (how do you know?)

5 years with no service stamps and 3000 miles usage.  Why would you keep it for half a decade in that situation?  Some people!

UPDATE.

It's confirmed as arrived at the Dealer's

Anyone care to guess how long a non profit making (costed) customer car will take to mend?   (Rhetorical!)

I've emailed Ken about the electric charge cooler kit I've ordered and if they could fit it.

I've also asked if the aircon could be fixed.

I miss my esprit........

Actually it's not unknown for ppl to keep their Esprits till they have money to run them. A guy here in Sweden had an S3 Turbo that was off the road forever until he got the funds for a full engine rebuild and gearbox overhaul...

It makes sense. One can look at it and have it until one is able to drive it.. Which is quite nice in itself.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Indeed - if it's not a daily car and suddenly you're faced with a costly situation (say, head gasket failure and warped head) you could keep it in a carcoon and save up for the job.

Google 'carcoon' for details about that system - I've bought one and it's currently protecting my Stag - I recommend it.

If they were selling it on behalf of a customer they will have factored in enough to make it worth  while.  What happens now will show how goof they are as obviously every penny they spend now is less margin for them.   In my business I tend to find the odd warrantee problem customer looked after properly becomes an even better future customer and recommends us more than those where their are no problems.

Great freudian slip in there!  Anyway your info is something that worries me, i.e. when will I get it back?  Will it be fixed with care and not 'as quick as possible we're not getting paid for this'.  This is going to be a good test of their customer relations

NOTICE:  This thread has gone on for 7 pages.  May I thank each and every one of you for trying to be of help!?!?  I would like it to end with "all is fixed now and I love it to bits" and thereby end the thread!  Fingers X'd

Great freudian slip in there!  Anyway your info is something that worries me, i.e. when will I get it back?  Will it be fixed with care and not 'as quick as possible we're not getting paid for this'.  This is going to be a good test of their customer relations

NOTICE:  This thread has gone on for 7 pages.  May I thank each and every one of you for trying to be of help!?!?  I would like it to end with "all is fixed now and I love it to bits" and thereby end the thread!  Fingers X'd

I'm not gonna bore the forum once more with the story of what the dealer and workshop did to me when I bought my Esprit, but I'll say this: don't have too high hopes on the job being done PROPERLY. When you get the car back, upon collection at least ask them WHAT they did - if the dealer isn't technical, ask for the mechanic - note down what the guy says and check for yourself then verify with everyone here whether it's feasible.

Trust no-one. Question everything.

I'm a cynic as you can see, but better to err on the side of caution rather than have your hopes dashed. It's just a car. The problem will eventually be found and....Terminated.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Glad to hear the Car is back with Snows.... it really is there job to put this right. I would print this thread out and pass it to Ken or even Alex at the dealer, its a pretty comprehensive record of the issues you have had and possible areas of fault/bits to address from some seasoned esprit aficionados!

Good Luck with it!

Print it out.... good idea!

I do send quite a few emails but don't get much of a response.  Being a small team I suppose they could be busy.

7 pages of thread advice - an esprit taken back to the garage - over 10 emails, 5 texts, 15 telephone calls to mobile 5 telephone calls to the dealership and nothing!

Except 'it made it here' when I asked (the day after) if it had got their safely.

1 1/2 weeks and I have no knowledge about my car.

And I seriously miss it

I would have thought that a salesman and an enthusiast would want to see a customer's car working properly.

You'll have probably guessed that I have a certain science behind this now:

Result: The car finally conked out fully, moving it from 'hard to prove' intermittent .

Paranoia: The car developed a different fault - possibly 'encouraged' by the real fault.

I JUST WANT IT BACK!!!

My bet is that it is the fuel cut-off switch...which cuts fuel if there is a roll-over...that you have had problems on inclines is what leads me to believe this switch is faulty cutting off the fuel pump.  Hence your sudden quick stall...the sensor has to react quickly to stop a potential fire from a fuel pump continually running.

If it is no start right now it should be easy to ascertain the issue...first check for codes...then check fuel pressure, check spark, check the roll-over fuel cut off...

If someone had not got back to me in a week I would leave a message that if I have to drive up there to get an answer there will be hell to pay when I arrive...give them a deadline for them to call you back!  Then if it has to come to it drive up there...

7 pages of thread advice - an esprit taken back to the garage - over 10 emails, 5 texts, 15 telephone calls to mobile 5 telephone calls to the dealership and nothing!

With that in mind, it might be an idea to give Snows a chance to fix the car. The measure of a garage or any business for that matter is how they deal with problems, not the problems themselves especially in a car which is 16 years old and as we know hasn't been loved for a few years sat on someone's driveway.

Now they have the car, it's time to have some patience. They are a huge company (28 showrooms I believe) and from my experience of meeting many of their staff, including the CEO, they are enthusiasts and Ken has been involved in Lotus Cars for a long, long time.

You will get your car back, it will be fixed and you will be happy but in my opinion, stamping your feet publicly on the internet isn't helping. Have some patience with them, it's not an exact science but I'm sure you will at some point soon be pleased with the outcome. :)

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

My bet is that it is the fuel cut-off switch...which cuts fuel if there is a roll-over...that you have had problems on inclines is what leads me to believe this switch is faulty cutting off the fuel pump.  Hence your sudden quick stall...the sensor has to react quickly to stop a potential fire from a fuel pump continually running.

If it is no start right now it should be easy to ascertain the issue...first check for codes...then check fuel pressure, check spark, check the roll-over fuel cut off...

If someone had not got back to me in a week I would leave a message that if I have to drive up there to get an answer there will be hell to pay when I arrive...give them a deadline for them to call you back!  Then if it has to come to it drive up there...

I did a check (when it stopped starting completely) to have the car facing uphill and down hill.  there is no difference (if that answers the fuel switch off thing).  Does the fuel cut off automatically come back on?  Up to now I had to wait a while and then it would work but now it's permanent off.

And........

I got a voicemail this morning from the dealer! Hooray!  Only issue is - I've tried to call back several times during the day to no avail.  But will try again tomorrow.

With that in mind, it might be an idea to give Snows a chance to fix the car. The measure of a garage or any business for that matter is how they deal with problems, not the problems themselves especially in a car which is 16 years old and as we know hasn't been loved for a few years sat on someone's driveway.

Now they have the car, it's time to have some patience. They are a huge company (28 showrooms I believe) and from my experience of meeting many of their staff, including the CEO, they are enthusiasts and Ken has been involved in Lotus Cars for a long, long time.

You will get your car back, it will be fixed and you will be happy but in my opinion, stamping your feet publicly on the internet isn't helping. Have some patience with them, it's not an exact science but I'm sure you will at some point soon be pleased with the outcome. :)

I take on your point and I admire your optimism.

Now there has been a response I feel that things might be moving.

Hopefully - despite the lack of contact - they wouldn't leave a customer's Lotus sat in a corner somewhere being ignored so my hope is that despite my frustrations there's probably *something* happening that I won't know about.

Ken is the sort of person you'd like to talk to in a pub.  h/e also has a lot of enthusiasm.  The lack of contact has twisted my perception but it might be me that is making the waiting game more aggravating than it really is.

That is my hope.

P.S. The contact is key because I would like to know if they will fix the air con and convert the charge cooler to electric - even if I have to pay something.

An Update!!!!

They say the fuel pump is broken.

Interestingly they said the fuel tanks were bone dry - but I put 2 gals of Shell's finest in it before it was trailered away...

• Gold FFM

Rusted fuel tanks as well possibly?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)