Loteuk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were great cars weren't they? ;)

My very first car was a red Dolomite Sprint - not a terribly sensible choice, as will become clear. Absolutely adored it and spent every minute of my spare time out driving it.

Unfortunately, being a typical young/reckless male driver I suffered from the usual delusions of invincibility. The result being that the car met with a very nasty end involving a corner, a wet road and a concrete lamp post some six months later ;)

Needless to say, as a young (and stupid) know-it-all I'd also 'saved' money by insuring it Third Party Fire and Theft only ;) My father's "I told you so" comment really didn't help. A lesson learned.

Edited by Tentenths

I had a Dolly Sprint, one of the last ones, when I was at Austin-Rover. I rememer sleeping in it one night at Snetterton and had a freezing draft coming through the quarterlight where there was a gap in the seal. On cold mornings the carburetters would ice up. Helped me practice heel and toeing, I suppose. One winter, we had snow and I could not get the damn thing up the hill out of my cul-de-sac that morning while everybody drove past with no trouble. Took my girlfriend's Austin 1100 instead. Traction was lousy in anything but dry conditions. But I liked it and was a great tow car for the old Formula Ford I had at the time. It was economical and reasonably fast and comfortable. I never crashed it but my boss at work crashed his and a friend, some time later, did a Tentenths and flew off a country lane to the demise of his car.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Started packing the Esprit yesterday, ready for the big trip. It really is an exersize in logistics getting everything in, but its almost done now.

Final assembly and tests will be carried out tonight on the watercannon, and I will writing some excuses for when we are stopped by the police.

If anybody is stopping over in Dover on Wednesday night give me a bell on 07803021401 for a meet. We are on the 07.55 P&O ferry Thusday morning.

Ian I hope you get the Esprit sorted in time.

mmm I loved my Dolomite, but I also had a Morris Minor with a hole in the passenger foot well. I'm sure a rubber bung would have fixed it but it was always a good laugh soaking the passengers. I met a chap at Goodwood Breakfast (super cars) the other weekend - I used to baby sit his daughters and he used to take his Panterra to Le Mans, his camping area was obviously rather more swish than the Triumph lot!

Slightly upsetting to know his girls are now 17 and 19! I was a very young baby sitter...

Have a great time everyone - post some piccies please!

LouX :whistle:

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

All set. I'm leaving tonight from Portsmouth on the overnight ferry to Caen and just found out it's 94p a min to take phone calls in France :no

Staying in Aire Accueil Karting Nord so look out for the Lotus flag on my tent and Cossie parked up nearby, plus perhaps either a drunk or hungover blonde guy looking for a decent cold beer!

See you either Friday morning or evening in the bar :no

Safe journey folks, enjoy the racing :D

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Will keep my eye out....

We are heading down on the 7am Friday ferry from Dover -> Bolougne. I am heading down with my Dad (unfortunately the Esprit wasn't ready in time so we are going in his BMW M6) and meeting up at Houx Annexe with a group of guys from my work who are heading down ysterday/today.

Hope eveyone has a good time, and watch out for the friendly gendarmes on the way down! :no

Edited by lemoncurd

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

• Gold FFM

Its ready to go! Picked up Esprit this morning from SWLC. New rear suspension, new rear tyres, replaced brakepipes and a 'C' service. Feels better than ever :no Big thanks to Phil and team for getting it ready in time.

Leaving home around 3am, :no then leaving Portsmouth on 7.30am crossing.

8 of us going. Just spoken to the first 2 who have arrived and pitched all tents for us already this morning. Just need to turn up and let the enjoyment begin.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Its ready to go! Picked up Esprit this morning from SWLC. New rear suspension, new rear tyres, replaced brakepipes and a 'C' service. Feels better than ever :no Big thanks to Phil and team for getting it ready in time.

Leaving home around 3am, :no then leaving Portsmouth on 7.30am crossing.

8 of us going. Just spoken to the first 2 who have arrived and pitched all tents for us already this morning. Just need to turn up and let the enjoyment begin.

Bring us back a stick of rock maaaaate :crybaby:

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

• Gold FFM
Bring us back a stick of rock maaaaate :crybaby:

Still not too late Tony - go on, you know you want to really :no

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

:smoke:

I'm in my tent at Le Mans, the atmosphere is great and we're having a lovely time. Beers are chilling, BBQ is warming and if only you could hear the noises from the track!

Might post some pics later :lol:

Guest Troy Halliday

Well here goes another year of a broken promise to myself. Maybe I should not promise to go next year then I may actualy make it there.

;)

I'm in my tent at Le Mans, the atmosphere is great and we're having a lovely time. Beers are chilling, BBQ is warming and if only you could hear the noises from the track!

Might post some pics later ;)

You cannot kid us Bibs. ;)

We know that you are getting a right hosing down. Its hissin' down here [left

The coverage on Motors TV was really first class, excellent commentators and good intervews. Even the camera work was in the main very good .

AND Bibs , make sure that the LEF tent is nice and clean before we need it again ! ;)

See you at the next exravaganza.............

Mike

Edited by MKE40

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

It did rain quite some this year but that didn't stop us having a great time and loads of laughs.

Highlights were plentiful but booting along the Mulsanne straight at great speed was fun and the action there later in the day was spot on with all manner of supercars having a laugh leaving plenty or rubber on the tarmac! Car wise, it's odd to have see many supercars in one place. I wouldn't say you get used to them being everywhere but it's still a strange experience! Ferrari's a plenty (F40's and F50's!), Lambo's, more Corvettes than you can shake a stick at, Porsche's (inc a beautiful 911S and a Carerra GT or two!), TVR's, an Audi R8 or two, you name it, it was there and there were no doubt a few of them!

It was a great atmosphere as ever although I'll be giving the Houx Annexe Friday night activities a miss in the future, that wasn't what Le Mans is about at all.

We eat well, drank plenty (erm,

• Gold FFM

Arrived back at 4.30pm yesterday and have just woken from a 14 hour recovery/sleep. The whole 5 days was a totally amazing experiance that has gone by in a blur. 8 out of 9 of us arrived at Le Mans (1 couldn't get through passport control as trying on an out of date passport didn't prove successful) Had to join us two days later after trip to Newport, flight to Paris, train to Le Mans ect ect. On arrival all tents were pitched and it was felt beers should be sampled. Around 1am the first night we were aware of a blond haired, slightly bearded stranger in our midst, who had on inspection, obviosly been quaffing large amounts of Guiness. (guesses anybody?) With around 300000 people attending another friendly face was camped 100 metres from us.

Great grandstand seats around 25 metres before the start/finish line. The build up to the race was really well done and the sights and especially the sounds of those cars made your hair stand on end as 50 of them came thundering past as the race began.

Camping inside the circuit but aprox half mile from the grandstand meant a bit of leg stretching every now and again getting to and fro the tent. The weather to say the least could have been kinder but didn't in any way detract from the whole "Le Mans" experiance. Don't think I've seen so many people in one place at the same time before. The Esprit behaved pretty well too over 650 miles - Oil pressure on tickover was noticeably low and the windscreen seal was slightly breached by the shear quantity of rain on the journey down through France. A headlight bulb is out and another complete set of Lotus dust caps went missing were the only mishaps.

Only 2 other Esprits seen - a red S4 and a black 'G' turbo at the port on the way home. I'll post more pics of the trip when I can.

Highly recommended to anybody thinking of going. Thats me next to this little beauty on Ferry on way over.

post-910-1182249077.jpg

Edited by mayesprit

got back yesterday evening after approx 800 miles in my lads s2 elise, with 2 support vehicles (astra vxr and sri turbo) thank god we took the big tent and gazebo to shelter from the odd patch of rain :) sadly saw no esprit's this year but plenty of other exortica.

this years highlights:-

1) being there

2) Aston finally winning

3) 800 miles of smooth tarmac, traffic free french roads

downside:-

1) Friday morning cancelled - roads to mulsanne and arnarge blocked, so no traditional bacon sandwich and tea at arnarge, followed by frequent trips along circuit to scare overweight porches through tight bends, then looking at all other superb cars parked-up.

2) missed historic race - all those lovely gt40's, P3's, elan 26R? etc

3) RAIN

4) backache - must take esprit one year

still must arrange in advance to meet fellow esprit owners - hope you all enjoyed it, if you didn't go, book for next year and pray for decent weather

br Paul

Got back 10pm Monday night, with another 1000+ miles on the orange lady with no mishaps except for a mysterious crack in the bottom nearside corner of the windscreen.

Not seen that much rain in La sarthe since 2001, but still, just meant more time in the onsite marquee drinking beer, listening to the race on radio Le mans. I think they need to get rid of the rediculous notion of bringing the safety car out every time it rains.

Friday was a day of mixed fortunes. As we had a lay in due to over indulgence in Arnage on Friday night ( did anyone see the Police using pepper spray on a couple of Dutch lads with water pistols) we did not get down to the circuit till mid day, by this time the police had closed off Arnage & Indianapolis corner, so we had no fun with the water cannon, then we almost had a fight on Mulsanne cuz we would'nt do a burn out. Two reasons, one. I've seen what happens when this goes wrong, and two. I'm not willing to blow my clutch for anyone's entertainment.

Friday afternoon we spent at the classic british welcome at St Saturain. This is where all the cars park for the parade and there is food and drink available for weary travellers and even a free car wash! Not to mention a great display of cars, including a couple of JPS Esprits.

The trip home is always as entertaining as the drive down, with a few high speed runs with other supercars.

As usual a great weekend, but Bibs is right we need to organise something more formal for next year.

PS I think it's going to take all next weekend to clean the orange lady, and get rid of the half of France that has stuck to her.