Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s tyres? - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s tyres?

I now need some new 235/40 x 17 fronts, as the originals have been condemned.

So far, I've found Continental Sport Contact 5 for £140. Not sure about the Toyo's, I can only find a Proxes Sport and T-1 Sport (not sure what the difference is) in that size, but they're a bit of an unknown quantity to me. As for the Pirellis, they're ridiculous prices, and must be made from unicorn's hooves.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pirellis are always expensive,  toyos have a good reputation for grip,  but a lot of folks say they wear quickly, i can only presume they use a slightly softer rubber for better grip that wears quicker ?

To be fair Falken tyres have always served me well and come in all esprit tyre sizes including the s4 and v8,  a lot of porsche owners now use them :)

A

• Gold FFM

Looks like Falken have a potential axle matching option in the Azenis FK510 UHP tyre. They do the correct size for the rears, but they don't seem to do a front in the correct size; nearest I can get is 245/40R17,  which I believe is still okay. Whether that extra width will have an adverse effect on the steering weight/feel I don't know.

The Toyo Proxes Sport was a new tyre the came out last year I think. I wasn't a huge fan of the Toyo tyres last time I ran them, but that was T1-Rs nearly ten years ago. Things have moved on since then and maybe they're worth a try again.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

I had another look around earlier, there's a Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 on Black Circles and F1 Autocentres which appear to have good reviews, and it's available in 235/40 x 17 for £146. I like the sound of those. Not available for rears, though.

F1 has Goodyear Eagle F1 for £141 in the same size.

Margate Exotics.

Indeed it would, as the 285/35-18 is actually a bit narrow for even a 10,0" rim, according to some tyre makers. And 235/40-17 is also a bit narrow for a 8,5" rim. You can even see it visually when it's installed on the Wheel, naturally depending on the brand of tyre installed.

Paul, could you tell a bit more of the pro's and con's of the AD08?

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I run the AD08R's on mine.  235 40 17  on front and 295 30 18 rear..   I do run a 10.5  rear but the tyre sits very well on that ..  The 235 40's fill the rim on the front perfect , where  some tyre brands seem a little thin and the 245 fit better.. Not sure why that is,  just is..   I also had them with the RPB  which cost a bit more but look better when fitted.     As far as performance goes, they are the best tyre I have ever had on the Esprit.. The grip level is outstanding even in the wet, which i was very pleasantly surprised with.. Important to note I have the AD08R's which are promoted as being much better in the wet than the AD08's   Obviously the ware rate will be quicker, than std road tyres, but i would prefer to pay for regular new tyres, rather than new rims or worse from an unwelcome slide..    When you consider the limited miles we do,  6k out of a set is a couple of years. When you consider a set same as I have will only knock you circa £850,  I feel is a win win..  You get ....  Matching set ...Grippy as ****.....and not a lot of Wonga.   

• Like 2

as part of my GT3 rebuild I needed a new pair of fronts for my Nova's, as I have Goodyear F1 on the back I wanted to match, but it now seems they dont do the 235 anymore, so I have gone for 245

• 5 months later...
  • Gold FFM

The Nankang NS2R comes in the correct size front and rear for the S4s. Had a pair fitted to the front rims last Friday but waiting for the rears to be delivered to my local fitter, hopefully end of this week or early next.

Once I've got the brakes all reassembled I shall report back on them, subject to the MOT passing...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM
On 24/11/2019 at 21:45, Jacques said:

Tom, did you get them and fitted? How do they perform?

Kind regards,

jacques

Sorry I missed this post at the time @Jacques I only just spotted it now while looking for something else.

I did get them fitted. There was a bit of a delay getting the rears delievered to my local fitter. Sadly I've not been able to drive on them yet because I'm still part way through sorting the brakes and cooling system on the car, but I'll let you know my thoughts on them when I get it back on the road.

What I can say is that a friend of mine has them on his TVR Cerbera and the feedback from him is that they're very good. They're not great in the wet as I'm sure you can appreciate given the type of tyre they are, but they're cretainly not death traps in the wet and will get you where you're going safely if you drive with the conditions in mind.

• 1 year later...