Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Esprit S4 appreciation thread - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Esprit S4 appreciation thread

Loose Cannon

In the spirit of the S3 appreciation thread I'd like to start one for that other unsung hero, the S4.

It's been a bit in the shade of late with many people placing it's younger brother the S4s on a pedestal. Even when new it had to fight for magazine space with the Sport 300 launched at the same time.

And yet it was a huge leap forward for the model when it came out. Coming so soon after the "form over function" Highwing, it brought the car bang up to date and placed it firmly back into comparison tests with cars costing half as much again. Even for me as a Lotus nut I'd almost forgotten the Esprit as a desirable proposition by 1991. I couldn't forgive the Stevens restyle of the Giugiaro masterpiece (even if it did look a bit passe at the time, hard to believe now), but the S4 blew me away. After that, and I have to stress IMHO, the Esprit again wandered off path. OK the S4s had more power but it also gained polished wood which looks as contrived as a Rover 75, split rim "kit car" wheels, and a really silly wing you have to lift your luggage over. Sanity only returned with the V8GT and GT3

It might look a little dated now; the rounded forms of the 1990s are near the bottom of the trough on the classic car sine curve but they will bounce back just like the G cars. Even the mid wing might be popular again! On this it's my humble opinion that if the car hasn't got this, it ain't an S4 any more, so intrinsic is it to the model.

There was even a thread on Pistonheads recently "Is the 1990s Esprit dated". To save you trawling it all the consensus appeared to be yeah, but who cares? That's a much better starting point for classic status than say, the 70s cars, who often ended up as chicken sheds. And yet the S4 numbers seem to have been devastated for some reason. So it's time for afficionados and owners to unite. Please post up some pics of your cars, nice ones you have seen or any kind words, maybe even for the spoiler.

7330909762_36e8e2ea8b_b.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

11529126265_b0f1013f80_b.jpg We'll kick off with what could be the rarest colour of all, Palacio Purple. Snapped in Waitrose car park, not the best backdrop but shows the useability if nothing else!

5437306432_d60f3756e5_b.jpg

14276252732_5a30977103_b.jpg

I didnt read all of that but s4 go..when I was young I dreamed of owning an se...then the s4 came out. I saw it in yellow and there was a police special edition. I was sold. Now I own my dream model.

Oh. ANd I will say this...s4s boys great. I think the s4 will rise. Ots the unloved versIon..

Oh and the . spoiler is the best..

Ahhh a Calypso red S4, my favourite

kman_my_Esprit.jpg

gallery_16965_382_39791.jpg

Btw... I started that thread on PH before buying my Esprit last year!

Edited by markw996

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

Mine. 

13072008856.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I wanted the S4 in white since I was in high school and now I am fortunate enough to have one. I've had it now for almost 12 years and you cannot tell most people it is a car from the 90's they have no idea...most think its new.

The car is unreal to drive, it handles like nothing else and I am happy to be in the small club of S4 owners. Plus that wing is the best of the bunch!

Jason

post-251-0-10596200-1404000441.jpg

You managed to get the dirtiest shot of my S4 :censored: . May I add that it did have a nice thick layer of wax under that filth. But yes - my S4 is used at least 2 -3 times a week. It travels around 5k a year and is a very useable car. Compared to the G car NA I owned (which I also loved) it is far more useable as an everyday - shopping car. The power steering makes light work of parking too. I actually love the S4 wing - always have.

The reason people aren't talking about the S4 is because they're too busy driving them. Seriously, they are HARD to come by... don't seem to be up for sale that often.

A friend of mine has stated that the S4 is the Golf GTI of the Esprit range - you can just thrash it and whip it and it'll take the punishment. Seriously sturdy piece of kit.

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

LotusS4079.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

They certainly do.

Mark - if it was you who started that thread then you obviously overcame those doubts!

DanR - That ferry shot is very Bond-ish, though the attack angle to avoid grounding on ferry ramps is a bit of a pain!

Paul H - Sorry for the dirty pic, you can counteract this by posting more of your purple one than the same old three we keep seeing! ;)

Jimi - I like your S4 but have to admit the gunmetal GT3 you have now is a special car.

Out of interest here are a couple of shots from the styling dept of the pre-production mockup S4. These appeared on Ebay and still kick myself for not buying the originals. They show the exterior complete with fibreglass mockup wheeltrims, and the interior much more plush than the production version.

I thought this was Alcantara, but managed to speak to Dave Brisbourne, ex-Lotus stylist who confirmed - "they were actually nubuck leather not Alcantara which at the time although beautifully soft and supple would not have passed muster with customers as the wear rate was too high and they were difficult if not impossible to keep clean. Also Julian Thompson – Design Chief was keen on the soft ruche’d style I wanted something more crafted and less like a sofa"

14506623826_45ce509bd6_b.jpg

14528271844_79c8b009d1_b.jpg

Not a fan of the mock up interior. Looks flimsy and a nod back to the 70s Esprit. Agree with the sentiment that it would not wear well. Its looks stretched and worn already :)

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg