Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom dash project. - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom dash project.

Some more pics of progress which is a little light since I cannot take the protective film from the polish S/S until all the panel cut outs are complete and panel bent to shape but...

Panel after switch labelling engraved into the metal.

post-16070-0-21048000-1422642445.jpg

Assembled with the silicone backing attached to give a black edge once mounted into the dash.

post-16070-0-46389900-1422642551.jpg

This is a view of the cross section of the chrome beading that will edge the stainless dash panel.

post-16070-0-68526900-1422642461.jpg

Assembled again... the label for the hatch switch needs to be done another way since the engraving would crack the plastic cover - alternatively I may be able to source a metal alternative which coudl be engraved

post-16070-0-61987700-1422642488.jpg

I will now need a duplicate of this panel which will be slightly bigger to house the clock and x3 remaining switches. I also have any old radio which will be vintage'ised with new knobs!

anyone got an old clock or heater vents.

I would probably decribed it as e-type ish... rather than racing style. the centre consol of the dash will be in bright red leather with the side, around the instruments and the glove box in burgundy since I have this left over from a previous retrim ( :secret: makes mental note - check that the rats haven't got into the shed!). I thought I would follow this up with an aluminium or S/S gear lever gate and am looking for new electric mirror joy sticks to match but I'll get the whole dash panel done to see how it looks since there is a coach trimmers near me.

This is charlie crokers old dash board so no harm done yet.

I used switchcraft toggles on my dash as they are super well built, come in many varieties, and are completely silent by design.  You see them on guitars a lot.

http://www.theartoftone.com/switchcraft-short-straight-3-way-toggle-switch-cream-tip-epiphone/

They are low current so they must be used with relays but really have a classy look and feel.

FYI.

• Gold FFM

Hidden ejector seat button?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Nice work but if you ask me you have to get a different clock. That one just doesn't look right with the other switchgear styling.

Buddsy

I was thinking this an have been looking on eBay for one. Digital ones are so wrong and an earlier one would push me for space since they tend to be bigger. What i was really after which would look great is a small flip clock but these just don't exist unless I hack this about...

http://www.bitrebels.com/technology/worlds-most-intricate-watch-is-pure-future-steampunk/

I was thinking about chrome vinyl around the outside or some other way to detail up the standard unit a bit

Hidden ejector seat button?

This will be for the rear hatch solonoid! I'm currently searching for labeling options for this

Yes I think an old chrome one would be great. This might be ok but maybe a bit too bling!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Smiths-car-dashboard-illuminated-clock-12v-with-bracket-/371247527746?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item567013b742

Failing that you could go something more rally based?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demon-Tweeks-12v-LED-Motorsport-Digital-Clock-Stopwatch-For-Rally-Racing-/310918212436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item48642b6b54

If the other one fits maybe even chrome paint around the bezel could help?

Buddsy :thumbsup:

The smiths one would look good. I would have to get the bezel rechromed but at £3.20 it can't be too much of a gamble on size! Thanks for that

I have just seen another on eBay that might look better with the circular polished as which is a bit more expensive. I will have to check dimensions at the weekend but I guess the great thing about this look is that I can just knock up another panel!

• Gold FFM

This will be for the rear hatch solonoid! I'm currently searching for labeling options for this

Don't tell us though or it won't be hidden. :detective:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I thought I would knock out another switch panel with the orginal clock since I can always make up another whilst i source a more retro clock. This will go for engraving this week. I've also go the heater vents out for fitting into the s/s next week and whilst i'm waiting.

post-16070-0-30129700-1423420710.jpg

I also have x8 micro LED's and a sheet of frosted perspex to create a window in the over hang to front light the dash from above. I will need to cut the donor centre consol and fashion a recessed box out of glass fibre to angle the LEDs towards the dash. this will also be done next weekend.post-16070-0-75479100-1423420727.jpg

slow progress buts that life sometimes!

• 3 weeks later...

Got my second panel back from the engravers yesterday... :smoke:

post-16070-0-09069500-1425143236.jpg

Still wondering about the clock! Most older chrome ones I have found on ebay are much bigger by 10mm or so which pushes me for space since the heater controls are in a fixed postion as they are levers and not cables like more modern set ups. This of course means that the backing panel willl need to be cut pretty accurately for the heater lever positions so there are some advantages to changing the heater.

I don't really want to go there at the moment so I have put this decision of for a bit - nothing like procrastination. If I delay it long enough I will have my gearbox back and my attention will turn back to the car as the weather is getting warmer! :whistle:

In the mean time I have started cutting around the donor dash in order the make a panel in the overhang for the downlights.

post-16070-0-41268600-1425143123.jpg

a mock up in card of the fibreglass panel that will be made up will result in this kind of shape

post-16070-0-07698000-1425143144.jpg

This may end up looking a little clumsey (hence the donor dash) but gives me the angle for the downlights to shine onto the switches and the front will be big enough to take the chrome "ELITE" letters from the bonnet to replicate the emblem on the inside... this might end up embroidered instead.

Any tips on how to glass fibre this mock up - should I just layer it over the carboard and leave the cardboard in situ if I can't get it off?

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so to update this... rewiring my car has led me to start thinking about connections to the dash which of course will be multiconnectors to my switch panels shown above but i need to sort the locations out and figure out if I hold the switch panels in on slides so the wiring access is easy or if I use captive nuts of some description... this has led me to teach myself autocad and get my ideas firmed up. in CAD my dash looks something like this...

1893083644_newdash.jpg.9465b1aa8d2b7faf13ecb333d84e6f7e.jpg

I brought an age appropriate radio with brushed aluminium knobs and stuff to continue the theme and if I find a circular 50mm clock with a chrome polished bezel I will change the second panel from the top also. This is the top half of the panel before the 150degree bend where the radio would usually fit. beneath the radio is the centrally located cigar lighter (thats what got me into this in the first place after all) and two eyeball vents (shown as blank panels at the moment) ala aircraft fitment

AveoAirPiper_01.jpg.abc0dbf44a84127658e5671e3fa0c545.jpg

with my new found autocad knowledge (a little can be dangerous). I have decided the relocate the heater controls to the spot where the radio would locate. my inspiration for this is the facel vega HK500 interior...

facel_hk_ii_8.jpg.655ab2c6a0b006baffcec0747f3b7b72.jpg

I have a cardboard mock up and just need to work out the geometries to give me 10mm of cable travel from the levers which will be mounted in a 50mm aluminium tube sectioned through the middle and of course draw it up before i can locate the holes in the back panel and get this laser cut. oh and i need to add a aluminium shift gate and new coin holders for the front and back...

• Like 1

A mock up of where my father put the face vents in the early 80's Eclat

The space saved was used to fit an onboard computer, sadly I have no pictures at hand. But the modification was simple.

N

3.jpg.d1868c517b1ef691f6841393ebbf79f6.jpg

• 7 months later...

Slow progress. This and the rewiring is now the two major blocks to finishing my car. I could not find the aircraft vents for less than 150 USD so have switched to mx5 eyeball vents in Chrome. A new job, long commute, and family stuff has slowed things to a crawl

Goodluck with getting back on track, likewise I find the work thing gets in the way of the interesting things.

Reading through the thread again you mentioned looking out for electric mirror joysticks, have you looked at rolls Royce / Bentley ones? there are usually chrome ones on fleabay which appear to work in the same way as the lotus ones.

Thats a great idea. The interior I brought came from a car without electric mirrors and so I would need to cut these to get the original switch in, which is not in the best of conditions. These rolls Royce mirror controls are nice.