Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear Xmas Special 2014 (Esprit in Patagonia) - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear Xmas Special 2014 (Esprit in Patagonia)

I can see this being the biggest ratings show of the year. The BBC are on a winner here. I can also see Bibs in the opening cut scenes - in a dark room tied to a chair - uncouth and screaming "I'll never tell" !!!

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I can't see them airing it Simon. Weren't they only a small way through filming? They won't have enough material surely?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

With respect to the esprit, what sort of engine is a 2.0-3.5L V8?

Did they set up idle cylinder shutdown on it? Clever.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Preparation to a car which no one wanted and is about to undertake an arduous journey. Seems reasonable. 

I actually mailed Murray Lotus maybe 2-3 times about the car wanting to view it and buy it since it only had 19000 miles or so and was a spec I liked - never got a reply. And now its trashed.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Jeez, was it really that low mileage?

That's criminal.

Surely a beater would have done the job?

:no

Jeez, was it really that low mileage?

That's criminal.

Surely a beater would have done the job?

:no

If it IS the Murray Lotus car - it was listed with 18 or 19,000 miles, and claimed to be an old press car, one of the earliest V8s based on the S4s spec (with the less fussy S4s front valence and all)

This is all conjecture on my part - Bibs probably knows exactly what it is.

You'd think they'd have found something a little more beaten up yeah - although maybe they wanted something with a history that was semi-reliable or predictable with respect to maintenance requirements.

I'm guessing we'll have the full story soon. It'll be awesome if we could get a breakdown after the episode is released of how the car was chosen, what was done to it etc etc - maybe like a feature article on TLF?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

If it IS the Murray Lotus car - it was listed with 18 or 19,000 miles, and claimed to be an old press car, one of the earliest V8s based on the S4s spec (with the less fussy S4s front valence and all)

The bloke who prepped the car told my Husband that it had been a museum piece for the last 10 years. We didn't ask where...

I guess I should comment on this as an owner of Esprit's and an A610.

Fundamentally, the 2 'destructions' of these rare vehicles are slightly different. I don't believe the Esprit was destined to be destroyed by Top Gear in the same way as the A610 was. It was an unfortunate (if not entirely innocent) series of events that seem to have led to the ending of the V8's life.

The A610 destroyed by Clarkson was a show winning example of a car that is rarer than an F40 or Countach. Just 67 RHD A610's were made out of a total of 818 examples. Compare that to the total production of Esprit's (in itself a very rare car) which was just under 11,000 units. The car itself was owned by a chap who genuinely loved the car, kept it in a heated and carpeted garage and had covered just 54,000 miles. Unfortunately, his business went bust and his car was sold to a production company for a 'feature'. I am sure the guy was genuinely gutted when he learnt the fate of his car. Speaking with Clarkson, the Alpine Owners club did learn that he had no idea how rare the car actually was and he apologised for the destruction but said it was simply because it was the cheapest supercar they could find at the time and it was purely for entertainment. This is a car Clarkson put in his top 100 cars of all time just a few years before. The issues with the car (with the steering lock) were brought about by the fitting of the remote control equipment for the crash rather than an inherent fault with the car.

From my own point of view, I own and have driven more Esprit's than most on here and indeed use one as my daily driver. They are fabulous cars and I love them to bits. But I must also say that the A610 was a dream car for me like an Esprit was many people's dream car. It is a truly fabulous driving machine and I think the criticism I have seen of this car is generally from people who haven't driven or owned one. There are so many similarities between Alpine and Lotus, and indeed the A610 and an Esprit that anyone who does criticise Alpine cars probably doesn't really get the 'Lotus Thing' either. I also know of quite a number of people who are very well known in Lotus circles who have Alpines as well.

With regards to why these cars aren't bought up by enthusiasts...well most enthusiasts already have one and in the case of Alpine enthusiasts, there aren't really that many. Generally, if you are British you will be more enthusiastic about a British sportscar than a French one. It would be great if we could all buy every example that cropped of our chosen cars but in reality, we usually have to settle for one!

• Like 1

Thank you. Finally someone who will stand up for saving a fine a and rare sportscar, instead of the opposite. No more stupid destructions out of one or the other reason, thanks. I guess I will not have to use any more irony, Hopefully.

Poor Esprit and Alpine.

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Like anyone who heard Clarkson and Argentina in the same sentence couldn't see a train wreck coming. Still, sad ending unless it was all staged and a big publicity stunt

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

What really happened; Andy Wilman - clicky

There are other witnesses to this fact. In fact, one of them – a mechanic we were using for the first time – has written to the Telegraph Letters page stating he saw Jeremy’s reaction and that it could have been nothing but genuine. (Weirdly, although he’s chased them, the Telegraph has so far not bothered to print his letter.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have heard that the Esprit is very highly praised. Anyone who's just bought a V8 has impeccable timing.