Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear Xmas Special 2014 (Esprit in Patagonia) - Page 5 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear Xmas Special 2014 (Esprit in Patagonia)

Writing in The Sunday Times today, Clarkson says: “You get the sense that there’s a never ending supply of — let’s call them youths — coming out of the darkness, hurling anything they can lay their hands on.”

The BBC is showing Top Gear’s Patagonia special in two parts, culminating in video footage of the assault, which forced Clarkson, co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May, and a crew of 29 people to flee the country.

Andy Wilman, the show’s executive producer, said that at one point a lorry was driven across the road to block the crew: “The terror was from knowing that they [the attackers] were all organising themselves rather than being like revellers on the high street on a Saturday night having a bit of fun. That was the terror that made you think: ‘What’s coming round the corner?’ That’s when we decided to go across country, go across the river into Chile.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02fc18c

:o

Cheers,

John W

ha ha, really amusing. The Lotus surely will go up in Price after this show, a few quid, now that every single twat in an off-roader will want the new sports utility all terrain vehicle - the Lotus Esprit twin turbo V8! Heck, maybe even the government want to talk over Lotus to make some more of them and have them ready to invade Russia's Tundra. They could just paint them... British racing green ;)

But the worst is yet to come, so prices may roll Down Again, ha ha, I really enjoyed part one, and hope the producers have found a way to make up a propper part two, and not a local war or what ever.

I am actually surprised that the Lotus Esprit have held up on all those press on roads, or should we say jurasic park landscapes ;) I am surprised that the Porsche have had it's fair share of problems. But, of course, I am not surprised that the American car is utterly crap, looking good in a dealers exhibition, but cannot drive, is slow, uses twice as much petrol, and is constantly breaking Down, with lots of parts simply Falling off the tractor  car. Fortunately, most parts are not needed for driving, so it may acctually be the last of all three to still drive in the end ?

So far, a really good testimony to Lotus! Dare I say, much to their own surprise?

Hmm....  Maybe I should not be lowering mine in rideheight  after all... And maybe I should postpone that lower Sport300 front spoiler?

I think as a natural consequence after seeing this programme, TLF could maybe  have a camo version of it's cover too, to suit all of our hunting needs (from within the Esprit, naturally.

So, what's the conclusion so far?

A Lotus Esprit can be used to:

- pick up girls,

- drive fast,

- be a movie star,

- drive off-road,

- conques new territory,

- way faster than Porsche or ford,

- great for helping out other sportscar drivers stuck in traffic,

- show some other well fames car manufactures with their nose high up in the sky, something about light weight, performance and reliability.

Of course, this may all change on a dime ;)

My respect in part one, goes to Captain slow, for being the fastest, the best driver, knowing how to Cook a cow, helping the other two when they were stuck, being the first on the broken bridges etc. That should make up for some of all the times the others have mocked him in the other shows ;)

Looking forward to seeing part two!

Merry Christmas,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I still found it painfull to watch in many different ways but, when it wasn't being abused, I thought the Esprit looked fantastic and yes I enjoyed seing it outperform and outlast a Porsche and a Mustang!

Of course one would not misuse or mistreat ones Esprit to such endavours.

Never the less, it help up better than the others, so far.

I would have used a hilux or a frontera for this trip. But it wouldn't have been the same of(f) course.

Merry Christmas,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Maybe this will make them easier to sell!

Been trying to sell mine for sometime, 17000 miles from new, all I get is has this been rebuilt, has that been rebuilt, has it had this, has it had that. It's done 17000 I wouldn't have bought it if it had needed rebuilding with such a low mileage. Maybe this will show them in a new light! Although I must say watching last night has given me more admiration for the model, in fact I have always found top gear very complimentary to the Esprit even holding its own on the track.

Maybe I'll keep it.....

Edited by Roger Moore

Part 2 just dispatched. The Esprit suffered zero mechanical maladies - well none that were aired. It sustained minor damage by driving it onto unsuitable terrain, but was the only vehicle of those three which was fully functioning - right up until a bunch of brain dead extremists decided to trash it. 

Great show and shame about the ending.  My only gripe is after Clarkson said "the Lotus Esprit was the most unreliable car in the world," and then it proving reliable, he didn't give the car the recognition it deserved.

Lets hope the Esprit gets a bit more respect now.

Just finished watching part 2 of the Top Gear Christmas special with a Lotus Esprit V8, Porsche and Mustang being driven by the usual crew through some usual, and some more startling escapades.

I noticed that the Lotus number plate is the same as my V8's with one digit different! I also noticed that they changed the wheels from the original Oz racing (standard on a '96 V8) to the more modern slab sided ones in part two. They must've damaged them in some of the silliness that went on.

I was proud that the Lotus was the only car not to break down, very saddened at their treatment of it, and devestated that it was left in Argentina....Don't they know how rare 1996 V8 Esprit bits are?

Anyways, I'm sure the Lotus was the least of their problems!

Current menagerie;
Kawasaki Z1000SX 2017 (Thinking man's sports tourer)

BMW X3 35D M Sport 2015 (Thinking man's chelsea tractor)

Toyota Hilux Invincible 2007 (Thinking man's mud plugger)

Lotus Esprit V8 1996 (Thinking man's thinking destroyer)

The wheels they changed to were Oz Route's from an early 4 cylinder SE.

Not wanting to sound like a total nerd, but those Oz Routes were off an earlier X180 / Turbo.  The SE's had deeper dish rear alloys.

I had them on my car and they looked total pants.

If Jeremy Clarkson won't say it I will!

Lotus Esprit V8, the toughest, most reliable car...................in the world!!

Edited by Roger Moore

Are Mustangs that bad to drive compared to other cars from the period?

Old Mustangs have vague steering and handle like a wheel barrow. But most American cars from the early 70s are bad to drive. And there are a lot of 70s European cars that are bad to drive too. I used to own a 1972 Avenger and that was absolutely terrible.