Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Look what Q has brought for us. Isn't it nice ? - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Look what Q has brought for us. Isn't it nice ?

Hi Fabian, there are three small M3 bolts spot welded onto the underside of the door top finisher that should gently bolt down with washers and nylock nuts to the underside top of the door shell. Three parts in total, the finisher, the rubber seal and the back plate which rivets to the finisher and sandwiches the seal in place. Whole assembly then fits on top of the door shell.

Thanks Jon, had a look at it. Door seems to have slots where the 3 screw threads fit. It's not very wide on the door. Maybe they're all like that?

Yes they are.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 1 month later...

A little update on the car after driving 500 miles or so. Everything is behaving itself nicely, but on one of my 'pre-flight' checks I discovered one of the banjo bolts holding the fuel lines to the carbs had become loose and was weeping fuel. Nothing serious but if left to develop would likely have ended up dripping onto the area underneath and we all know what happens when sparks meet fuel vapour..

So, I tightened the banjo and looked at options for a plumbed-in fire extinguisher.  

Lifeline systems do a 'dumpy' 2.25L canister that mounts very nicely underneath the nearside rear quarter window

post-3309-0-36723000-1435604152.jpg

Which is completely covered by the small carpet board 

post-3309-0-19309600-1435604161.jpg

Two nozzles come with the kit, one points underneath both carbs at the distributor/oil pump/starter motor area and one points over the top of both carbs.  

Activation is via a pull-handle mounted in the drivers side ("pull on departing the vehicle") door shut.

post-3309-0-71724600-1435604156.jpg

Hopefully I'll never have to use it !

• Like 1

The extinguishing tube is a rigid but easily flexible aluminium and you can route it in the engine bay quite simply and tye-wrap it in place.

• Like 1

Glad to see someone else fitting a remote release extinguisher, and that looks like a great mounting point, and a very ingeneous release location. I might move mine to there.

I've installed the slimer 2.25ltr extinguisher, which fits under the rear side cover - not sure if you have this cover on the earlier cars.

IMGP2384_zpsd8707815.jpg

• Like 1

Have you ever seen an engine bay after one of these puppies goes off? Makes a huge mess. Takes weeks to clean. Etched aluminium etc. Obviously well worth it though.

Just make sure there is never a misfire. I love the larger bottle option. I found the small one runs out very quickly.

The "slimline" model I have is huge, about 18" long, and more than double the size of the halon one it replaced. Does foam cause the same mess as a CO2 extinguisher?

Does foam cause the same mess as a CO2 extinguisher?

Don't know for sure. The company claim that its non-toxic and harmless and designed specifically for motorsport use. 

I'm hearing you.

You would be surprised though. The dry chemical one would require engine removal, engine bay respray, re polish any aluminium components, carb clean, redo rubber pipes. It's corrosive stuff. Key is to get it off asap.

Hi Jon, how is your bonnet stay bolted to the bonnet? Do you have rivnuts or a metal plate?Also how is your spare wheel held in position, the bolt hoke appears to bevin thevwrong place? Cheers.

Hi Fabian, sorry for the slow reply to your PM.  My bonnet stay is secured by two M5 (or more likely the imperial alternative) screws that go into two rivnuts in the bonnet. Pic below :

post-3309-0-39154500-1436393853.jpg

The bolt that secures the spare wheel goes through one of the wheel bolt holes in the wheel and into a nut welded onto a plate that is riveted to the front compartment floor from below.  It doesn't go through the wheel centre if that was what you were thinking ?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a 90 degree angle trim piece made of thin steel the same length as the centre instrument panel that presses in between the top of the panel/mask and the top of the binnacle. There are no pictures or details in the service manual that I could find and my guess is that its there to tighten up the whole binnacle to reduce rattles ! It's painted black.

Do you need a picture to fabricate one or do you have it already ?