Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Has It Come To This? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Has It Come To This?

rizla603104

Hi guys. I am having to think about selling the purple nasty. I moved into a new office last year - with its own parking space. I'm driving it less and less. I rarely take it to work as the parking space is so awkward and narrow. Because I only work 1.5 miles away by the time I demist the Esprit I can walk to work. Finally, whilst the driving position is the best I have ever been in - My achilles tendon in my left leg is playing up so much now (through an accident some years ago) I've been having some physio - and am hoping it will help. I'm gutted to even have to consider it - as I love the car and have spent a lot of time and money on it getting it they way I want it. Any help or advice - much appreciated. If I do decide to sell - I don't even know how much it would be worth now. Feeling pretty miserable.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wait for the better weather then rethink. It's the January blues biting.

With you on the tendonitis bit, though there are workarounds for that too, I'll PM when there's more time

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Don't do it!

An Esprit makes a great weekend car at the very least, you don't need to drive it every day and in fact when it's used less, each journey is that little bit more special :)

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Here's another take:

I own 2 Esprits which I also hardly ever get to use. They live in a garage about 25-30 km away from me, and traffic in Stockholm is so bad due to a lack of infrastructural development that driving that short distance after a work day to go and take a ride would take probably a whole hour and result in great frustration upon arrival. As such, I can only really drive on weekends/Fridays if I can get off early.

On top of that the cars are laid up over winter (November-March/April when the salt and gravel is cleared off the roads).

So I have 2 maybe 3 days a week...and then...(and this is self-inflicted) I'm at the mercy of the weather gods. If it's pouring, they're not coming out.

I drive them maybe 1000-1500 km a year at most. Probably less now since I've acquired the V8 (gotta spread the love).

I'd say a lot of Esprit owners especially in Scandinavia are in a similar situation - but I still think most of us feel they're worth holding on to.

Best of luck with the physio, hope it goes your way!

Edit: I'm with Bibs on this one. Every ride feels special when you don't get to drive it all the time. I personally feel like a kid on Christmas morning every time I approach the garage gates.

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I agree with Bibs.  Dont do it!  You'll regret it.  Just got to accept it is for occasional use.  Thats what I do although they do have regular runs to temperature on dry days just to move everything.

• Gold FFM

Have you thought of moving house further from your job - or moving your job further from your house? I reckon a twisty thirty miles after work would put the smile back on your face! 

• Like 2

Some wise words. You're all right. Bad time of year. Fed up with the tendon and its restrictions. I do smile every time I drive it. I have not fallen out of love with her. I have no idea what I would get that would make me smile as much - or attract as much attention!!

It all depends...if you regard it as "a car" and a "form of transport" then Trevor has the answer.

If you have a more complicated relationship.......(!)

I once contemplated selling mine, in a state of penury...ended up spending 3 or 4 years spraying it instead!! For me, selling her now would be like selling your sister into slavery. Couldn't do it......

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

2p...I think you should keep it and get the leg sorted.

Not sure of the extent of the problem, but have you tried studio Pilates?

Here's one in Cambridge: http://www.bodywisestudio.co.uk/Studio-Pilates-with-Janet(970892).htm

Don't know them at all, but my wife's a qualified instructor down here in Bude, and she's wokred wonders on some people who have been told by physios & osteos that certain things couldn't be fixed.

Dave

Fix the leg, keep the car. Tendon and muscle injuries can take forever to heal but they do with enough time. Or maybe you could get a really really stiff boot and just stop the whole thing down instead of pivoting your heal... haha ok thats a bad idea.

You should read a post on here called something like, "I sold and regretted it." Don't do it. Drive it like hell in the summer.

Hi Paul

Re: the tendon, mine is getting better with some rest and self-medicated attention, but I dare say the summer with the Esprit will see to that!

Seriously the best thing I bought was a pair of compression socks; you think it's silly and can't feel any difference straight away, but long term it's the most cost-effective thing bit of gear. They are American and sold on Ebay, Linky Quite expensive for what they are but last ages.

I also used a heel splint, which is  PITA to use, but very useful if you are sitting for long periods, i.e. a passenger in a car/train, or in front of the TV. I wouldn't recommend using it to bed as some suggest, as you can twist your leg whilst asleep and wake up with another injury!

Regarding mods to the car there are a few things I have planned but only got around to one so far due to time/space/money and a flipping cold garage;

1. Steering wheel spacer - gives your legs more room to move under the Esprit's none-adjustable wheel. I wouldn't go more than 20mm though as the indicator stalks go out of a fingers' reach
  2. Clutch pedal block to reduce the furthest travel and keep the "work" done to your knees/legs
  3. Clutch servo - Car Builder Solutions list a nice compact single circuit servo which can go inline on the clutch hose and reduce effort by 50%. I haven't been underneath to see where there is enough space in the engine bay but ideally would like it near the slave cylinder. Also need to determine the best point to take off engine vacuum.
  4. Cruise control - the most expensive mod so probably the last to do, but something that has been on the "wish list" for ages due to the vast stretches of 50mph zones as they upgrade the Motorways around here. Also in case the car goes abroad again on the tightly policed autoroutes
  5. Also need to experiment with a clutch pedal block to keep the rather long movement more in the knee/leg area instead of tippy toes. Hopefully the wheel spacer will help with this

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

If this were me I think I would write the for sale advert then see how you feel, after you have written it if you have a horrible feeling then your not doing the right thing, if however it doesn't bother you then post the advert but put a high price on it, that way if it does go you really won't feel bad at all.

And it won't sell :-)There are very few people who write an advert without the intention of selling, thats just crazy and wasting peoples time should they be interested. I know I would be frustrated if I wanted to buy a car and the fella said he didn't really want to sell it, I'd think he was a bit of a wally.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

I never said put an advert out there and see how it goes, I said write the advert and see how you feel about the reality of actually selling it, if it feels ok then put the advert up on the webs. Also with the price I'm not saying ask a million for it just put it on the higher side so if it does sell its all roses  :harhar:

I've just renewed my Tracker subscription - lifetime membership for £275 rather than £149/year. So I have to keep the car forever and ever darling. So there.With knobs on. :harhar:

• Like 1

Well if you really insist on trying to sell it you could always list it at 1 million on ebay like that company did to draw attention to their fake model from the bond film. If it sells you could easily buy a few more and it not well, we can all laugh at the listing.

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice  :smoke:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg