Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project Compomotive - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Project Compomotive

The Pits

No they come with a tube of basically superglue, they don't come with any adhesive on them. I guess it would be best to store them somewhere dark as strong sunlight isn't great for rubber. There's definitely no best before date!

I like the way you're thinking ahead!

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Hi guys, also interested but would need to buy a new set of tires as Ive already bought a set of different artwork from Tredware for my existing Pirellii 600's tires I have still to fit.

How much is a new set of tires and whats the best brand to go for please?

P600? Like what I already have on their.

P.S - Obviously be careful of the insane daylight robbery UK import tax from buying goods from the US.

Hi Jonny

Thanks for organising this. Just to confirm I would like a set of 5 with the larger letters please. Really looking forward to this!!

Robin.

So, just to finalise numbers it's 5 sets of large letters for everyone (one set per wheel plus one spare set)

Skiing

Stuart monument

Silverfrost

Tar

Robington

Richard JGC

BP81

that's 7 orders - 35 sets in total. Let's hope we don't get knobbled by the customs.

Otherwise if everyone could pay by Paypal or cash if you prefer and are going to the TLF event on May 8th.

I'll let you know what the final cost is once I've placed the order but obviously the cheapest way to do it by sharing the shipping.

Noted you want a small set Dan, there's always one...;) 

I can do account details if anyone prefers. Surprisingly the cost has gone up (given the size of the order) for 5 sets each, the previous estimate was based on 4 sets per car.

I'm going to round it up to £60 each including shipping. This may increase if we get hit by a customs charge but it shouldn't come to much between us all, another advantage of doing a group buy.

I think this is a good deal when you consider that I paid $175 (£120) for four sets of letters last year. So at £60 shipped for 5 sets, that's comfortably less than half price.

If anyone wants to go it alone or pull out, please say so now. Much as I like them I don't want to be stuck with 35 sets of rubber Goodyear letters.

I'll put the order in tomorrow unless I hear from anyone to the contrary. Anyone wishing to pay direct to my account can pm me.

It'll be good to see 7 more Esprits with 'Goodyear' in white on the tyres. You will not be disappointed!

Cheers!

Should have asked, Dan do you want your extra set of letters to be large or small? If I were you I'd get two spare sets in case you lose a front letter. It should be less than a £10 extra but I'll ask.

• Like 1

Sorry, only just seen your reply Dan. I've already placed the order but will ask for 2 more sets of small letters. I'll keep the sets of large letters that you don't want.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good chapter in the tale recently but I suddenly and dramatically lost tyre pressure on the way to the TLF event last weekend. Fortunately no harm done to the car. We checked the tyre repeatedly but one look inside the right rear wheel revealed the culprit. 6 split rim bolts had sheared. I do tend to run the tyres at higher than recommended pressures but really the blame lies with the guy who refurbished the wheels in the first place. He re-used all the original bolts and clearly fatigue has set into them, not too surprising as most are over 30 years old. I'm in the process of finding someone capable of doing the job properly this time and will insist new bolts are fitted all-round.

I'm aware that this just wouldn't have happened on the BBS wheels and it is a test of faith in these beautiful old wheels but I will stay the course! Once I've got them rebuilt and resealed properly I'm hopeful that this episode will be firmly behind me. One thing seems clear to me now though and that this was inevitable. I had one leaky front left wheel that was rebuilt by Roy at Paul Matty. He did a great job (and used all new bolts all the way round) but because the other wheels held their pressure I didn't think to get them rebuilt while I was at it. Lesson learned. If it can happen to one, it can happen to the other three! The car is now up on axle stands and wheels have been removed for rebuilding. Unless anyone has any other recommendations they will be going to Pristine Wheels in Milton Keynes on Monday.

IMG_4126.jpgIMG_4128.jpg

• Like 1

You can see why you need a spare set of letters! To be fair they held on remarkably well to begin with.

flatred.jpg

• 2 months later...

Good work! They really set the car off. Looking forward to getting mine done when my Compomotives have been refurbished.

Just bought some P600's for the rears. Not sure what to go for at the front.

Richard

@robington - looks good.

I've got a Sportrac 3 rear going spare if you want it. Got a puncture and had to replace both with Sportrac 5s.

I am all tyred up thanks Chris. In fact I have a perfect set of Pirellis I need to put on the classifieds.

The car looks stunning Rob, thanks for sharing those pics. Magnifique!

• 1 month later...

By the way don't EVER go to Pristine Wheels in Milton Keynes. Having missed 3 events in my car due to waiting for them to rebuild the wheels I made it very clear that missing the Brands festival was not an option. I picked up the wheels last Friday only to discover two leaking badly plus 26 finger loose wheel bolts. All of the bolts were massively over tightened. They were all brand new bolts too and all 80 are ruined.

I'm only glad that I didn't try and drive the car like that. Disgracefully negligent and downright dangerous.

I'll be taking them back to the only guy I know who's ever successfully managed to seal a Compomotive wheel - Roy at Paul Matty's.