Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 39 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

Must say, I see the say quality on my XK in terms of suspension bit and pieces; is this a British thing?  The Jag looks much nicer underneath than any of its German counterparts.

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

• Gold FFM

More positive reviews from the Dutch newspaper  De Telegraph and German authority Auto Motor und Sport (these guys appear to have enjoyed "enhanced" treatment)

Lotus-Evora-400-Fahrbericht-fotoshowBigI

Utterly gorgeous in black... I see nothing junior here, it's all grown up IMO. And is it me or there is an option for a side reflector delete? 

So when shall we expect the new S version?

Google page translation is a truly wonderful thing.  It's not perfect, but when your Dutch vocabulary is limited to "Drempel" (speed bump), and my German is largely unprintable then it does a mighty fine job.  

More importantly - it gives us a "continental review" with a different perspective, even if it's broadly similar in tone.

Interestingly, the German article makes no reference to it's indigenous competitors (although the comments below are predictable) - and doesn't really seem to give a "verdict"?

The good thing of the Evora 400 is the 400 Hp engine but the bad thing is the exaggerated design. The original design of the Evora is totally in balance outside and inside. The Evora 400 has a bad mix of the original design of Steven Crijns and someone who added his own design and form language. The front doesn't suit at all and so the rear side. The interior also is a bad mix of old and new. Why did Lotus not started with the fine design of the Evora GTE. The only reason that new buyers might buy this Evora 400 is its powerful engine, existing Evora owners won't change there beloved car for this weird Evora 400. Let's wait what happens the coming months.

post-13357-0-07373800-1437770238.jpg

post-13357-0-42816100-1437770254.jpg

post-13357-0-47720000-1437770272.jpg

post-13357-0-84376900-1437770294.jpg

• Gold FFM

German quality????? Utter bollox - it's a perception nothing more.

I have a set of schuco solar panels on the roof..... Marketed as the best available in all areas at the time. One has now caught fire - warranty I hear folks say.....

Yes they are 4 years old, schuco no longer make pv panels - and no-one at head office wishes to honour any warranty at all - even though they should have a 5 year with a 25 year output warranty.....

The Germans - great at spin and bullshit marketing, brilliant at dicking over the Greeks, and super at slight of hand........

Yes they are good at some stuff, but so are us Brits.

They've made millions of the glorified beetles over a long period of time - all much the same. With that much practice they really should be completely perfect....

That Evora looks a stunning piece of British engineering art work.......end of....... We should all revel in just how much the company is growing and improving

Only here once

If lotus dipped in to the parts use by Lexus (some same as toyota, some not) maybe that would help a touch. What the evora offers over the Porsche for me is styling and more of an experience. It looks special inside and out with the full suede interior. The Porsche is so bland inside.

Stu

• Like 1

Guest hosscartwri

Jonny "The Pits"

Absolutely agree with you re quality as I have banged on about on a couple of threads on these forums.

I am amazed at how capable and communicative my car is and I love it for these characteristics but rattles

and clonks from new, wheels out of balance from new are things that just should not happen in this

day and age. My dealer is excellent and is resolving these issues but less besotted owners and particularly non Brits without an in-built bias to the marque would be less tolerant.

If the comments on this thread indicating that the USA is a key market for the Evora 400 are accurate (and

it makes perfect sense that they are) then it is crucial that Lotus ups its game on quality control.

As a generalisation, consumers in this market are some of the most critical, intolerant and vocal in the

world - clearly then, any issues with quality will quickly find their way round the world via the

internet with the obvious implications for sales elsewhere in the world.

@hosscartwri if your comment below is correct then why do Americans put up with American cars and is this why then do they struggle to sell them outside of the US? Yes, ford, gm and even Chevvy sell cars over here in Europe but the ones that sell tend to be designed and built here and generally look, feel and ride so much better than the "home" market cars.

"As a generalisation, consumers in this market are some of the most critical, intolerant and vocal in the

world - clearly then, any issues with quality will quickly find their way round the world via the

internet with the obvious implications for sales elsewhere in the world."

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Nice article Bibs, one question though, one of nice things about the current car is that it has excellent handling without a harsh ride.

Have they managed to retain that? Your article infers they have, but equally refers to a stiffer setup. Presumably some compromise has had to made some where.

How would you compare the two?

I have just had Ethel over for a tour through Northern France, and apart from the cobbled streets of the Fortress in Bolougne, she ate up pretty much anything that could be thrown at her.

Guest hosscartwri

C8RKH

Interesting but I suspect you know the answer!

Almost by definition, buyers of performance cars are more concerned than the average Joe with the

elements which combine to produce a fast and capable machine and, again, almost by definition, will be

fussier.

As to why Americans put up with "American" cars - simples - their towns and cities are laid out on grid

system and their freeways/interstate highways are basically straight so the demand for cars which corner

properly is not stimulated by the need for cars to corner without wallowing around.

As to the quality of US cars, my experience over many years of riding in them when over there on business

is that they are generally screwed together pretty well irrespective of their lack of ability to go in any

direction other than a straight line. They are also quite comfortable in the way of a favourite armchair but would, I suspect, be somewhat nausea inducing on UK type roads.

Tris - Did you read this bit?

On the road, the revised suspension clearly doesn’t disappoint. Steering is as communicative as ever and the harshness of the road surface is dealt with for you, leaving just the sensations of grip, the cars dynamics and ‘some’ of the speed you’re carrying coming through making their way to your senses. You don’t feel every lump and bump knocking you and the car around, they’re translated into subtle responses through the steering wheel and seat to you, allowing you to carry huge amounts of speed, deceptively huge amounts. The car is quick, mighty quick on the A and B roads where we’ll be spending so many weekends and really does carry on the Evora’s tradition of class leading road holding, a real pleasure to push on with.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

It's all about what you can afford to make isn't it? Mercedes cannot afford to make cars as durable as they used to and Porsche need to keep a tight lid on costs to maintain their profit margin. Neither company makes cars as durable as they used to. Neither can afford to for the same reasons that washing machines don't last 20 years any more.

The best built car in terms of 'everything working all the time' would be our family Lexus RX400h. It's a very complex car and fully loaded with a vast array of electronic features. After 5 years of daily ownership, not one single failure of any component. It has even somehow survived my 4 year old son's torture testing and he has a serious gift for destruction. 

The worst would be my father-in-law's Jeep Cherokee. There is quite literally always something wrong with that and it has only done 18k miles since he bought it new in 2007.

But really it isn't a debate. German cars are not as good as their reputation suggests, Lotus are better than theirs, the truth is closer than most people realise. The Evora 400 looks like a step forward in terms of interior quality but it is also a bit less distinctive. Sadly I think buyers will find comfort in something more familiar. A bit more Pop and bit less Jazz! ;) Normally it should be the job of good motoring journalists to try and bring perception closer to reality but no chance of that these days with the way that industry has gone. They are only interested in following the 'market' wherever that leads. The SUV's have taken over without a murmur from anyone.

• Like 1

Guest hosscartwri

C8RKH I should have added that I believe it is some years since imported cars outsold domestically produced cars in America which quite likely tells us something about what the majority of Americans think about their home produced vehicles!

IT's funny really isn't it, and this is an attempt to keep on topic re the new 400, but so much about cars is "subjective" - what is screwed together well and what isn't; what is reliable and what isn't; what is built to a price point and criticised (e.g. Lotus for the interior mainly and some panel gaps) and what is built to a price point and isn't (e.g. Porsche / Audi as the bits you touch feel like better quality plastic than others!). On these "subjective" points I can see how Lotus can score down with the 400 (I will come back to the frankly tacky LOTUS emblem on the dash - so unecessary and how much extra cost really would it have been to cover that plastic in alcantara / leather?), but then I just don't get it when praise is thrown at say Audi (the interior of the A6 may be upmarket in terms of plastic quality, but it is still a massive slab of unattractive plastic) and the TT - which again is smothered in plastic. At least with the original Evora you got real metal fascias, metal controls and buttons etc and a feeling to my mind of real engineering. I know it is all subjective.  In the 400, if those lovely new central console controls for HVAC etc where metal, wow, it would have looked and felt like the interior of a Maclaren - praise indeed!

The only real things in reviews that are not subjective is the way a car drives - the way a car turns in; the confidence you get near the limit; how it stops and how it delivers the power - in all of these points the new Lotus 400 is at least as good, and in many areas, far superior to anything from Germany or even Italy.  Indeed, did I not read that the original Lotus was used as the handling benchmark for the Ferrari 458?  Funny we never hear journo's talking about stuff like this - not even the ones you could and may be should expect to be partriotically biased?  Why is that?

Ferrari and Lamborghini both had similar poor reputations for quality and longevity for their road cars around the same time as Lotus did. Indeed, until the last 5 years or so the 308 and 328 were fairly unloved motors and often criticised for not having electronic ignition, for the carbs  being a pain to setup and for not starting when hot and don't even talk about trying to engage 1st or 2nd gear when the gearbox was cold etc.  Funny how now that their prices are rising, everyone seems to have forgotten what was printed and said before. Maybe, and I live in hope here, this is what will happen with the Esprit's and Evora's in the future as just like the 308 and 328's, the years will be good to the ones that are well maintained and lovingly used, and with the undoubted leap in quality delivered by the 400, it's halo effect will flow down. After all, even previously unloved cars such as the Testarossa, 348, and 456 are now starting to see their prices spring upwards, for good, well cared for examples, of course.

I'm not sure I agree hosscartwri with regards to how well screwed together American cars are - they have a reputation over  here that is poor (Jeep's especially and they are supposed to be bombproof) for build quality; poor for quality of materials and poor for driver enjoyment. It is no accident that Kia, Hyundia, Skoda and other so called budget brands far outsell the American stuff - they are cheaper, sometimes more expensive but just much better as a whole proposition. I suspect Americans got lazy with their cars, both in the specification of them and the building of them.

And as for imported cars  not outselling home made in the US, I am sure the relatively week $ has had something to do with that along with Obama's stimulous $'s too. Not necessarily down to quality either way - but then, I may be wrong.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Tris - Did you read this bit?

Sorry maybe I phased the question badly. How does it compare to the current car's ride

Harder, softer, about the same? Current car's ride is pretty exceptional for the type of car it is. Given the 400 is being painted as a more hard core machine is there a noticeable difference?

Yes use of metal and leather inside the original Evora was a deliberate attempt to lift the car above its mass produced competitors. No-one seemed to really respond well to that, journos only seemed to find fault with it while praising more plasticky cars. TVR tried much the same thing in later years and had a totally anti-plastic policy, everything was either leather or bespoke alloy, years before Pagani took the idea and ran with it. I don't remember them getting much credit for it either. I think the truth is most people find a mass produced feel inside reassuring. 'Hand made in England' is a turn off for most UK buyers. The E400 looks more mass produced inside so hopefully that will work.

Makes me want to pick up a discounted Evora SR though with even better ride and steering. That would be my dream everyday car.

I know it has been said before but can anybody - CEO - tell the Lotus webmasters that need to get in touch with sales and marketing to update infos on the Evora pages, pretty sur we now have official pricing, pretty sure S and SR are no longer available for order from the factory. Pretty sure the 1415kg  evora weight needs to be replaced by 1395kg.

If lotus dipped in to the parts use by Lexus (some same as toyota, some not) maybe that would help a touch. What the evora offers over the Porsche for me is styling and more of an experience. It looks special inside and out with the full suede interior. The Porsche is so bland inside.

Stu

As much as I found the idea logical - being one of those delusionals hoping for Lotus and Lexus getting much closer under the Toyota benevolant guidance and away from clumsy Proton moves  - even though I consider things to be much better now that DRB is in the picture. I do think that most Lexus interiors are a bit bland. They have very squarish chunky buttons, nobs and dials. their interiors feel heavy. Now the new IS, ES and LS appear to have much nicer dashboards and Lotus could or should think about it. Actually they probably have but I'm also sure that Proton would rather have Lotus pick from their parts bins as to lower somewhat their own cost.  

I do think Lotus should focus on their biggest problem: "The loom". They have the know how and the skilled people to create exquisite interiors, it's mostly the quality control system that they need to make ever more demanding and stringent. Better parts bin will come naturally from the moment they produce more cars and rationalise their interior design across the range ; commonalities among Evora, Exige and Elise will mean lower prices when it comes to knobs, dials, buttons purchase... It will also mean lower production cost in the cockpit.