Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora 400 - Page 46 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora 400

Bee

Can we see one without the council estate fairy lights on?

(About 20 years ago NEDS used to drive around lapping city centres and cinema car parks with their fog lights on and music pumping...Init!!!!!!! The police in Bristol used to pull them over and fine them... What's the difference??

Stupid EU lights on cr@p annoys me... This isn't Sweden / German climate and light... that's from a pro European!!

Rant over!

Can you switch them off in the 400?

Once the lights are switched off I recognise the car!!

Lotus updated data on the automatic option and  the slushbox if as quick as the Manual on the 0-60/62 is a massive 12 miles slower with a top speed of only 174mph or 280km/h... Certainly not slow but it Leads me to wonder what they've had to do to make the auto as quick but not as fast ( shorter final gear?!)  

The auto is also marginally worse in city driving fuel mileage but evidently better on highway/road fuel mileage. That shows how much Lotus has had to work on the gearbox but also that this 6 speed is about to reach its limits especially if compared to the newest autoboxes (8 and 9 speeds) and DCTs (6 and 7 speeds)

Edited by NedaSay

Lotus updated data on the automatic option and  the slushbox if as quick as the Manual on the 0-60/62 is a massive 12 miles slower with a top speed of only 174mph or 280km/h... Certainly not slow but it Leads me to wonder what they've had to do to make the auto as quick but not as fast ( shorter final gear?!)  

The auto is also marginally worse in city driving fuel mileage but evidently better on highway/road fuel mileage. That shows how much Lotus has had to work on the gearbox but also that this 6 speed is about to reach its limits especially if compared to the newest autoboxes (8 and 9 speeds) and DCTs (6 and 7 speeds)

Wasn't the auto on the old car limited to 6,400 rpm, rather than 7k? Perhaps that explains the top-speed difference?

Still here a lot of "chat" about DCT gearboxes, did I not read that the VW Group were dropping them for the future due to cost? So likely that only the most expensive cars woukd have them - likely £100k+ so R8, high end 911 etc?

For sure Lotus needs a new gearbox as power goes from 400 or upwards, so there must be a few very good manuals and non DCT's out there? Does it have to be a flappy auto - or how about a race like sequential?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I haven't seen any evidence that VW is dropping the DSG gearboxes. There were some issues with the DQ200 in 2014, but that is quite a long time ago.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Here you go Thomas, I found the quote again - however, looks like I had mis-read slightly as the potential change is to the smaller vehicles in the range - so A1, Polo, Fabia etc. Sorry for any confusion.

" “We are looking at an eight-speed Aisin or nine-speed ZF transmission… but we have not decided on which one as yet.”

The reason behind this shift is not a reaction to the recent power-loss issues that have afflicted certain DSGs over the last few years, Mr Schaefer revealed, adding that Volkswagen has addressed the highly publicised problems.

Instead, the move centres on economies of scale, as there isn’t the global volume to justify the cost development of a new-generation DSG suitable for a B and sub-B vehicle installation.

Plus, the fuel efficiency gap between a dual clutch and torque converter automatic has closed dramatically, with only about 0.2 litres per 100km in it, according to Mr Schaefer. Ten years ago, that figure was upwards of 1.5L/100km, he said.

Furthermore, the senior engineer explained that city car drivers prefer the instantaneous take-off acceleration as well as the reduced noise/vibration/harshness properties provided by the torque converter automatic transmission applications.

This is especially true for North American and Chinese consumers, who seem to have distaste for the DSG’s operational characteristics."

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Here you go Thomas, I found the quote again - however, looks like I had mis-read slightly as the potential change is to the smaller vehicles in the range - so A1, Polo, Fabia etc. Sorry for any confusion.

" “We are looking at an eight-speed Aisin or nine-speed ZF transmission… but we have not decided on which one as yet.”

The reason behind this shift is not a reaction to the recent power-loss issues that have afflicted certain DSGs over the last few years, Mr Schaefer revealed, adding that Volkswagen has addressed the highly publicised problems.

Instead, the move centres on economies of scale, as there isn’t the global volume to justify the cost development of a new-generation DSG suitable for a B and sub-B vehicle installation.

Plus, the fuel efficiency gap between a dual clutch and torque converter automatic has closed dramatically, with only about 0.2 litres per 100km in it, according to Mr Schaefer. Ten years ago, that figure was upwards of 1.5L/100km, he said.

Furthermore, the senior engineer explained that city car drivers prefer the instantaneous take-off acceleration as well as the reduced noise/vibration/harshness properties provided by the torque converter automatic transmission applications.

This is especially true for North American and Chinese consumers, who seem to have distaste for the DSG’s operational characteristics."

Here we go ... Toyota just introduced a long expected engine combo on the 2016 RX350 F- Sport the new 7GR engine (replacement for the transverse 2GR-FE with matching AISIN 8 speed  AW8F45. the combo that I initially thought would be the new "Evora" powertrain. If Lotus could land this powertrain the car will have a leap forward in terms of refinement. I think it's coming as JMG went back to Toyota and informed us all that Toyota will remain the engine partner of choice for the foreseeable future. It should be a great fit.

the powertrain is also AWD capable and would come as a plug and play in both 3 Eleven replacement, the next Exige S and Evora.

Gah! My post above was not supposed to go online that quickly as it was unfinished!

So anyway, I think the new 7GR could make its way into the line up in a significant manner from 2019-2020 onward when Lotus gets its SUV going and  EURO VI is into much higher gear. This engine covers all the right bases for Lotus. Logically the AISIN 8 speed could come come in tow, that gearbox is massively produced (Mini, Volvo, BMW, Toyota already use it.

So If it were to be that way I think the DCT debate would come to an end, Lotus would keep offering manual and would have a top of the line automatic best of both worlds. 

It was worth going to the festival just for that noise. It's amazing how different it sounds from the Evora S (which I thought sounded very nice anyway). Lotus must have done a lot of work on exhaust tuning. It's a big part of owning a sports car and the sound alone should ensure a few sales. No advantage from an engineering point of view but It's impossible not to smile when you hear a 400 rev. And that really is the whole point of owning a fast car.

Can't wait to try one but I can already see that choosing my next Lotus is going to be hard!

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I'm new here!

Current driving a Porsche 997 GT3 and just ordered a Evora 400 in White with Alcantara red interior.

Has anyone noticed that on Lotus official page, the black front lip has been removed from black pack option. Does it mean that the front lip will be in black regardless if black pack is chosen or not? Thanks.

http://www.lotuscars.com/lotus-evora-400

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Hi everyone! I'm new here!

Current driving a Porsche 997 GT3 and just ordered a Evora 400 in White with Alcantara red interior.

Has anyone noticed that on Lotus official page, the black front lip has been removed from black pack option. Does it mean that the front lip will be in black regardless if black pack is chosen or not? Thanks.

http://www.lotuscars.com/lotus-evora-400

Congratulations, and welcome.

Have you been given a provisional delivery date yet?