Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bought an S4S after all these years - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Bought an S4S after all these years

paulob1

ah yes okay..that is true how do I join TLF...

on going stuff.

ordering all the front end stuff for next week, after I have joined TLF to get my 10% discount.

will then have the old girl tracked.  I will at the same time strip the hydraulic clutch  system to soert that out as it is actually hurting my knee it is so damn heavy..  I think this is the problem of the notchy slow gearchange...

not overly happy with the brakes so far, the abs seems a bit hit or miss and sometimes just sometimes she pulls wildly to the left on sudden heavy braking...I have almost cured my personal problem of hitting the brake and accelerator at the same time...oops.  will strip the front brakes and replace any corroded brake lines had to do them on the rear already.

if that is all sorted I will then start on the engine...

I now have a coolant smell coming from the front and a fluctuating temperature guage so i either have a leaking rad, no sign yet, or a poor water pump...coudl the charge cooler pump be affecting this?

yes i joined....will go get my discount now...

ah yes okay..that is true how do I join TLF...

on going stuff.

ordering all the front end stuff for next week, after I have joined TLF to get my 10% discount.

will then have the old girl tracked.  I will at the same time strip the hydraulic clutch  system to soert that out as it is actually hurting my knee it is so damn heavy..  I think this is the problem of the notchy slow gearchange...

I've not had the pleasure of driving an S4s yet, but my SE had a horrendously heavy clutch when I got it. 2 years ago I discovered, when replacing the clutch master cylinder, that some numpty had fitted the pushrod to the wrong hole on the clutch pedal. There are two - one is marked "C" for clutch the other "B" for brake. After fitting the rod correctly it was like driving a different car...

Check that you haven't become victim to the same cock-up. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

The S4s & 300 Sport clutch is way heavier than the SE, that's why the first 300 Sports' had a clutch assistor spring fitted which about halved the force required to floor the pedal. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

The S4s & 300 Sport clutch is way heavier than the SE, that's why the first 300 Sports' had a clutch assistor spring fitted which about halved the force required to floor the pedal. :thumbup:

Cool! Good to know. I've really gotta get around to trying an S4s. I think there's only a single one in all of Sweden though.... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

okay so all bushes ordered new clutch master and slave cylinder and braided hose...wheel bearings will be replaced just because we can and then she will go off for tracking...still need to find this water leak...

currently getting about 22-23 mpg, which doesn't seem too bad.  she is too dodgy to drive fast all the time at the moment. stiff gear change, dodgy brakes and dodgy steering...

I will slowly work my way through...

however are driving a couple of more bizzarre toys today...

take a look here..

https://www.facebook.com/TheColdWarCollection

Kraz and 432 off home for the weekend...

got my log in cable from PUK...no one else had one, it is not much of a cable and does not have the connector end for the car...but will sort that.  i have an old PC that we can use for accessing it.  ideally we could do with a more modern version of the software.  will maybe take a look at it and see if I cant upgrade it to a USB connector...

Met chopper, member  on here this week at the Ash railway crossings.  Nice to say hello...and find someone local...

Anyway PNM will have all my front end bits for me this week, had a bit of a misfire and water leak this week,  expansion bottle cracked so leaked water onto the plugs bingo misfire...and temp changing up and down...ordered a new bottle from SJ...

all should be here next week then get it all fitted, bushes front end,  dump valve new front wheel bearings check the brakes, all good so far, although sometimes when first applied can pull to nearside...must remember to press the pedal four or five times before I drive off.  But will check them anyway.

having the clutch master cylinder cable hose and slave cylinder changed as well to see if I can get an easier clutch...am sure this is the source of the notchiness and slowness of the gear change...

anyway,  once that lot is done I will take her for her tracking check...

then if she feels better I will start on the engine...

first pass is a chip set 6 from PUK...and then will be heading for a bigger turbo and injectors...

no she is still running rough, changed the plugs and she is running really rich at low revs and misfiring...hopefully it isn't too serious...changed the water bottle so parts for the front not hear yet so took her home and running dog rough, perfect on tickover rough as hell after okay on full throttle but nothing much happening in between... 

yes it could be a coil pack but the plugs are oiling sooting up badly so i suspect a fueling problem too....once i can log in maybe the ecu will give me an idea...but its really rough....it could just be the coil pack another thing to change...this car will be brand new by the time i am finished...

no she is still running rough, changed the plugs and she is running really rich at low revs and misfiring...hopefully it isn't too serious...changed the water bottle so parts for the front not hear yet so took her home and running dog rough, perfect on tickover rough as hell after okay on full throttle but nothing much happening in between... 

Sounds so much like "Limp Home Mode"

• Gold FFM

They're not meant to do that by the way. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Could do at night. Might be cool. :D

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

okay after much discussion with peter cosgrove at PNM we have identified that the coils must be working or there wouldn't be anyspark...so new ht leads and we will clean up the heavily corroded coil packs and all the connectors....

just rebuilding the front end and going to pay particular attention to the offside wheel which seems to lock up and the ABS light is coming on regularly...do want to have a better feel with the brakes but thats for later, just want her running sweet first...