Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine bay heat insulation - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine bay heat insulation

I've got the boot floor, engine cover, and engine bay side panels out, and as the what looks like reflective Baco-foil is tatty in places, I've decided to renew it on all of them.

It seems to be just thick alloy foil, glued on, and I'd question how effective it is as a heat barrier. Anyway, I was wondering why it is that Lotus chose to line the panels but not on the engine bay side. Why, when the GRP is in the firing line, particularly around the turbo area did they not place it on the opposite side? It will surely reflect, but the heat source is on the other side of the panel. What's going on there?

I'm pondering covering the engine bay side panels on the engine side, too.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

Margate Exotics.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stuff peter has used is available on ebay. Its a fibreglass matting with a silver outer.  You will need very high temp adhesive to stick it  in place.  I used it on the under side of the boot floor, the engine cover and the bulkhead.

I bought a shedload of this http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/Heat-Shields/Reflective-Heat-Shield/p-113-412/ to do the job.

The interesting thing about insulation is that if the insulating properties are any good, it shouldn't need super-duper glue. Well, that's what NASA told me when I went to Kennedy Space Center, anyway.

I shall get the wife to re-cover the side panels in the thickest alloy foil she can find, but she says the ASDA extra thick foil is not as thick as that which came off the panels.

Also, it's clear that the face of the GRP panel adjacent to the turbo has developed a matt finish, and so has been affected by the heat. I intend to cover it in that area at least.

Margate Exotics.

I used some random adhesive foil I found in the garage for the boot floor. Still holding strong 2 years later.... as is (unrelated) the plywood insert I've got sandwiched between the exhaust and its mounting bracket  :o 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8