Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S? - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S?

Thanks!

But is the bowl just glued to the speakers and just "hanging" under them? You have not screwed (is that right word ;-)) the bowl anywhere?

Pictures looks nice! I do not understand where the 1 mm gap is? Looks like perfect fit!

I guess it's hard to explain without pictures (sorry but I don't fancy taking my speaker out again).

As the underside of the 'bowl' is sticky it overlaps the lip around the red area drawn above.  I made sure I didn't cover the screw holes.  This then means that the cover surround disc (shown on the right above) sits slightly higher as it goes overs the 'tabs' of the 'bowl'.  This makes sure the the 'tabs' are stuck and held in place.  Although as this was a soft metal I could flatten it to reduce the height.

The speaker itself fits flush as the screw holes are not covered.  The 'bowl' is large enough not to obstruct the speaker, and as it's sticky underneath it can stick to some air pipes which also support it.

Also, as the 'bowl' is made from two strips of insulation made into a cross and folded this left 4 corners open.  One was useful to fit the cable through, the other 3 I didn't bother to cover but something that could be done.

1 minute ago, TonyKL said:

I guess it's hard to explain without pictures (sorry but I don't fancy taking my speaker out again).

As the underside of the 'bowl' is sticky it overlaps the lip around the red area drawn above.  I made sure I didn't cover the screw holes.  This then means that the cover surround disc (shown on the right above) sits slightly higher as it goes overs the 'tabs' of the 'bowl'.  This makes sure the the 'tabs' are stuck and held in place.  Although as this was a soft metal I could flatten it to reduce the height.

The speaker itself fits flush as the screw holes are not covered.  The 'bowl' is large enough not to obstruct the speaker, and as it's sticky underneath it can stick to some air pipes which also support it.

Also, as the 'bowl' is made from two strips of insulation made into a cross and folded this left 4 corners open.  One was useful to fit the cable through, the other 3 I didn't bother to cover but something that could be done.

Thanks! Final question... 2 strips? An inch width?

Just now, PeterSweden said:

Thanks! Final question... 2 strips? An inch width?

Yeah, I think they might have been 2 inches wide (as wide as I could make then without blocking the screw holes). One strip lay left to right, then the other top to bottom which effectively created a cross and the one I played second stuck to the one below.  The length was just trial and error as you need them long enough to fold down not to obstruct the speaker (I think the focals are deeper than the OEM) but not too long to get in the way.  I think it's something that might make sense if you give it a go.

Peter, please note, I am not an expert, far from it and have just installed mine the way I thought best.  Take my advice with a piece of salt as it is by no means correct.  For me I tried not to have the speaker touching the sound damping material (not sure I succeeded) and so the sticky side was down into the car, this allowed me to create the lip over the top and also this way it should not stick to the speaker.  This did mean that it stuck to some of the bits in the car like air pipes but that did not bother me.

If you have bowls at home the right size you might be able to create the enclosing using a kitchen bowl as a mould.  I couldn't be bothered hence the two strip solution.

Good luck.

Thank you! I will try to install everything tomorrow.

I have a huge interest in "normal" hifi, but not a clue about car hifi. But I now the extreme importance of sound deadening and sound insulation.

Btw, this is my playlist on Spotify, if you are interested in the best available sound quality on Spotify. More than 6000 followers ;-)

https://open.spotify.com/user/schwedenkreuz/playlist/4p3NtTbqFWrcSCwdsBq1PI?si=QBcECKLM

Peter, that looks very similar to what I did too. I think it's definitely worth doing, as there is big void under the front speakers - it sounded much better to my ears. I also added some wadding material (synthetic stuffing taken from one of cushions - don't tell my wife!!) into the "bowl", not sure if that made a huge difference,  it perhaps every little helps?!

Interesting.

I have some "real" sound deadening material used for hifi speakers. But I think thats to thick, will see tomorrow! Another option is to double the bowl thickness.

I saw the huge hole in the dashboard. That is definitely not good for the sound. Like a loudspeaker without cabinet.....

• 1 month later...

I'm picking up a Pioneer TS-WX120A sub later today, new and boxed and apparently unused, from a chap who didn't get around to fitting it.

Could somebody just confirm what is included with it, I just want to make sure all the cables are in the box...

• 1 month later...

Dave,

i was the same. The speakers are very easy to swap but the sub needs some knowledge.

i used http://www.shocksaway.com/contact.php

he does a lot for back on track customers and will travel to you.

he did a great job in that he was on time, didn’t damage anything, installed it neatly and it worked! Price was good as well.

• Like 2

Shameless plug, I have some Focal 100AC in the classifieds if interested. Also have fitted a one of the Piooner subs in the footwell, PM if interested :) 

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

• 4 months later...

Just replaced front speakers with Focal 100AC. Installation is quite easy. You have to keep the original grill and support, because the one provided by Focal is too large.

Of course the sound is better :)

I'll be sure to remember this if and when I come into ownership of an Exige 350

With the Exige 380 we drove, either the speakers were broken or the head unit wasn't happy - The speakers were so quiet through bluetooth audio and phone calls that even parked still at a services I could barely hear them over the sound of the motorway rushing past. NO hope in hell of them working if I was moving or the engine was running. The speakers sounded like they had a hole in the cone, just distorted n "floppy" sounding and if I turned it louder to try and get more sound it turned into a full on "flllpfft" type noise - like a fart almost ( no it wasn't me! )

It was indeed, it wasn't necessarily the volume that was the issue, it was the fact it was so distorted. Phone calls were impossible, and music turned into just a mess.

Tried a few things like turning the head unit up higher but phone lower and vice versa, no luck. Eventually gave up, even FM radio was turd

Sounds like a problem with the unit/wiring.

it should be clear but massively tinny with huge bass distortion when turned up louder :)

This upgrade massively changes it, I don’t want for more loudness, bass, clarity than I have now. 

What size speaker fits into the rear of a V6. Cany measure mine as I'm away.

thanks in advance.

Mark