Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Modifications posted on this forum... and then what? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Modifications posted on this forum... and then what?

Kristof Thys

I should probably post this in the General section, but I visit the Exige V6 section a lot more :D

Something I have always wondered: let's say that one has a highly modded Exige, posts all about the great stuff on the forum to share the knowledge, etc.

Then something goes pop on the car (let's say the engine): does Lotus track down the "situation" of that car on these forums during warranty?

Eg: trackdays, highly modded, etc.

To be clear: I am not in that position, as MY car is 100% stock :ice:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus are very reasonable with regards to their warranty claims and to be fair, are fairly smart when it comes to knowing what you've done with your car without having to read forums about it. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

This has been spoken about on various threads with some people doing mods that 'apparently do not negate the warranty' and other people have waited until their warranty has expired to do them.

I do not know what the circumstances are around modifications which may be factory endorsed? (if they exist)

I just drive an modified Esprit. A part of me really does not understand the desire to modify the car.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Sorry guys but no manufacturer will accept warranty on parts/modifications done if that part then fails.

I will guarantee if you ask Lotus Direct: "If I modify my Engine to give me more power and it blows, will you pay the Warranty?" the Answer will be " There s a bike, get on it" or words to that effect.

It's like putting a stripe over the car and finding out the glue lifts the paint. Of course they won't pay for the paint warranty!

It will all relate to the part that has been modified. If you modify the suspension and the Engine blows then of course they will pay the Warranty. However, if you modify the gearbox and the Engine goes then they will do an investigation. If that finds that the modifications to the gearbox put undue strain on the engine, pop goes your warranty.

My recommendation is always steer clear of modifying mechanical parts during the Warranty period. The issue is that (I'm not saying they will, but they are legally entitled to) if the part modified has any link with the part that fails, then they can refuse the claim.

We have several Warranties a year null en-voided by customers doing over 1000 miles past service due. We have engines that have seized at 1500 miles and the manufacturer has refused the claim because the person didn't double check the car had oil in it from new (despite that this should have been done by the dealer).

Lotus are a great manufacturer but they would be not only setting a dangerous precedent to accept claims on modified cars, they would be hitting the financial Suicide button.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Warranty is only applicable to the bits that were fitted to the car in the Lotus factory. I would imagine Lotus would still honour a warranty claim after minor mods like an after market exhaust, brake pads and so on. Possibly even an induction kit? But much beyond that, ecu fiddling, boost upgrade, engine internals very doubtful I'd have thought. I have to agree with Kimbers on this one. Best to wait until the warranty has run out before embarking on more serious mods.

I imagine Komotec offer their own warranty for their kits?