Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dash Cam Experiences - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dash Cam Experiences

Bibs

The car in front was attempting a "Crash for cash" scam and fortunately thanks to the camera didn't get away with it. Seems like a good idea since insurers do seem to like a 50/50 settlement which loads both policies too.

Anyone got one, any recommendations?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I have one for that very same reason (front and back on a loop) plus the unexpected sudden braking many of my customers like to demonstrate when being tailgated. No arguments at all especially if being filmed.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Bibs, that last compilation restored my faith in the human race. I'm sure there are far more decent people out there than there are low life's but we only seem to see the bad in everyone. The news & press generally concentrate on bad news, maybe it's about time we started to look at the positive more ? I'm as guilty as the next as I've never searched for 'good Samaritan' or 'good deed' etc on Youtube :-( 

Having said all that, I too am considering a dash cam, it would need to be easily transferable from vehicle to vehicle though as I drive 3 cars ( not at the same time ! ) I'd be interested in any recommendations.

Phil.

The car in front was attempting a "Crash for cash" scam and fortunately thanks to the camera didn't get away with it. Seems like a good idea since insurers do seem to like a 50/50 settlement which loads both policies too.

This is fuc£ing scary.

Anyone know how to wire up the rear camera on an Evora to record what's going on behind? Must be possible I guess, probably does already for all I know! If it's already insitu might be a nifty gadget to have on... I like gadgetry.

After seeing this shite I think it's worth investigating! Poor van driver doesn't cock up the guy behind did... What is going on in our green a pleasant land? Grrrr, i now want to hit something!!

Edited by auRouge

Yes, my recommendation is to take a hammer to the twat driving the Peugeot, followed by a massive kicking.

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Folks,

Dashcams. 

Does anyone have any experience of them? I'm pondering the thought of getting a front/back garmin system installed into the Evora, but i've absolutely no experience in them and i've also learnt not to trust review sites. 

Does anyone have any experience in Garmin models especially?

Can you use them (in some capacity) as a Go-Pro replacement? I've got this roadtrip i'm doing but the Go-Pro is being stolen for another purpose. 

Thanks for the move Bibs.

Looking at purchasing a Garmin GDR 45D for folks info. Front HD and rear, motion recording, parking recording, GPS location tagging, and speed monitoring. 

Might find a way to turn the last one off.

I bought a Mini 0805 for my van in February from the Car Camera Shop & I've been really impressed with it, so much so that I've just ordered 2 more for the daily driver & my Son's car after someone wrote off his last car by pulling out of a junction, the other driver initially said it was his fault & apologised but apparently has now changed his story & said my Son drove into him ! so I'm concerned they may go 50/50, having a camera, whilst not covering every eventuality would have proved beyond doubt who was at fault. They cost about £ 100 with GPS. The one in my van just plugs into the cigar lighter & I bought another lead so I can use it in the Esprit but I've ordered the others with a fixed wiring kit so they are neater.

Basically you just attach the mount to the screen, plug it in & go, it turns on when the ignition is on & off when you stop so you just fit & forget it. I'm running it with a 32Gb micro SD card.

Highly recommended for the price.

Are they legal in the UK? Illegal here as a violation of data privacy. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I was reading up on them; very popular in France, gotta be careful in some countries for privacy reasons, but no laws against using them. Just if you're specifically invading someone's privacy.

• Gold FFM

Yes. Very legal in the UK. Lots of good models on the market now as well and prices coming down. I use a Blackvue 550 - pricey but does everything and controlled Bluetooth via iPhone or iPad.

It won't be many years until the Insurance Companies make it a compulsory requirement.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

This trend hasn't got here yet. Thanks the stars.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

More to the point Micheal, I can't find a reason why anybody wouldn't want one. It's unfortunately becoming a 'necessary' need. I would put it in the same category as a fire alarm or a burglar alarm or any Insurance policy on the basis - you hope you never need it, but most likely there will be a time.

After two people ran into my Evora I added front and back Cams:

Transcend 220 in the front, full GPS, parking mode etc.

Transcend 200 in the Back but it was obscuring the rear view a little to much so have just bought a Mini 0805 with GPS etc.

Have caught all sorts of interesting driving on camera, fortunately so far not directly involving me.

Tris...

Hi Tony, that's the one but make sure it's from a reputable source as there are a lot of copies of dubious quality & also the 0805 was updated towards the end of last year so make sure it's not the older spec one.

Phil.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff - this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SZNPORS?psc=1

That's the one, although I bought the 'Inspect' version. As I understand it, they are a genetic unit modified & branded by different Chinese firms.

Not fitted it yet, I had my Transcend 200 mounted in the engine bay, but the appalling weather over the weekend highlighted that there was no where I could put it without it getting wet, and it obscured the view out the back to much if I mounted it on back window in the cabin.

So far both Transcend units have been 100% reliable, good image in all conditions. We will see about this one, feedback on them is a bit mixed.

Tris...

• 3 weeks later...

Already priceless - Had a litle 'altercation' with a lorry driver - apparently he didn't like that I was going 55 on the motorway, despite the vehicle infront of me also going 55, and the vehicle infront of him, and so on....

Cue lots of flashing from him, angry gestures, and so on. Now cue me caling the company and havin' him by the balls. 

vlcsnap-2015-06-22-12h39m00s360_zpsuagpcvlcsnap-2015-06-22-12h40m26s677_zps2iit3vlcsnap-2015-06-22-12h39m58s687_zps8qjcg

• Like 2

Awesome, I want one! Haha, get the f@(£er sacked! It's the likes of him and a lot of other foreign freight traffic that causes heart stopping moments! Is it me or has it got worse in the last 12-24 months?!

• Like 1

It gets worse by the year from what I've seen! Maybe I'm just getting older and more cynical though...

You know - usually I'd not be so 'aggressive' in my actions when it comes to bad driving. Heck, accidents (whether or not they turn into a traffic accident) occurs. I've been known to make a few blunders.

But being an complete moron for deliberate reasons to inflict damage/harm to myself, my property or my loved ones....for all he knew, I could have had a kid in the car. The fucker can lose his job and do something else that doesn't put him in control of other people's wellbeing.

On the plus side, I only installed it yesterday afternoon! This was my first journey with it, so it was definitely well timed.

• Like 2