Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
hp and nm expectancy with an Alunox manifold. - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

hp and nm expectancy with an Alunox manifold.

HI all,

Yes, I know, hard to tell, more so as this usually shows it self when doing other Things as well, so in a combination it rises power etc.

But, I would like to ask, if someone would have a Measurement or a best guess on what I may expect from installing an Alunox tubular manifold on my 1990 Turbo SE.

This will not be completely the only part.

I already have a Quicksilver free flow exhaust system, a K&N airfilter (debateable), and together with the Alunox manifold, I will install a new free flow sportscat plus small parts.

I don't want to tune the car as such, only to get what is there. As the standard exhaust seems to have been a one size fits all markets, incl. the strict American markets (California), any change will be for the better. I will mention, that I feel the car running quite strong as is now.

So, does someone know something about this manifold, sportscat, filter and exhaustsystem combo?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 7 months later...

Thanks Ian,

Now, I am having a chance to get a genuine Sport300 turbo.

It will have to be overhauled. Will there be any gains in havinga  360 degree bearing installed in the same time? And will a ceramic ball bearing be able to be installed, or not, and will it actually be a better solution than a normal thrust 360 degree bearing? Or will it explode ;) 

I know that more modern turbos are way more efficient and all that, but that is not really my interest.

I would like to know some more on the Sport300 turbo. I can only find a Little spec on that unit, and I would also like to know from someone WHO's done turbo Works, what to expect from the SPort300 original turbo?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Jacques,

Answering your question is perhaps not so easy, but in my case, after the complete engine rebuild from bare block up, using an unidentifiable Turbo Charger, and Welch Eng. Injector set and S4s +3% Fuel ECU Chip, head porting (not 100% sure that this was accomplished by Mr. Jamie Goffaux as he lied about other tasks billed to me such as a Welch Turbo Charger), Alunox headers, K&N Air Filter, 107 Cam pulleys and some form of an upgraded cam shaft - not sure what it really is). From a standing start and normal clutch operation, going through 1st gear happens faster than I can even get set to shift into 2nd gear now, and 2nd gear lasts about 2.5 seconds or less and 3rd is then needed or engine shuts off. Understand that new tires are on the car so no wheel spin nor is the clutch "popped", just normal engagement to start off. I am even starting to think I am running out of fueling in 2nd and will need a bigger pump, a MAF meter and Wide band O2 sensor to keep track of what is going on. Rolling road is hoping to be tried out over the next two months to see. Keep in mind I only get to drive it once a week or two as it sits indoors in my Delaware house's garage whilst i sit here in Maryland getting this house emptied out... If I am not careful, engine over revs in 1st and 2nd very easily now. Scary, but very exciting - like my old Honda V65 Magna, almost. Certainly a lot of this is due to the Alunox headers. As you know, next modification is a 3.5" exhaust to get even less back pressure on the Turbo. This may be my undoing though as I am not sure I could then even use the throttle fully in 1st or 2nd without incurring near misses to things on the side of the road. I did once blow of the Blow Off valve from its fitting due to pressures from the new turbo. Now, it is cemented in place, If I could get the front brakes to stop pulling to the left now. lol. As to spool up times, there is none, NONE, for me now that I can feel and there was quite a bit (1 to 2 Seconds) on the original engine before rebuild. FYI, the AEM boost gauge shows ~1.25 Bar at full throttle in 1st and 2nd and 3rd until I am going too fast and have to slow down so I can not get figures in full 3rd or 4th or 5th. Runs like a scalded ape, so-to-speak. I can not speak highly enough about the Alunox header as a major contributor to this result. I don't need no stinking V8 though I do wish I had the front bumper treatment of the S4/S4s/V8.

Anyone got a 6 Speed transmission for sale?

Cheers to all.

• Like 2

Thanks for the description Michael. Great to hear that your Esprit is running so well ;)

Have you taken apart your calipers and cleaned them up and looked for scarred pistons?

Maybe bushings? Tracking? Tirewear uneven?

Bibs: I read all he has posted on this, but he is using a heavily tuned engine, so that will derive totally different results.

Anyway, I have today installed the alunox manifold to my Esprit. I'll post that on Little Red Riding Hood.

Cheers,

Jacques.

• 1 month later...

So, to get back to my secondary questions regarding the Sport300 turbo, I have been unable to find exact specs or Measurements for this specific turbo to compare it to the standars SE turbo (also not able to find specs).

I'd really like to know more about them if someone knows anything.

And I'd also really like to know more of the effect of installing a 360 degree bearing instead of the original 270 degree bearing (both thrust bearings).

By the way: is there a bed in procedure to a new turbo? Or can it be used right away?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• 7 months later...

Well, to answer my own question, installing the alunox exhaust tubular manifold (and a free flow sports cat) on a stock engine, save a sports exhaust system, I dyno'ed it, and got 8 Hp over the stock exhaust cast manifold, but saw a drop in Nm of about 20Nm.

But installing a sport300 turbo, ecm, fuelpump and fpr plus a bov, the dyno saw 330Hp, 415Nm and less lag, a much cooler chargecooler and so far, no limit to how many times I can release power, with no drop in turbo pressure. I didn't try endlessly of course, but extended "sporty" driving, did not show any limit to the boost. That is very satisfying when driving.

To me at least, this alunox exhaust manifold Works best in unison with other tuning components, albeit not very heavily tuned, after all, just sport300 spec save the cylinderhead, which is still SE (will be changed later on). A heavy tuning seems to bring good results as well, as described by others.

All in all, a beneficial installment.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1