Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Starter motor and solenoid picture - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Starter motor and solenoid picture

• Gold FFM

anyone got a picture of this??

Need to know what terminals do what? I think the one lump on the picture I've seen is the solenoid.

Have looked in the manual and parts list - there's a picture of sorts - but no details that I can see.

My cars clicking - keep flicking the key - more clicks - it will fire after a few try's - I'm pretty sure the contacts are shitty inside - but would like to strip down the right part!!

Cheers

Only here once

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The top bit is the solenoid. It's just a small cylinder on top of the starter and should have just two electrical connections. A large battery cable (with a 13mm nut) and a small exciter cable (push fit) from the ignition key.

Depending on your budget, by the time you've got the thing on the bench to fiddle with it, is it not more cost effective (in both cash and time) just to replace it?

• Gold FFM

Lovely.

Will attack it if I get time tomorrow. I'd be able to strip and rebuild it so would prefer that option if it's rebuildable. I'm sure it's just poor contacts inside that need a good clean.

Time is a plenty - the MD see the expenses!!!! So would rather fix if possible - frees up more cash flow elsewhere!!! Hmm brands hatch is coming up

Only here once

Before you get down to stripping it all apart it is worth checking the engine earthing strap.

I had a similar issue a few months ago and went round and round in circles stripping the starter apart, blaming the solenoid etc.etc. before taking the engine earth strap off and finding that it was making poor contact to the chassis.

Replaced it and bingo... all good!

The clue of this being the problem is if the rest of the car 'think's it's lost power when you try and start i.e. all lights dim and sometimes the headlight pods cycle.

With regards to connections - there are 3 on my 1988 N/A.  One thin cable which is fed from the ignition and is used to 'tell' the solenoid to engage the starter and two thick cables on the same solenoid post.  One goes to the battery and the other feeds the front of the car.

• Gold FFM

Think I've eliminated that - I banged a jump lead from battery to engine block and had the same issue.

My guess is the solenoid contacts

Only here once

Does begin to sound like it - or the motor itself.  Do you get a big current draw when you engage the starter or just a click from the solenoid?

• Gold FFM

Not checked the current draw.....will do

I'm bloody working today - will try and get the car on the ramp and fettle later if I can. I could reliably get it to start with multiple key flicks until the starter span up - I'm soooo sure it's he solenoid. But happy to fix it no matter what it is - I sure don't fancy adding a picture of it on here on the back of a transporter !!

Only here once

I sure don't fancy adding a picture of it on here on the back of a transporter !!

It comes to the best of us.........................just a matter of time.

• Gold FFM

No no no no..

That's not nice........even when it does - I shall remain firmly in denial of the incident in question,,,,,

Only here once

Changed the solenoid on mine a couple of months ago.   Found one for £5 on ebay which was a result.   Bear in mind you need to desolder & resolder a large post so you need a method to do that (not a domestic iron)

• Gold FFM

Been out to the garage - can now see the starter motor - right at the top and easy to get to...

Who put the bloody plenum chamber in the way!!!

So turn key - no go.........

Drenched the whole assembly in contact cleaner - then drenched it again.

Then starts every time so far....

Only here once

It comes to the best of us.........................just a matter of time.

Been there done it - didn't take a picture - but now a member of the Recovered Lotus Club!

anyone got a picture of this??

Need to know what terminals do what? I think the one lump on the picture I've seen is the solenoid.

Have looked in the manual and parts list - there's a picture of sorts - but no details that I can see.

My cars clicking - keep flicking the key - more clicks - it will fire after a few try's - I'm pretty sure the contacts are shitty inside - but would like to strip down the right part!!

Cheers

Glad you got sorted without much trouble!

Just to add, the starters I've worked on (3 starters on 2 different SE's, including a newly bought one) had 3 connections: a large M8 nut for the positive battery cables to battery and alternator and 2 male spades: one from the starter relay and the other unused. Apparently the other connection was used on older engines to supply 12V to the ignition coil instead of a regulated 6 or 7V supply with the engine running, just to get a better spark during starting when battery voltage can drop.

If you (or any readers) ever take of the starter motor, make sure you know which spade is for the starter relay, or nothing will happen when you turn the key (just don't ask me how I know...).

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.