Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Esprit?! - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Esprit?!

• Gold FFM

130000 Dollars for an 500HP car ?! , wow! Let's guess what the Euro is in 2010 :lol:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm i ve spoke few weeks back with bmw dealer about this engine, and saw real in x6, must say engine is huge, no idea how ll lotus fit inside sport car:) (oh yes comparing with my esprit) but they told me that they cant imagine this engine in back and well cooled.

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

• Gold FFM

i guess Lotus can manage to retrofit an other climate, steering and other external auxiliaries. But the engine main covers (together with the modern variable inlet cambers) are huge today. So there are many points to modify...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
MSN must actually pay this Trent Character as a "Motoring Journalist" :thumbup:

Can't be much of a motoring hac. Pictures are 18 months old and they are not of a Lotus - Its a Spector.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

ta! that's an funny "mix-up" of old and new parts/designs .... :lol

framed door Glass, the Citroen wing mirrors, the round [fat] Elise style tail, and an Elise/Exige windscreen with additional roof line.. .

I think it would bee the best the Esprit would get an more 'unic' design - just to set its position in the model range..

This is the Mega Monte Carlo ................

It was made by the French Aixam Group, manufacturer of "micro-cars" for driving without license or disabled persons..........

This car had a mid-mounted 6 ltr. Mercedes V12 engine producing 395 bph; 0 - 60 mph in 4.4 seconds; top speed 300.0 kph / 186.4 mph; a carbon fiber chassis, carbon fibre brakes.............

Not bad for those days (1996)......!!!

I like it.......!!!

post-2213-1216487854.jpg

post-2213-1216487879.jpg

more info:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1185.html

Best regards, Ruud

• Gold FFM

So I'm right with 'old and new' , some really bad (old fashion) design: the side window with frames must be really noisy in higher speeds (not good for an high-class car). And this huge single windscreen wiper (who has not the right shape, shown in the actual position) would also 'dance' in the wind. It's the same problem as on the last Esprits... . Those French relation cleared also why it has the old wing mirrors, but what i would like to know is -who was first?? Especially this rear side air intake looks so Elise-stylish ;-)

What i have not seen in the side /profile view -the windscreen is wider than those in the Elise . The car should have a bit more room inside , right?

Is the rear end "active" (does it have an ground effect undertray) -or is it only an stylish 'look alike' ?

Edited by G

• 2 weeks later...

Some new info from AutoCar http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/...oncepts/234236/

The car is now due in 2011. I would have been upset by this but having just placed an order for an Evora I dont mind the wait so much...

I wonder if they are considering using the same Toyota V6 on the Esprit. A supercharged, hybrid version of the V6 should be good for >500BHP whilst still offering decent CO2 emissions.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I hope they dont change the name of the Esprit to something else, this would be a real shame. Long live the Esprit name.

I dunno... If the car is really different I would preffer it get a new name. As much as I like the newer Europa, it does not look or feel like a Europa (as in the Type 47). It could have gotten a new name and I'd have been happy about it. On the other hand, there is a lot of history in some of these names... and it is not being tapped for the market worth a rats butt IMO. Lotus needs to get on the stick with add space. Some of the newer adds are, well, blah. The new Eruopa missed the boat by not being delivered to the USA as well... by now the back yard racers would be painting them orange and white and running the crap out of the like they did the Type 47 back in the day.

If the new Esprit is going to be radically different from the old Esprit models AND have nothing in the way of a GT race car then call it what you want. I want to see Lotus, as do many, back in the ALMS type of racing. I think they should do this in GT2 with the Evora. With others pulling out, a private team with a supplied car and some 'covert' factory help could make a good show. And, being "new" with team and car, an off season would not hurt. Hard core people would rally the brand and for those that do not know the differece, the brand would get some much needed recognition. Enough time has gone by for all but the hard core to forget Lotus in the glory days. When fewer folks are buying... add space needs to be premium!

I would hate to see a New Dodge Charger or New Pontiac GTO approach to a new car from Lotus. It might be a good car, but name it for the sake of naming it after a predisessor just sits poorly with me. I like the New Charger and GTO for what they are... but common'... nothing like the old school cars.

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Evora at best a GT4 car imo - GT3 at a push as Exiges have made that cut

Esprit potential GT2 car but that's so dominated by Porsche/Ferrari then GT3 or heaven forbid.. Gt1 is the better target..

really like the Evora - Esprit at the moment looks out of sync and Lotus have done well to have waited.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

I figure the Evora could be lighter for the track and toss in a turbo charger and some re-mapping... ? If the RX-8 can make a good show (and it has) then surely the Evora can too...

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I agree and disagree regarding money and the mass market. It depends on your target demographic. Ferrari and Pagani could not give a rip about the current economy. They just keep selling. You have be invited to get on the list just to get a new Ferrari. They have marketed (and a good job of it) in such a way that it speaks to a very few people with plenty of money to spend.

Given that, Ferrari... almost any of them, are practially Hondas when production numbers are looked at over the years compared to Lotus. However, Lotus seems to be going more main stream like Porsche. I am okay with that to a point. Corvettes and Porsches are not "exotic' cars IMO. They are everywhere. I took a photo in front a market in Miami last year and there are 17 Porsches in the photo. There was no club meeting...

The Evora should compete with this. It is perfect for that market and a very pretty car. The Esprit IMO needs to maintain the exotic low production status it has always had... so Lotus marketing these 2 cars puts them in a very sweet spot. But they have to marketed the right way. Marketing is something Lotus needs to ramp up big time in the USA. Tap into the past that is so rich... I do not think Lotus should ever start looking at the "true" main stream as a place for it to do business. They should not produce anything that would try to take business away from the Toyota Tercel or Camry or the Mazda 6.

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

• 4 weeks later...

im a little confused here. so there is going to be the evora, is that what they are calling the new espirit? or is that a different car and they are also doing a new esprit? and what is the eagle?

also...has lotus pretty much given up on making its own motors? part of the reason i would never consider an elise is because it has a toyota motor, it looks like the evora has a pretty weak v6 that im pretty sure is a toyota motor too (i could be wrong there) what is the new esprit gonna have?

Edited by roosterjuicer

The Evora is a new car, it was called 'Project Eagle' until recently.

The MES (Mid Engined Supercar) is the Esprit replacement, different car.

Lotus don't make their own engines and if you believe that the Elise is any less of a car due to it's Toyota engine I'd suggest you research the engines more. They are supremely reliable units with great efficiencies and the NA 3.5l V6 in the Evora is a tried, tested, upgradable and flexible choice. Lotus no longer make their own engines due to the cost, it's

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

thanks for the clarification.

i never said the toyota engines were bad, i just said I'd never buy a car with a toyota motor. I personally dont like toyota or japanese cars in general (totally personal choice with little to no evidentiary backing whatsoever) and i dont like the idea of buying a "lotus" with one of the most important parts of the car made by a japanese company. i feel like it makes the cars loose some of their lotus mystique or something (i know mystique wont get you around a track but its my personal opinion).

and a 270 something horsepower naturally aspirated 3.5 litre v6 out of a camry or whatever just doesn't scream "supercar" at me like i think it should (once again, total personal opinion)

the v8 is probably a better car than the s4s, but i still prefer the s4s to the v8, its kind of a similar concept.

haha the first time i heard lotus was putting toyota engines in their cars i said "now thats fighting talk" (and i said the same thing when i heard they were putting a v8 in an esprit)

but the v8 does have 50 extra horsepower and if i remember right it does 60 in 4.4 as opposed to the s4s' 4.7.