Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
URGENT HELP REQUIRED - V6 Exige Limp Mode - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - V6 Exige Limp Mode

So I went to start my V6 Exige this morning and I have the engine light and traction control light on the dash and it wont rev above 1500rpm ?

Problem is I'm not at home and staying in a B&B for the MLOC Lotus in the Peak event and suppose to be one of the group leaders for the run in the morning !

I've currently just connected the battery and will leave for 30 mins.... 

Any ideas appreciated 1532.gif 

Cheers,
Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is the engine light flashing?

From the engine diagnostics booklet:

i) If the MIL lights continuously whilst driving, immediately reduce speed and adopt a moderate driving style.
Seek Lotus dealer advice without delay and avoid all unnecessary journeys.
ii) If the MIL flashes, an engine misfire has been detected which is likely to cause overheat damage to the
catalytic converter.
Slow down immediately and be prepared to stop.
- If the MIL then stops flashing, and is lit continuously, proceed with caution and seek dealer advice.
- If the MIL continues to flash, stop the vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so, and switch off the engine. Seek
Lotus dealer advice".

if you have a diagnostic tool, or if someone in the group has, you could plug it in and get the code which will indicate what is wrong.

It may just go off if you leave the car for a while, but it is probably best to get it checked if it remains on. The AA may be able to read the code....

Edited by PaulLF1

If the AA can read the code, let me know, I have a list of them all.

Fingers crossed it is a dodgy connection/sensor, rather than an engine fault.

Throttle Actuator Control System – Forced Idle
P2104 Throttle actuator control system – forced idle
Description
If a problem is detected which could result in faster engine speed than commanded by the pedal, the
actuator is switched out, allowing the throttle valve to default to a 6% mechanically sprung setting. This
provides a fast idle speed which may be used to effect a 'limp home' mechanism.
Monitor:
• Continuous
Enable Criteria:
• Engine running
Disable Criteria:
• None
Potential failure modes:
• Electronic throttle fault
Note: This code indicates action taken by the ECU, and will always be accompanied by another code which
has caused this action.

Have you the other code?

Edited by PaulLF1

Now sorted :-}

Removed intake hose, manually operated throttle valve and allowed to reset code, and starts with no erros, No other codes reported

Cheers for your help Paul, Going for a test drive now so fingers crossed it will be OK ?

Edited by Kosmo

Phew... Looked for one moment it might have to go to the dealers to be sorted.

At least you have the warranty to fall back on and of course the 2 year AA cover.

Let me know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Error code was P2104 - throttle control unit.

Couldn't reset at 1st so the AA suggested removing the intake hose and manually operating the butterfly, once this was done the error could be reset and everything was good to go.

Will get it to Lotus in the near future to get it checked out.

Cheers Andy

So the error re-appeared last night after LitP so had to call the AA out again, Once reset I dropped the car of to Lotus Silverstone today for them to investigate, Not holding up much hope of a quick fix before the weekend !

By the way, when its reset the car drives fine with no symptoms, it only appears after the car has been sat overnight of for long periods,

Will keep you all posted.... sad.png

• Gold FFM

I think it is odd that the ECU takes action when the car is stopped and turned off? I am wondering if there is a sensor issue when you turn the car back on prior to the ECU limiting the revs?

Though why you aren't being a second fault, as Paul has said, I don't know.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Andy has said on another thread that the error codes are P2104 and P2119.

P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System – Forced Idle

P2119 Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance

Component connections
Connector Description ECU Pin ECU Connector
1 Motor A M1 48 Way (Centre)
2 Motor B L2 48 Way (Centre)
3 Throttle position sensor ground C4 48 Way (Centre)
4 Throttle position sensor1 signal F3 48 Way (Centre)
5 Throttle position sensor voltage E4 48 Way (Centre)
6 Throttle position sensor2 signal F2 48 Way (Centre)

P2104 Throttle actuator control system – forced idle
Description
If a problem is detected which could result in faster engine speed than commanded by the pedal, the
actuator is switched out, allowing the throttle valve to default to a 6% mechanically sprung setting. This
provides a fast idle speed which may be used to effect a 'limp home' mechanism.
Monitor:
• Continuous
Enable Criteria:
• Engine running
Disable Criteria:
• None
Potential failure modes:
• Electronic throttle fault
Note: This code indicates action taken by the ECU, and will always be accompanied by another code which
has caused this action.

P2119 Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance
Monitor:
• Continuous
Enable Criteria:
• Ignition on
Disable Criteria:
• None
Malfunction Criteria
• Throttle position does not close during start up.
• Throttle position not stationary to within 0.01V over 10ms interval
Potential failure modes:
• Wiring/harness issue at throttle body connector
• Wiring/harness issue at ECU connector
• Throttle body dirty

Diagnostic Mask:
• The MIL will be illuminated if fault is present.

Hopefully the throttle body is dirty.

So I picked the LF1 up from Lotus Silverstone on Saturday after dropping it off on the previous Monday for them to investigate the throttle control ECU errors and the car going in to limp mode. (ref post above)

On receiving the car Silverstone called the Lotus factory who then sent a tech over on Wednesday to take a look, Investigative work included checking out all the connections and wiring linked to the throttle control and ECU, Unfortunately nothing was found so the next step was to update the firmware in the ECU.

The good news is the error did not return over the next few days even after multiple starts each day, the bad news is they didn’t find anything conclusive so can’t confirm if it’s 100% fixed which I totally understand…. How can you fix something that’s not broken ?

Anyway, while the car was at Silverstone I asked them to check out a couple of little niggles, these included a suspected loose driver’s seat and stiff boot/engine cover release mechanism and I’m happy to say they sorted both even replacing the seat runner on the driver’s seat.

Overall very happy with the service from Lotus Silverstone, Let’s hope the fault is sorted as I’m off to Spa at the weekend for a track day on Monday.

Andy.

Thanks for the update Andy.

When was your car built? 2014?

Have you seen the service bulletin for cars built before Dec 2014? I assume you will get that done free, under the 3 years free servicing?

What firmware version have you got now?

I think there is a way to check and get the firmware version on the dash, I came across the method a while back but forgot to bookmark the page. Anyone know?

I may be lucky regarding the recall, I fitted a fire extinguisher this week in preparation for a track day Spa on Monday and had to remove the passenger seat and noticed a sticker on the base with date of manufacture Dec 2014 ?

I will try and confirm software version, I believe you hold the button that changes the dash display while switching on the ignition to display the version.....

I may be lucky regarding the recall, I fitted a fire extinguisher this week in preparation for a track day Spa on Monday and had to remove the passenger seat and noticed a sticker on the base with date of manufacture Dec 2014 ?

I will try and confirm software version, I believe you hold the button that changes the dash display while switching on the ignition to display the version.....

Hi Andy 

Say hello to Steve for me at Spa, he will be driving a Black Evora.

Cheers

Pete. 

• 2 weeks later...

After returning from a week away I went to start the car yesterday morning and guess what.. The problem is back, Same symtoms and error codes so its back off to Lotus Silverstone tomorrow  :thumbdown:

Have they tried swapping ecu first?

Only reason I ask is that my case was very similar and turned out to be an ecu....

Damn sight easier to replace than the loom.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Have they tried swapping ecu first?

Only reason I ask is that my case was very similar and turned out to be an ecu....

Damn sight easier to replace than the loom.

They are confident it's the engine loom on advice from Lotus HQ, this is based on other occurrences of the same error on other V6 engined cars.

What was your error codes ?

Edited by Kosmo

There is a thread here somewhere.

P2104/p2106/others....

All linked to a voltage mismatch between pedal and throttle.

Lotus themselves were adamant it was the loom, so it was replaced.

Issue remained so then Silverstone swapped my ecu with another car... Issue followed the ecu...

Surely the "easy" things should be tried before swapping looms, given its 10-15hrs labour to change an engine harness....

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel