Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
URGENT HELP REQUIRED - V6 Exige Limp Mode - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - V6 Exige Limp Mode

There is a thread here somewhere.

P2104/p2106/others....

All linked to a voltage mismatch between pedal and throttle.

Lotus themselves were adamant it was the loom, so it was replaced.

Issue remained so then Silverstone swapped my ecu with another car... Issue followed the ecu...

Surely the "easy" things should be tried before swapping looms, given its 10-15hrs labour to change an engine harness....

I think the P2119 code is what's pointing them towards the loom, However I will speak to them tomorrow with this info, When was this ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Indeed.

Hence why I would hope they've exhausted all "easy" fixes... Like swapping ecu from one Exige v6 to another, swapping throttle bodies, pedal is a bit harder etc.

It's certainly not ideal, but I'm just hoping they've tried everything else before marching down the loom route.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

I assume that the work will all be free?

I think in a PM message I sent you I had found a similar problem someone else had and Lotus swapped the harness and it was fine. However it is definitely worth swapping the ECU first to see if that fixes it. I have read on the web that even after a ECU swap, it still may be the harness. But if the work is free, then at least whatever is tried is not going to cost you anything.

All work is covered under warranty, I have 3 years warranty and service and 2 years AA cover.

I'll definetly speak to Simverstone tomorrow and get them to try the ECU, got to be worth a try, however the problem is once the error is reset it may not occur again for a while !

It's not worth 2nd guessing the factory, these are the people who built the car after all. While the Evora fix was identified, the Exige is still a different car.

Understood Bibs, but they were wrong with mine :lol:

I am just of the opinion of covering the "easy" bits first, rather than embarking on a loom change which is a BIG job.

The explanation from the factory was plausible and based in the same error codes as mine on other vehicles so I have to trust them, however they need to also check other possibilities - fingers crossed

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the LF1 today from Lotus Silverstone after having the engine harness replaced and some paintwork defects corrected under warranty..... So far so good and can't wait to go for a good run.

Anyway, big thanks to Matt and Aimee for all there help  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hope it has all been sorted. Fingers crossed for you.

What paintwork defects did you get corrected?

Hope it has all been sorted. Fingers crossed for you.

What paintwork defects did you get corrected?

There were 2 round marks on the rear clam about 25mm dia. under the lacquer what looked like drips from the paint gun but had been attempted to be flatted out by the paint shop, you could only see them in a certain light but were very prominent once noticed, Lotus agreed straight away once I showed them to correct under warranty  :thumbup:  

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody, I'm having the very same issue. I have a 360 Cup, delivered brand new on July 27, 2016. Since that date it's the third time I've got the P2014-P2119-P0507 codes, with traction control and engine lights on and limp mode on. For the past 6 months, my car has been going in and out of the dealer's workshop, without any conclusive solution.... is it the ECU ???? The wiring harness ???? Did the ones who had this very same problem had their issue solved once and for all by doing something ???? Lotus Factory are not very helpful with my dealer so far......

I had this problem after 2 months of ownership as well. They switched out my throttle body and everything has been rosy every since. Tell them to try this. 

Best of luck to you guys, I know it's a very frustrating issue. 

• Like 1

They're trying everything....the first time they did nothing, erasing the codes and praying it's not coming back...... than when I left the garage, it went into limp mode when I stopped to refuel the car........they've already swapped the throttle body the 2nd time, with no result....than, they "clean" the ECU.... reset it, whatever....than it worked for a while, but after 2 winter months without driving it went again into limp mode the 2nd day I drove the car........ now back at the dealers.... the car is only 2'000 miles, of which 1'000 in test drives and going back and forth to the garage..... they will have a technician come over from England sometimes....soon....hopefully....but will try other tricks before.... like swapping the ECU, throttle body (again....) and other..... pfffffffffff this should NEVER happen to one in only 50 cars...(that's a 2 % scrap which would bankrupt anybody shortly if it's a recurring problem....no wonder they have trouble making money with these cars)..... i don't know why they don't change everything which can go wrong in the first place, select the right suppliers to start with, or take the car back to the factory to fix it, especially when it's a known issue......on a brand new car....

Edited by Swiss360Cup

I would get them to investigate the engine loom, once this was replaced on my car there was no more problems, However I don't own the car anymore. Lotus Silverstone carried out the work so get your dealer to speak with them directly.

Hope you get it sorted.

Andy.

6 hours ago, Swiss360Cup said:

They're trying everything....the first time they did nothing, erasing the codes and praying it's not coming back...... than when I left the garage, it went into limp mode when I stopped to refuel the car........they've already swapped the throttle body the 2nd time, with no result....than, they "clean" the ECU.... reset it, whatever....than it worked for a while, but after 2 winter months without driving it went again into limp mode the 2nd day I drove the car........ now back at the dealers.... the car is only 2'000 miles, of which 1'000 in test drives and going back and forth to the garage..... they will have a technician come over from England sometimes....soon....hopefully....but will try other tricks before.... like swapping the ECU, throttle body (again....) and other..... pfffffffffff this should NEVER happen to one in only 50 cars...(that's a 2 % scrap which would bankrupt anybody shortly if it's a recurring problem....no wonder they have trouble making money with these cars)..... i don't know why they don't change everything which can go wrong in the first place, select the right suppliers to start with, or take the car back to the factory to fix it, especially when it's a known issue......on a brand new car....

It's not really 2% of the cars.

The engine and gearbox, electric, chassis etc are the same as the regular cars.

Sounds like the dealer needs some help!!!!

Yes you're right, it's not 2 % ...... but this one is 100 % of my problem :)... Lotus techniciens are helping my dealer but it's a slow process unfortunately

15 hours ago, Kosmo said:

I would get them to investigate the engine loom, once this was replaced on my car there was no more problems, However I don't own the car anymore. Lotus Silverstone carried out the work so get your dealer to speak with them directly.

Hope you get it sorted.

Andy.

Yes Andy, I read this post already a few months ago and told them to do so already.... but they prefer to go through the factory techniciens..who should also know about your issue and all the others by the way...... how long after changing the loom did you sell the car ?? Did you get a chance to drive it without problem ???? 

26 minutes ago, NANO said:

Your dealer is an official Lotus ?

They've been quite helpful, and have tried, but I believe it's the whole process going back and fort talking to the Warranty techniciens back in Hethel which is a pain in the A....., and apparently it's a known issue, it seems on Evora the wiring harnais was already an issue some times ago with several instances, now this problem doesn't seem to be isolated either, so after 1 Porsche Turbo S, 2 GT3 RS and 1 GT3, I wonder...... :):):) And the problem started after 1'000 kms only.......

2 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

It's not really 2% of the cars.

The engine and gearbox, electric, chassis etc are the same as the regular cars.

Sounds like the dealer needs some help!!!!

Maybe not 2 % but these cars are "simple", meaning not that much electronic to mess up everything.... so they should have less problem in my opinion.... and sparing on parts of a few hundreds bucks like the wiring harness will not make them profitable, given the risk of client dissatisfaction when a problem occurs, and the bad publicity.... You know in Switzerland we like things working like a cukoo watch......

Salut
the important thing is that you can help as soon as possible (the car is new - you did not think to make you change the car with another ??) and that you are convinced of their work, respectively, of their contacts ... or other currency possibilities (with the guarantee I think you can move anywhere).

Good luck ... à bien tôt avec  des bonnes nouvelles !!

If your dealer is not experienced enough - bring it to KomoTec or have them pick up the car ... they are imho the shop in Germany with the largest Lotus experience. I am sure they will be able to fix it. 

Hope you have this behind yourself soon - its a great car and its very rewarding.

On 20/03/2017 at 07:34, Xisthos said:

I had this problem after 2 months of ownership as well. They switched out my throttle body and everything has been rosy every since. Tell them to try this. 

Best of luck to you guys, I know it's a very frustrating issue. 

They've apparently already swapped the throttle body the 2nd time it happened, with no success....they told me they'll try it again this time.... also swapping the ECU, etc. trying everything to isolate the wiring harness, since it's such a pain to change it..... they'll try everything before reporting to a new harness........fingers crossed.... but I think I'll never be confident to drive this car too far from home.......which is a pity, since it was destined to epic track days like I used to do with my GT3s....

38 minutes ago, NW76 said:

If your dealer is not experienced enough - bring it to KomoTec or have them pick up the car ... they are imho the shop in Germany with the largest Lotus experience. I am sure they will be able to fix it. 

Hope you have this behind yourself soon - its a great car and its very rewarding.

Guess what..... when it happened 2 weeks ago, it was the sundday March 12, before I was supposed to bring my car to Komo-Tec for an extensive job...... EX 430 Kit, oïl cooler, light flywheel and clutch, short ratios, Quaife différentiel, etc. etc. the whole thing to make this car a killer on track..... fortunately it didn't happen on my way there.... or unfortunately...it might have happened at their workshop too.... so anyway..... I can just sit on it for now and waite, and pray..... or howl, scream, shout....don't know exactly what's best right now