Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear Uprights ! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear Uprights !

Hi all, 

I'm having a real stinker with rear uprights -  a local classic car garage broke one (don't get me started) and replacements are proving impossible .

Does anyone have any answers to this problem? has anyone looked at getting a set cast ? has anyone repaired them successfully / safely ?

As per usual, help and guidance is appreciated, cheers 

Looks like SJS has some?

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10&car=13&section=4&component=216

Lotus calls then "Hub Carriers", or sometimes "uprights"

I assume your 88 has the Renault transmission?

REAR UPRIGHT L/H (Renault transmission)
C082D4141K.jpg?mod=10

C082D4141K EACH 355.89

REAR UPRIGHT R/H (Renault transmission)

C082D4142K EACH 355.89

C082D4142K.jpg?mod=10

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I was terrified of breaking mine when I did my lower link as the lower stud was seized in. Sorry to hear it's happened to you.

The key is not to hit them, however frustrating the stuck stud is!

I don't believe they can be safely welded or repaired so I guess a replacement is the only safe way to go.

There's a good write up on lower links on LEW if you still have need of it.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Thanks for the reply guys, to shed a bit more light on the situation - after a local garage broke a lug off completely I sourced another but it turns out under expert inspection by Steve at SJS that this one has a hairline fracture in it which will only get worse with time. I hadn't spotted it, he got some compressed air on there and uncovered it , so back to square one ! 

Thanks Travis , but I have been talking to SJS as they have done the lower pins for me (and uncovered the crack in one) and therefore I know he has none in stock. 

Cars a way off finishing so not going anywhere in it in a hurry, frustrating all the same. If anyone comes up with a miracle cure I'm all ears....maybe there's a aluminium casting esprit enthusiast on here .... or maybe not......

Welding shouldn't be a problem - if you get someone who is skilled at welding aluminium.  I suspect that many broken-lug uprights have been unnecessarily discarded.

Thanks for the reply guys, to shed a bit more light on the situation - after a local garage broke a lug off completely I sourced another but it turns out under expert inspection by Steve at SJS that this one has a hairline fracture in it which will only get worse with time. I hadn't spotted it, he got some compressed air on there and uncovered it , so back to square one !

Thanks Travis , but I have been talking to SJS as they have done the lower pins for me (and uncovered the crack in one) and therefore I know he has none in stock.

Cars a way off finishing so not going anywhere in it in a hurry, frustrating all the same. If anyone comes up with a miracle cure I'm all ears....maybe there's a aluminium casting esprit enthusiast on here .... or maybe not......

Wow. Now I'm even more glad that I didn't bust one of mine... I thought at least 'worst case' the application of £400 would get me out of trouble.

Quite worrying that these are NLA. Is Steve planning to get or re manufacturer any more??

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Guest modifiedv8engines

Think I saw a pair for sale yesterday on Ebay Motors ( USA version) or on Ebay UK 

If you have the earlier Citroen tranny theres a pair for sale in the Esprit Section for an S3 - should be same as Turbo to 87/88

Thanks Ed Winter , maybe - nothing has been discarded yet so I will look into it .

Be interesting to see what others think of repairing these by welding , hairline fracture maybe but surely not a completely broken off lug ?

I will ask Steve at SJS when I speak to him next about further options and let everyone know the results, its an 88 Stephens turbo Renault transmission so pretty sure the S3 option won't work (unless I'm off the mark). But thanks anyway Paul 

Lotus has a few in the sale.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/76749-2015-lotus-aso-parts-sale/#entry593989

This one is suitable for Brembo brakes, but should work on the earlier cars

MODEL PART # DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE Offer Price inc VAT Regular price inc VAT
TURBO ESPRIT C082D4142K REAR HUB CARRIER RH 9 £107.87 £427.07 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Travis, Cheers for the tip off. Got one on order hopefully here by next week .

I'll keep the cracked one and speak to the welding man so thanks also for that Nick. 

FYI for all,  the left hand ones are now completely obsolete , and the right ones are very soon to be the same. It looks to me like the only option in the coming years will be to get new ones re-cast , something I'm getting priced up at the moment . Will keep you updated lads ! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Evening all, 

Thought I would post the conclusion to all the above :

Sent the cracked upright to Mark at Harris Bros. MK18 1QS, 01280 812316   as recommended by Nick Briggs. He's done an outstanding job and has a wealth of knowledge,  as this part is now obsolete and getting re-casts would cost thousands (I looked into it)  Mark is definitely the man to see and you cannot even tell he has worked on the hub carrier at all. 

Very very reasonably priced and highly recommended .  

Now to send all the parts to the powder coating brigade before re-fitting ! 

• Like 1