Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Canyon Red Exige V6 Cup - Page 18 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Canyon Red Exige V6 Cup

Arun_D

Oh Gary @550superfast , what an experience! Glad it was just that. I've had no such issue with my electrical cutoff, but I'll be mindful of this in the future.

Coincidentally that's the same place my tyre failure occured, just after the first right-hander you describe.

Annoyingly in the process of finding the issue, I have noticed my rear left TTX damper had been eating itself during the day, due to eccentricity between the helper spring platform and damper body. This had not occured on my previous days on track since having these fitted, but the Nordschleife it certainly a big test for suspension components. That said, having a steel platform  means the damper will be the losing part in this battle, and I'm annoyed it's happened. The UK Öhlins supplier, who I bought them from, claim they have not seen this before and suggested my car is running very low (it's set to Lotus spec at the rear), but they do seem to have plastic platforms ready for them, and from asking around it doesn't appear to be a new issue. 

IMG_20180525_180619.thumb.jpg.6d7bb286b81f7c66b62bbbf766a9d833.jpg

So off it comes to go back for repair (with the undamaged RH rear, since there seem to be improved parts that can go on) and hopefully with a quick turnaround before my day at Anglesey late June. Somehow I need to squeeze in my new brake fitment amongst all this. 

Quite a frustrating time for me and this car, I'm looking forward to clearing this hump and just enjoying it. Nex thing is I want to be sure I'm picking the right hot pressures for the new tyres to ensure I'm taking care of them, what are other Exige owners running? From reading the Evora threads, it may suggest 30psi hot (seemingly the Exige standard for Pirelli and Avons) maybe a little low for Michelins. Speak to me, wise TLFers.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Arun.

Having recently joined the Öhlins club (road use biased with report to follow if anyone’s interested), and having specifically been told which end to put the rear helpers on by Russ at MGR, your chewed damper worries me.

Was it the same side as your delaminated tyre and could the flapping rubber have knocked the damper around enough to  disturb the helper and collar and cause the prob?

Cheers,

Kieran.

5 hours ago, nerobi said:

Thanks for the link, the car looks great!

2 hours ago, KJD said:

Hi Arun.

Having recently joined the Öhlins club (road use biased with report to follow if anyone’s interested), and having specifically been told which end to put the rear helpers on by Russ at MGR, your chewed damper worries me.

Was it the same side as your delaminated tyre and could the flapping rubber have knocked the damper around enough to  disturb the helper and collar and cause the prob?

Cheers,

Kieran.

Hi Kieran, as you know the helpers are on the correct end on mine too, and MGR have seen the photo above and commented that the spring is also fitted in the correct orientation. I will let you know how I get on, but I don't think you need to worry too much with your current usage. 

Yes it is the same corner but I don't believe the two are linked, though can't say for certain. I'll keep you posted once they're with Russ.

• Like 1

I had this happen once as well ... not on track but on the road at a roundabout that I know very well and that you can take straight if you just very agressively go over the inner curb ... which I did at > 50 mph ... car died ... pulled over, shut it down completely, and tried to restart - nothing.  ... waited a couple of minutes... started again and everything was fine ... 

14 hours ago, Arun_D said:

Quite a frustrating time for me and this car, I'm looking forward to clearing this hump and just enjoying it. Nex thing is I want to be sure I'm picking the right hot pressures for the new tyres to ensure I'm taking care of them, what are other Exige owners running? From reading the Evora threads, it may suggest 30psi hot (seemingly the Exige standard for Pirelli and Avons) maybe a little low for Michelins. Speak to me, wise TLFers.

@Arun_D 30 psi hot is what I am running on them as well ... 

11 hours ago, NW76 said:

I had this happen once as well ... not on track but on the road at a roundabout that I know very well and that you can take straight if you just very agressively go over the inner curb ... which I did at > 50 mph ... car died ... pulled over, shut it down completely, and tried to restart - nothing.  ... waited a couple of minutes... started again and everything was fine ... 

I can imagine the imagine the stress created by the situation ... 

I've had a similar experience with a car cutting out before, but I couldn't have been in a worse place I think... I was in the Speedster driving along Victoria Embankment when I heard a sudden clonk sound and the engine just cut out, then there was just a little red light on the dash lit up. I didn't even know the red light exists, and it turns out it means "you're fucked".     To make matters worse, there was no way of pulling over as they'd put barriers up for a marathon the next day. Luckily I had some friends behind so we all pushed the car about 500m up the road to where we could park on the side of the road without obstructing the traffic.  Upon opening the engine lid, it was immediately obvious that I couldn't just press a switch and keep going, the fan belt had somehow managed to get under one of the wires and it had torn every wire out of the engine bay, seizing the alternator in the process.   AA recovery truck home...

Caterhams have an inertia cutout switch which occasionally needed resetting if you for example jumped the car or hit a big curb you'd need to reset it in the engine bay.    Sounds like the Lotus Cup cutout switches are a bit special.  Who'd buy a Cup anyway 🤔

2 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Sounds like the Lotus Cup cutout switches are a bit special.

Also, interestingly, not race legal, because you can turn it back on again immediately on the same button!

Dave

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

The day was fine and dry, and myself and @alias had plenty of fun, with Imran finding an appreciation for Silvertstone GP he hadn't before. We had a lot of close driving together through the day, which only reinforced my opinion that trackdays are rubbish without friends.

THIS! 100% track time with friends! Pleasure as always my friend... 

PS> Converted on Silverstone GP and can't wait to go back!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

www.alias23.com

Hey Arun, was really nice to meet you there. Was a very nice (even if a bit busy) day indeed! Thank you for sharing the information from AIM, and huge thank you for helping out with the OBD reader. :respect:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Hey Arun, was really nice to meet you there. Was a very nice (even if a bit busy) day indeed! Thank you for sharing the information from AIM, and huge thank you for helping out with the OBD reader. :respect:

Nice to meet you and Stephanie(?) too! Oh no problem, Victor, the OBD tool lives in the car now after the last couple of red herring lights it's given me.

23 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

Stephanie(?)

Exactly :)

23 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

the OBD tool lives in the car now

I'll now follow your example and have one in the car at all times as well. 🙄

On the topic of the data loggers - I've not managed to convince myself of need to step up from the combination of 10Hz GPS Bluetooth receiver and RaceChrono on my phone, it works fairly well as a most simple solution (for data analysis it can export the records and use Circuit Tools later on, in addition to the built in visualisation).

Arun, I'm sure you will enjoy the Solo2 even more as you explore more of its features.  One suggestion,  you might want to consider creating your own sectors for the track map. 

As you can see, the AiM software will auto-select sectors based upon G's and any noted bursts of acceleration.  The result, at times, is to have numerous short straight sectors (Green) on your analysis and numerous corners (Blue and Red), some of which you may prefer to link together.  

Also, use that other port on the Solo2 to hook up a SmartyCam HD ;)  You can create a template for the video showing whatever data the Solo logs on your video that you would like to see with no need to do any post-production work .... one example below showing  lap info as well as much data relating to engine performance.  Second photo illustrates a video template showing less data when using a Solo back in 2014, when a less comprehensive AiM driver was available...I believe I was using AiM's driver for an Evora.  ;)

Data on video-V6-2.png

G's 2.png

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

8 hours ago, Jack said:

Arun, I'm sure you will enjoy the Solo2 even more as you explore more of its features.  One suggestion,  you might want to consider creating your own sectors for the track map. 

As you can see, the AiM software will auto-select sectors based upon G's and any noted bursts of acceleration.  The result, at times, is to have numerous short straight sectors (Green) on your analysis and numerous corners (Blue and Red), some of which you may prefer to link together.  

Also, use that other port on the Solo2 to hook up a SmartyCam HD ;)  You can create a template for the video showing whatever data the Solo logs on your video that you would like to see with no need to do any post-production work .... one example below showing  lap info as well as much data relating to engine performance.  Second photo illustrates a video template showing less data when using a Solo back in 2014, when a less comprehensive AiM driver was available...I believe I was using AiM's driver for an Evora.  ;)

Dear Jack,

How do you get the throttle and brake inputs ? from the OBD ?

On 28/11/2018 at 23:21, Arun_D said:

@vd9 See I do listen!

If I had managed to get Harry's Laptimer GP to communicate with my GoPro, maybe I would have been happy enough with that solution, but I tried and tried and never got it to work. I've probably stated a number of times in the 18 pages of this thread that patience is not a virtue I was born with, and the Aim is a pukka piece of kit (and who doesn't love shiny new kit?!)

Thats exactly why I went for a fully integrated system as well - always had to link Harrys & GoPro manually and setup everytime I went on track. 

Now, I just arrive, make sure I have an SD Card in my Smartycam and go ... couldnt be any easier 😉

• Like 1