Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Failed LEDs in headlight - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Failed LEDs in headlight

I've enough to do, but you're welcome to put something like that together and I'll give you contact details for the right people at the factory. 

That said, the right people do read TLF quite often so I'd be pretty confident they're already aware of what we post on here. :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the units are fixed and are not deemed to be consumables, then they should reasonably be expected to last the normal lifetime of the vehicle. These days, I do not think it is unrealistic to expect a modern motor car to have a life expectancy of 10 years.

Hence my earlier question. Presumably sealed LED units are fitted because there are deemed to have a certain life expectancy over and above conventional serviceable units

If this is the case then one would expect a reasonable contribution when premature failure occurs.

If the Evora does indeed share the same problems as other marques, who use the same manufacturer for such parts, then no doubt a claims process exists between Lotus/Aston Martin and that particular supplier whereby any contributions made to customers by the motor manufacturers gets pushed back to the part manufacturer.

I've enough to do, but you're welcome to put something like that together and I'll give you contact details for the right people at the factory. 

That said, the right people do read TLF quite often so I'd be pretty confident they're already aware of what we post on here. :)

Bibs - that's a fair point, I wasn't expecting you to take on the fight. I'll try to do some research this week on the various forums and see what I can come up with. We can then see if there is a case and if so, we'll come back to you Bibs for the contact details. 

To me it sounds like the wiring harness issues - i.e. they know there is a problem but don't act until the problem surfaces - I seem to remember a few cases in the ME / US where the harnesses where accepted as being at fault but no recall, just a case by case handling.  That's all well and good, but as the cars get older the lines become blurred and this is not good for Lotus or their owners in the long term.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i had this, changed under warranty - just. I had no idea how much they cost. LEDs going all the time, the headlamp was replaced but i am about to splash out on a n/s rear and possibly fog too!

I only have the 2nd hand warranty it came with which to be honest is not really worth the paper it is written on, I think this is going to become a very common problem :(

I wonder if a hole saw could be used to gain access from underneath thus allowing access to the side light internals without disassembly of the whole headlight? It could then be covered over and sealed once finished.

Gav 

• Like 1

Hopefully someone can come up with a solution, anything has got to be better than £1k + another £1k if you want both headlights to match!

Plus you would probably end up in the same position in another 2-3 years :(

Please do a forum search, I just have phone at airport so can't.

There is a tgread on here where a company will replace the LEDs and info re the ballast etc. It can be done but you may have to dismantle the headlamp but a huge saving over 2 new headlights.

I personally think Lotus need to work out some sort of low cost exchange deal with the OEM supplier as the current situation is clearly not acceptable.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yeah I have seen that, there is a company that will repair the board but you must remove the headlight from the car and strip the unit yourself. The post links to another message board, I dont think any Evora owners have actually tried it.

Bollocks! Bottom half of drivers side, side light out! So will probably be able to answer my own question about the hole saw! That said I will check with the after market warranty people first. How does the head light come out? 

Gav 

I've been having a look at pictures on line and I think there is room to use a hole saw to get access from behind. At least then we have a chance of fixing the led's. It could then be covered with a flat piece of plastic and sealed, possibly with some silica gel or cat stuff and stockings for those such inclined (Bibs!).

Gav

• Like 1

Ive not got an issue having a go other than checking my warranty company first. If they will replace it then I may try and keep the old one, or if they wont replace it then then I will get the hole saw out. Its only a plastic box after all...........famous last words!

Gav

Depending who your warranty is with, AutoProtect don't cover lights.

Lotus treat them as "wear and tear" after the oem warranty expires. Yet they aren't user sevicable in reality.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I've just emailed Jamie @ B&C to ask, but will dig out the paper work later. If they don't then I've got a free-ish weekend this weekend and hole saws in my tool box so may give it a go. Although you don't notice the 'lotus' bit in the indicator it would irritate me to not have them matching. If I do it I may drill a piot hole and endoscope it first so I don't hit the adjuster mech inside......then cut a wacking big hole in it! Lol.

Gav 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2015 at 19:00, Bibs said:

I wonder if someone talented with a soldering iron (eg tv repairman) could fix it?

I dont know why but this reminded me of monty pythons 'Bicycle Repair Man!', ok I will go.........

Well the after market warranty people class it as a 'lamp' obviously, so not covered. Expected as much but wanted confirmation. Hole saw it is then, I will update the thread as  I go along but probably wont have chance till weekend unless I get really bored. 

Gav

Well my dads favorite saying always was, "what would you do if you were trapped in a submarine at the bottom of the ocean!", god it used to irritate me, but he had a point. Not that you would find an Evora down there. Anyone want to guess what this is.......

DSC_0162[1].JPG

• Like 1

Well I'm guessing it's the LED circuit board for the sidelight :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

Damn that was too easy :P

When I checked mine they were all on but a couple of bangs on the headlights and the four bottom ones flickered and went off, hopefully its just a dry joint or one of the resistors failing.

In for a penny......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139125708@N03/shares/72v9D8

Never was any good at posting photos, the first one only worked as I did it directly. Anyway, got my hole saw out to find it wouldnt fit in my cordless, so turned it by hand and drilled round it. I prized the metal clips of with a fine knife and hey presto, out it popped!

Gav

I can never find my bl00dy soldering iron when I need it!

10 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Well I'm guessing it's the LED circuit board for the sidelight :lol:

Was that because the lettering says LED1, LED2, LED3.................   ;)

Oh my god, Gavin - you took a knife and a circular saw drill bit thingy to your car!  Arrrggghhhhh - nightmare time. I don't even go near mine with an allen key in fear of breaking something essential and extremely expensive!

Anyone know who the OEM is for these lights as feel a stiff shitty letter coming on how they need to build in some access panels etc.....

Also, serious question, given these lights are plastic moulded units anyone know how or why they are a grand a pop?  I mean........

The small print.

No, because I recognised the LED pattern with the extra at 12o'clock :lol:

• Like 1