Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Failed LEDs in headlight - Page 8 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Failed LEDs in headlight

Got a reply back from Matthew by email.   They are still collecting orders but they are very close.    

They also have a method to replace the wheel without opening the headlight.

I will pull the trigger once I make sure I  can replace the wheel myself.

For you guys in the UK it would be a no brainer to just have them do it.  Any straddlers, now is the time to jump on board.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed the leds on my 2010 headlights are all a ok.

However I'm grateful Matthew has taken this on as i am sure that will change in the future.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 10 months later...

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread. Does anyone know if the possible fix from either Matthew or Cocopops managed to sort this?

I've been having intermittent side light LED issues on the passenger side since owning my '11 S.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have the solution but it requires me to pre-order 20 sets of the LED rings - I have been compiling a list of names who would want them and was waiting to get 10 confirmed orders - this is taking longer than I had thought....

• Like 2

www.lotussilverstone.co.uk

Hello Matthew! Thanks for the update.  How many more do you need to pre-sell?  I'm in for a set.  Have you chatted with Greg at Greg's Race Parts?  https://www.gregsraceparts.com  Perhaps he would be interested in carrying them in his shop.  He tried to help me fix mine but couldn't come up with a solution.  There is a market here in the USA.  How do I get on the resale list?  How much for a set?  Thanks!Hello Matthew! Thanks for the update.  How many more do you need to pre-sell?  I'm in for a set.  Have you chatted with Greg at Greg's Race Parts?  https://www.gregsraceparts.com  Perhaps he would be interested in carrying them in his shop.  He tried to help me fix mine but couldn't come up with a solution.  There is a market here in the USA.  How do I get on the resale list?  How much for a set?  Thanks!

Hey Matt

I'd be up for possibly up for a couple of sets if it gets it started mate, maybe more price dependant

Junks :)

On 21/09/2015 at 12:15, CocoPops said:

Well I had a reply from Lotus Customer Services....

So, not only is the "fix" a thousand pounds of fix, it appears that new lights don't match the old lights as they won't have the Lotus branding.

Genius!

If its unbranded - then you could try haggling!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem, also the leds are not set to full brightness.

I replaced all the LED’s in the ring and set them to full brightness. But I noticed that the backplate became 95C. Therefore I attached a active cooling, now the leds are on full brightness and they stay 35C now. 

F8EACA0E-525E-46CF-87B7-7E8B40D49F6A.jpeg

284581FC-4C3A-4CDA-9462-F9B441DAB02A.jpeg

EB5192B0-2FA6-4BF0-9F5F-9860A7AFECC2.jpeg

• Like 1

I believe Essex can now change the LEDs on Exige and Evora check their facebook posts.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The small print.

• Gold FFM
On 03/03/2019 at 20:04, martvanderkooi said:

I had the same problem, also the leds are not set to full brightness.

I replaced all the LED’s in the ring and set them to full brightness. But I noticed that the backplate became 95C. Therefore I attached a active cooling, now the leds are on full brightness and they stay 35C now. 

Most “runnning lights” go dimmer when the lights are turned on. That’s because at night the LEDs are too bright to oncoming drivers, like main beam. Maybe that’s why they are set slightly dimmer, to comply with regulations. 

• Gold FFM

I am a big fan of Lotus, with four cars at the moment but this LED problem really should be solved by the factory not the owners. The cars don't need an MOT until after 3 years, then they will fail the MOT if more than half the LEDs are not working. So the car is judged unsafe and unusable and the only factory help is to buy a new headlight unit. This is ridiculous, given the widespread occurrence of this safety issue.  The construction of the LED unit is simply not fit for purpose, it is considered a safety item and should be part of a recall. After all, it's not as if thousands of Evoras were sold. I am in the market for a new Evora but I don't want to spend £100,000 on a car whose headlights will need replacing just as the warranty expires! 

• Like 2

@Gazm the headlights are not made by the "factory", they are bought in as complete units. The company who makes them does/did supply the likes of Aston too. They are not cheap but if that headlight manufacturing company was my company then I'd be seriously ashamed by the quality of my product. Aston customers suffered similar issues I believe so don't go out rushing to buy an Aston to get over the issue. 🤣😂

The small print.

• Gold FFM
18 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

@Gazm the headlights are not made by the "factory", they are bought in as complete units. The company who makes them does/did supply the likes of Aston too. They are not cheap but if that headlight manufacturing company was my company then I'd be seriously ashamed by the quality of my product. Aston customers suffered similar issues I believe so don't go out rushing to buy an Aston to get over the issue. 🤣😂

Hi Andy, I realise the background and history of the issue, it doesn't really matter who makes a component Lotus are still responsible for it. If it was just a cosmetic issue I wouldn't be bothered but as part of the MOT it is regarded as a safety item. If a braking or steering issue developed after 3 years I'm sure it would be treated more seriously. As far as Aston are concerned, I think they may have stolen Lotus' thunder with their latest mid engine release. It looks very Lotus-like and sits right in the category that the next "Esprit" will try to occupy (a bit off topic, oops)

• Like 1