Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 Roadster - Page 6 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 Roadster

Bravo73

Bloody hell. I thought the Evora roof was not a stressed part so why is it so hard to take it off and replace with two targa panels (remember, I am as literate with a screwdriver as a squashed frog is with Shaespeare). Does this mean they arte maybe looking at a more complicated "mechanism" enabled roof? I hope not. Something about the simplicity of the targa panels appealed - or targa panels with cloth one for short term use. And after seeing the clear roof on the Exige - really, come on Lotus, get it out there.....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

@C8RKH I get the impression that the engineering side of things is probably relatively easy, but I would maybe make an educated guess they're deliberately waiting until they've started shipping to the USA, and in good numbers. We've just had the 410 released, so it would be understandable if they didn't want to saturate the market with new models. Baby steps and all that.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

there will be a fair amount of type approval I would guess. I would image for such a structural change it will be start again on the crash testing. 

regards

Christian

Why - the roof is a flimsy piece of composite that has no structural role in the car?  So why would they need to to do that testing all over again.

My, we are an inpatient lot on here. When will see the Evora 450 challenge super trofeo stradale cup?

I suppose we'll have to have the Evora 450 QuattroPosti as well for the bloody kids brogade....

Although, personally, I think the Evora 450 Senza Due (pronounced as "Sen-za Doo-eh" just sounds so exotic and so right....

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I did type out a long explanation then realized probably not best to give away so much IP. 

Suffice to say devil is in the detail when it comes to engineering, probably why we are such a pedantic lot!

I think it would tempt a lot over existing Evora owners out of their series 1 cars.

C43

2 hours ago, C43 said:

I did type out a long explanation then realized probably not best to give away so much IP. 

You can tell us, we'll promise to keep it quiet. Scouts honour! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Doubt it, the buggers would all start whinging it only had 2 seats and nowhere to store the nappy change mat, johnsons baby oil and ear wax cotton buds. Meh! Think that secretly they've got some sort of weird fetish thing going on and its nothing to do with transporting kids at all... ;)

#secretsout

• Like 1

The small print.

I suspect that financing may also be part of the issue.

The 400 will be an important model for Lotus which needs to sell in decent numbers hence the much needed push into the U.S.

Initial slow UK sales probably have not helped

• Gold FFM

If memory serves type approval is a strange thing. I recall the story of Lamborghini not being allowed to sell the Countach with a wing, but they were allowed to sell you a normal one, put a wing on the passenger seat, drive across the road from the factory and install it in a car park.

Unfortunately I imagine making a roadster is a little bit more involved than taking a dremel to the roof. The Evora is Lotus' most upmarket car so I imagine they want to be very careful with the NVH on the roadster, could take a while to tweak it - much longer than the basic engineering presumably.

All total speculation on my part.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Simple cloth top with manual latches is all that's need...  Perhaps the roll bar part is hold out?  Any ideas what they have planned for that?

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

You can tell us, we'll promise to keep it quiet. Scouts honour! 

thanks mate, that makes me feel much better....

• Like 1

the other comments made here that will have some truth is cash, its very difficult to do much engineering without money..

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

My, we are an inpatient lot on here. When will see the Evora 450 challenge super trofeo stradale cup?

I suppose we'll have to have the Evora 450 QuattroPosti as well for the bloody kids brogade....

Although, personally, I think the Evora 450 Senza Due (pronounced as "Sen-za Doo-eh" just sounds so exotic and so right....

Have I missed something - are Lotus starting to make coffee machines?

Is there any credence to this report, about the US not getting the Evora 400 with a supercharger (which then would not be a 400 presumably):  http://www.automobilemag.com/news/report-lotus-evora-may-return-u-s-without-supercharger/ ?

Things are looking pretty glum here in the US for the Evora 400.

1 hour ago, BWex said:

Is there any credence to this report, about the US not getting the Evora 400 with a supercharger (which then would not be a 400 presumably):  http://www.automobilemag.com/news/report-lotus-evora-may-return-u-s-without-supercharger/ ?

Things are looking pretty glum here in the US for the Evora 400.

Yes:

But it's got nothing to do with the Roadster. ;)

So to be clear you will get the 400 first, then you will get a version too without the sc as you have crazy emmissions rules in the US.

This is not Lotus's idea, it is their response to what US athorities are imposing - or, have I missed the point?

The small print.

In the report it talks about smart airbags being added for the american market etc. Sounds trivial I know but I remember being staggered when I was told how many engineers Jaguar have working on airbags and crash protection alone.

C43

• 1 month later...

I bump up this old topic just to tell that I keep getting asked if the roof can be removed from my car ("black pack" can be misleading to it being a targa-roof) and when I say "no", they all look disappointed. Another clue that a roadster version of the 400 would be a great success!

The car is a big head-turner, especially in a bright colour so for people who like being looked at the roadster will be perfect! As for myself I prefer understatment so I regret a bit the stealthness of the Carbon Gray S1 and today I've been even considering for 5 seconds wrapping the car matte black: then I stopped at the gas station, took a look at it and went... Naaaahhhh! ;)

Edited by NeedForSpeed

I'm still waiting. I loved the Evora 400 but would really like a roadster and its a one off purchase for me. I so nearly bought a 400, but am waiting until we know about the roadster. PM's with info welcome from anyone in the know ;-)). In the meantime I am enjoying a caterham 7... I will be back ..

• Like 1

I suspect that you're not alone in waiting for the Evora roadster; if I had the readies, as much as I love the Evora 400, I'd be waiting for the roadster, too!

I agree. A lot of my S1 buddies looking to sell up for a 400. Me. I'd prefer a +0 roadster 410 so will wait.

The small print.