Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
VW T4/5 Vans - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

VW T4/5 Vans

Each to their own and all that, but in the last 2 years this fad for customising modern VW vans seems to have come from nowhere to taking over the motoring world, at least it seems to around these here parts. Are there any VW vans still delivering potatoes and stuff? It seems like have they all been slammed on Porsche rims and fitted with LEDs now. And the DVLA have run out of T4 and T5 prefix number plates apparently.

I sort of understood the vibe for old 60s and 70s campers, in that classic nostalgia way, but seriously where is the driving enjoyment in a modern van? Or is it that people will drive a dog turd if it has a VW badge on it? (to paraphrase Basil Fawlty)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRMI8U4u9QsqkyYRKyMPm

Daft thing is they spend fortunes trying to look different but end up all looking the same.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think it is following an Asian fad where well heeled gents would have a tricked out van (I think they called them Star vans in Korea). They would not, of course, drive it themselves. They would have drivers to take them and a few friends or business colleagues out drinking.

:sofa: mine does at least get used for work though 

IMAG0099.thumb.jpg.55acdda15a9e7d171e35d

I've customised every van I've ever had whatever the make! 

It's my office/ workstation 5 days a week, based on the sheer amount of time i spend in it, I like it to look/ drive/ perform the best it can 

• Like 1

Our T2 recently did a nice job of hauling 4'X 8' drywall panels, but is normally garage bound between camping outings. (slow, but sure and we still get thumbs up vs frowns)   :lol:      Pollution, what's that? ( too old to be tested) :P

cv1.JPG

IMAG0099.thumb.jpg.55acdda15a9e7d171e35d

See I can understand that, if I used a van daily I'd try and make it as nice as possible without being a target. I suppose Buddsy is right, not everyone gets their rocks off on "driving" but what you do when you get there.

Having experienced the inexplicably high cost of hotels on the South coast this year maybe I should join in.....

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Having experienced the inexplicably high cost of hotels on the South coast this year maybe I should join in.....

I see a number of camper vans for hire places in the UK. (from old nostalgia to new ones). Sometime for something different book a camper van vacation and if you get hooked you can then look for one. If it didn't turn out to be your thing you can walk away with nothing much invested.

There are some in Asia that do taxi duty during the day. We got one for an airport run in Korea. It had sparkly lights in the roof and what looked like a stripper pole in the middle. The strippers would, of course, have to be midgets.

Now you see. Not being a badge snob I prefer the look of the Renault.

In terms of Driving enjoyment, we regularly take a T5 minibus to Europe and I have to say....by god it goes! The amount of torques it generates is...well...Torquey!! I quiet enjoyed driving it.

I suppose this goes all the way back to the 70's and 80's and Custom American Vans.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Now THAT is a van!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I have just spent about 4 years building my T4 from a bog standard long wheel base I purchased in Belgium into a bespoke camper which will be touring Europe next year. Long term project but I wanted her to be the best I could get and for the money I have spent she is brilliant, not fast on a standard 2.4 diesel but she will plug away all day. She is a 96 van with on;y 56,000 kilometers on the clock and NO rust. I have just had her painted and the interior is looking stunning in Kevlar Black and Grey. It took me two days just to get the decals correctly positioned on the sides. I might add some pics later if I can find them.

• Like 1