Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brembo pad question - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brembo pad question

Hello all,

I have OEM Brembo pads and Brembo calipers on my '99 Esprit V8 (US).   When I press on the brake pedal, there is a loud "click".   My tech said this is from the front pad being 'too small' and sliding slightly in place as it clicks in place when being applied.    I had another 99 Esprit V8 before this one, and that never happened.   Has anyone else heard of this issue?       

Cheers

image.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I have heard of that before. Might be something you can check by measuring without too much trouble, I would think?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks Michael.   If it really is an issue, I guess I am wondering why the Brembo pads don't fit correctly into the Brembo calipers?   And if anyone has a solution?  

Cheers

• Gold FFM

Where are the calipers on your car? Front of the disc or the rear of the disc? Do you get the click on both fronts or all four discs?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

The calipers are located at the rear of the disc on the front wheels.  You can see them in the photo above.  The click is only on the fronts I believe, from what my tech said.    

Cheers

• Gold FFM

Sorry. Didn't look at the photo. Makes sense. Under braking the pads move upwards with the wheel rotation. Take your foot off and they fall back down the caliper from bumps etc, and then click on the next brake press. I would say you don't get it in reverse at all?

I must admit, I don't know what you can do to stop it other than different pads. I'm to fully aware of the caliper setup, but I presume all pad locating pins etc are there?

I'm not sure if it is possible to move the calipers or not.  I am just wondering why I didn't hear the click on my other 99 Esprit V8 that I had before this one.    Any other ideas for pads that fit correctly in the Brembo calipers? 

Hi Matt,

whip the pads out and measure their overall length vs. the recess length of the calipers.

You'll probably find that the difference is very small ( <.5mm) in which case I'd live with the clicking...much better to have slightly free-er pads than ones that don't release properly. I've had bikes react like this in the past with no detrimental effect on the call pers, usually changes back with the next set...

have you spoken to Brembo?

ATB, Dave

On 07/11/2015, 19:57:42, HowardRoark said:

Any other ideas for pads that fit correctly in the Brembo calipers? 

I've read a lot of threads on here about pads for Brembo calipers. The consensus seems to be that the best are Ferodo DS2500:

" Fronts are FCP1348H (H denotes the compound as being DS2500). Rears are FCP1560H."

I'm not sure that it will help if there is something awry with your calipers (perhaps someone has bodged them in the past for slightly oversized pads?) As Dave says, measure the pads and the recesses and then have a word with Brembo.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

There are springs/slides/pins that are replaceable, they help guide the pad as it moves and wears, and they take up the clearance between pad and caliper. 

These slides and any other sliding contact between pad and caliper should be cleaned each time the pads are changed/removed/or begin to make this noise.  The springs/slides can be bent a bit to meet the new pad, or you can replace them.

I also use a little brake parts lube on these surfaces.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Guest modifiedv8engines

As the other contributors have suggested the clicking noise probably relates to the pads moving in the calipers as they should be free to move with some clearence up and down to prevent sticking/seizing.

If you are not confident checking this out (removing pads, measuring and re-installing) then recommend you entrust this inspection to another vehicle tech who can check the caliper bolts, wheel security, front wishbones, lower links, ball joints and roll bar.

Probably nothing to be too concerned about but a few quid or dollars spent may well save you if somethings wrong or has cracked and is likley to break. If the tech is sure its just pads then ask him to take the car to V max and report back to you. 

Have heard of a few Esprits that suffered broken front lower links but only a few ... 

• 7 years later...

Does anyone know if the Ferodo DS2500 FCP1348H pads still available for our cars ? There seem to be different versions of that part number.  Demon Tweeks lists the ebc Green Stuff pads for the V8 but they say the DS2500 FCP1348H don't fit??