Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Battery trickle chargers - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Battery trickle chargers

fmxa

Anyone got a recommendation on a battery trickle charger (brand etc)? I hear there's good and bad brands.

Paul

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got three different makes. The best is the Optimate III (just a later model of the original Optimate shown on LEW). This is really good, can recover really flat batteries, and has good feedback via LEDs etc as to what is going on.

The very similar Accumate maybe OK, but I think that mine runs the charge a little high and I've blamed it (unfairly or not) for premature failure of at least one of the batteries in its care - I only use it for short term charging now not long term connection.

The last is the Airflow charger. Smaller and neater than the others and very good at keeping a good battery charged. Its not really powerful enough to recharge a flat(ish) battery or keep a charge if there's much of a drain from Alarms etc. or if the battery isnt in tip top condition

I've now got two optimate IIIs - normally used on the Esprit and the bike - and they certainly work well for me.

Rgds

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Not big on those chargers myself, prefer the "disconnect" mod on the battery when car in garage.

I agree with that in principle but the cars with ECUs have to re-learn their adaptive values every time the battery is disconnected as well as the 're-tune the radio and re-set the one touch windows' faffin about!

I remember when all this was fields.... :lol:

My car stays in garage on winter time about 6months. So it's important to charge it couple of times. Last autumn I bought Ctek's charger, it's excellent no worry to leave it on for many days. It doesn't "overcharge" battery :D

xs3600.jpg

Many people here use these all the time on winter in their car. It's important to have full charged battery when you are trying to start the car in -20celsius :huh:

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

I use this Harbor Freight one...will not overcharge:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Cate...&pricetype=

No need to overpay for something that will get the job done just fine.

Every time I start the car it starts like it has a brand new battery in it.

• Gold FFM
Pretty much :lol:

Imagine this and -25celsius and the Esprit :P:D:D

winter5.jpg

Not seen an Esprit fitted with snow chains yet, but a pic would be good :P:P

I always keep a 'jump start' pack in the Esprit boot for the odd occasion it needs it. Started mine for the first time in 6 weeks yesterday - started at first turn of key. Jump Start pack is charged about once a year and seems to hold its charge for a long time. if Esprit has not been driven for two-three months, might need connecting, then start first time. I find this alot less hassle than disconecting then reconnecting.

Did use trickle charger on bike last winter - Optimate III

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Paul, I must admit I have one of those cheap $10 Harbourfreight type ones I got from Princess Auto up here in Canada, and it works just as well as my mates Genuine BMW parts one ($350) he has hooked to his M5 ATM.

Anyway, they are both made in China! :lol:

Schumacher sell 2 types at Wal-Mart ($35 and $44) as well If you want to spend more money! :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I use the Schumacher battery tender. Very convenient and easy to install. Just plug and unplug as needed.Everything is on board and fixed in place. No + and - clips to remove from battery posts. Canada is similar to Finland for freezing temperature and snowfalls !!! No Lotus driving for many months a year...

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-1-12S-...mp;s=automotive

Edited by Bernie

Paul/Wayne,

Funny, I was at Harbor Freight looking for this one last weekend, but alas they didn't have any. I'll keep an eye out over the next few days, price is right especially as I need a new set of tires!

Paul/Wayne,

Funny, I was at Harbor Freight looking for this one last weekend, but alas they didn't have any. I'll keep an eye out over the next few days, price is right especially as I need a new set of tires!

I have a Black and Decker tender I got from Walmart for $17.88, has a 1amp and 2 amp output and switches off when charged! Works great, got one on my RX7 also, started er up last weekend before the ice hit, hadn't been started for almost 2 months and fired right up!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Went with CTEK - reviewed very well in Autoexpress - on offer at Stoneleigh last year too.

The CTEK is awsome ! I use it all the time. HINT : when Battery shows an error due to full discharge, go to supply mode for a few and then switch to full load at 14.4 V. Works for me !

Thumbs up on CTEK. B)

Olaf

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Optimate III is my suggestion.

Came with the Carcoon and charges the battery as well as inflates the carcoon.

Small connector permanently attached to the battery so i just plug it in each time the car goes back into the garage.

The car had a new battery fitted 4/5 years ago when I purchased the car and touch wood , so far had no problems. Stops the alarm system on the car draining the battery as well. :lol:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Paul/Wayne,

Paul,

Or you could always go to your local motorcycle shop and pick up a Battery Tender (not the Junior). That's what I did. Battery's been perfect. Use it on my bike and my Lotus.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Just picked on up from my local HF for $6.99!

Battery Minder - it is expensive ($50 US), but it prevents sulphation through ultrasonic pulses once the battery is charged. A battery can last many years with one of these.

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

Ctek for me, no problems with it at all

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Hey thanks for the good tip about Harbor Freight Paul. I just ordered two of them off of their site.

And Jussi, Beautiful photograph! Looks alot like the rockies in the northwestern United States this time of year. Would love to visit Finland someday.

I think you almost need a snow cat! Not a job for the Lotus . . . . but a couple acre parking lot of the white stuff and the Esprit could be a lot of fun drifting! :D

Ed