Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT3 Seat lotus only? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GT3 Seat lotus only?

Are the GT3 bucket seats a lotus only item? or are they from someone like Recaro? Can they be found any another vehicle? For example I have read that the AM Vanquish Seats are Recaro and can be found in a renault.

Thanks as always

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were a Lotus home brew, just a moulding and some fittings which can be made to order. I got a quote once and left it at that....

I think PUK in Germany and maybe SJ over here took a mould and can produce the trimmed shell, not sure about the runners

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

ok. thanks for the reply. Thought it might be a generic shell

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

It's a long time ago now but recall that Kato from LEW fitted some GT3 buckets off Ebay. I don't think the aftermarket runners he used first were very good and he went back to the genuine items. You could physically see the difference in quality in the photographs.

If you do fit anything keep us updated. I'd love to know if the new Recaros from the Evora fit, especially as the factory seem to sell off perfectly good used items occasionally. Similarly Sparco or Recaro buckets.

ohhh they are nice

Amateurs built the Ark

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve? Lightness? If so then the Evora seats are not for you. The GT3 seats that Kato fitted, were in fact S300 as far as I can remember. The shells were from SJ Sportscars and I think he had them trimmed at Lotus or locally.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/Sport300_Seat_install.html

As for Evora seats, I can vouch that they are very comfortable is that's what you are looking for and they look great too!

I'm looking for the same solution for my GT3. So far I found:

- SJ Sportscars is offering shell only of the Sport 300. Which is different from the GT3. (Sport 300 is for 4 point harness, see the holes in the top)

- GT3 seats seem to be from Recaro regarding the reference as listed for the orange set some years ago. (Not sure if this is correct)

Now I'm looking for some solutions as I can't find some originals:
A) Install some alternative Recaro's or Momo, or find the original OES part

B) Find an original seat and remake the seat. (If somebody has one te lend for a mold, I'm more than happy to make a small series "in carbon epoxy" )

C) Use the SJ Sportcars seat. -> No option, I don't like to 4 point harness holes in the top, and easier to find a original Recro replacement if we go non original anyhow

D) Keep the V8 seats -> No option, no support in cornering whatsoever

Any help or thoughts appreciated

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

• Gold FFM

S300 seats whilst again looking good are not the widest and exceptionally 'hugging' on the hips from memory.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

8 hours ago, plumdeplakmuis said:

D) Keep the V8 seats -> No option, no support in cornering whatsoever

Any help or thoughts appreciated

The Gt3 seats are great looking but if you are doing longer mileages I would see If you can do a long run in the GT3 seats.  I had the GT3 seats in my car when I got it and switched to V8 comfort seats as I just couldn't get comfortable  with the GT3 ones. It might just be the fixed back , I don't know but would recommend you try first.

I agree re the cornering support in the V8 seat but I tend to use the esprit as a gt car

I find the SE seats way too comfortable, and with not much, but a Little support.

I find the V8 comfort seats way too soft, too wide and absolutely non-supporting.

As I heard it, there are a few sized in Width on these seats.

I find the Sport300 (genuine) seats comfortable and fine, really supporting all the time in all situations.

You save 10 kilo on a set in complete leather and genuine brackets. Don't know about copies.

Yes, they are surely slimmer and holds your hips tight, but Again, it depends on your personal size and clothing. I have not yet found them to raise any pain or lack of comfort. My wife says the same. Yes, if one is overweight or just have a huge skeleton, they are not for you, but I'd say they are well enough comfortable.

If one wanted, one could insert an inflatable cushion behind the backrest leather. I did that on my original Corrado Recaro seats, together with bigger Recaro bolsters for added sidesupport.

I clad mine in magnolia leather to blend in with the rest of the interrior on my 1990 SE.

Jacques.

Esprit0139.JPG

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 10 months later...

I have had this same dilemma, I have now opted for the seats from a mk1 elise with the inflatable back support. Very similar to the GT3 seats minus that side pinching issue.

Will be installed very soon, I have put them onto the original runners but because the seats are so much smaller than the originals there is now a huge gap behind the seats. I am going to have to drill 4 new holes and move them back further. They also have the fibreglass backs so I am spraying them same colour as the car.

i may be wrong on this, but i think that the elise seats came in two versions. normail and one with better side su

pport.

note that the elise seats are not very long - less support under the legs.

sj still do copies. 

kind regards,

ja.cques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

On 14/10/2016 at 22:16, Jacques said:

i may be wrong on this, but i think that the elise seats came in two versions. normail and one with better side su

pport.

note that the elise seats are not very long - less support under the legs.

sj still do copies. 

kind regards,

ja.cques.

Hi Jacques,

yes the elise seats are alot smaller but far more comfortable. For me the added bonus is the extra foot of leg room. They are also really easy to get onto the original runners and are exactly the same width as the originals.

On 21/10/2016 at 05:08, plumdeplakmuis said:

Any pictures available of Elise seat in a Esprit?

there will be in a couple of weeks .... I have seen pics of them in the older G cars and I know of a couple in later Esprits. I will post some when I finish the project.

5 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Its been done, it doesn't look right to be honest Elise seats look lost in an Esprit.

Not when the driver is 6'5 and 110 kilos. I am fed up of having to twist my leg to the side in order to change gear and having to always have the sunroof open so I don't bang my head on every bump.

everyone has a different perspective. I need more room as I currently avoid driving it because its uncomfortable,

Have you tried the ghetto fix of bolting straight through the floor? OK if no-one but you drives it and it doesn't need adjusting.

Even removing the cushion pad under the seat helps a wee bit (I'm 110 kilos, just not 6'5'' unfortunately!)

"Race" style units look fine, just that specific Elise look of zero bolsters and short sqaub makes it obvious they don't belong.

Elise seats in my 89SE and a friend's Guigiaro Turbo.

I'm 6'2" with long legs and a short torso.  With the Elise seats, I definitely have more leg room, no longer touching the steering wheel and central tunnel with knee.  Also I have enough room to wear a large Bell M3 helmet without touching the headliner.

https://goo.gl/photos/887iVJDead5a6do89

3dXoKBX6wSpEIZwk9tjVJpa229XCR2kPeQ7IXRIU

t_DOpf5iazjxaJbcDelxLbBch3If2-9ttxZJbQxX

OyFjlWh_7AvEGwyFXHbdSz4OeMR6dJ7kNXMaMKyS

zEShy_s4fQRaI87GBuUCFpvdtmeBlruAIgrGDdu2

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I think they look absolutely fine, and when i sell the car it will come with both sets of seats.

Travis did you make new runners or mount on the old ones? I have currently mounted on old ones but still need new holes to mount them further back.

just seen the old holes so answered my own question. I am putting new carpets in at the same time so I will at least cover that up.

ta

James

@james280779

I use the sliding Elise rails (driver's side) on both seats.  So the seat is actually against the floor. With new holes.

I also switched to Elise belt receptacles, since the Esprit versions would have extended their steel cable over my hips.

Pwyx75bsPUfTUVgWd6kbkSb4u4X69Xacpb5-Fta8

F2NnF1s7CSnTCDlkHZ256yKzCaZK0ZJD2NgaPI3L

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE