Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fitting TPMS valves... - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Fitting TPMS valves...

I did a quick search but didn't spot the answer - is there a guide to correctly fitting the TPMS valves?

I watched a YouTube video and it looked like there was only one way they'd go on, but what is the correct torque setting?

Ta.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just gave them to my tyre fitter & he looked the torque setting up on his system. IIRC he said 8nm (I'm sure someone will correct this if wrong) but on the forged wheels bought through the Motorsport Auctions site we needed to go a little higher to get them to seal properly.

2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

There's a section in the Maintenance manual that covers fitting the TPMS valves. 

Is that something I should already have or need to buy or can legitimately download ?

I just trial fitted one valve - there is just one obvious way to fit them, and as the sender can't rotate, it looks like you could adjust the torque once it's fitted and the tyre's inflated. There is a rubber O-ring that seals against the inside of the rim - the torque is just compressing that. If I get time in the  morning before I go to the tyre fitters, I'll take a pic.

37 minutes ago, Gravel said:

Is that something I should already have or need to buy or can legitimately download ?

You can download all of the servicing documentation (ie maintenance manuals, recalls, parts catalogue etc) relating to your Lotus here: http://vsic.lotuscars.com

It's not free but an hour's subscription is only £13. If you're really, really stuck, I can forward you the relevant pdf by email. 

• Like 1

I bought a set of the Motorsport forged alloys so need a second set of TPMS. The originals are nearly 5 years old anyway so expect them to start going soon. 5 years is the service life IIRC.

I have been looking at the old posts and the suppliers don't seem to be stocking at the moment. Where have you guys sourced the TPMS or did you just obtain from Lotus. Ta

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

10 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

You can download all of the servicing documentation (ie maintenance manuals, recalls, parts catalogue etc) relating to your Lotus here: http://vsic.lotuscars.com

It's not free but an hour's subscription is only £13. If you're really, really stuck, I can forward you the relevant pdf by email. 

Subscribed for an hour and downloaded the lot - not sure how secure that site is though!

What's worse though is that now I know how to take the car apart, my spanners are calling to me :D

On 05/12/2015 at 08:56, Colin P said:

I bought a set of the Motorsport forged alloys so need a second set of TPMS. The originals are nearly 5 years old anyway so expect them to start going soon. 5 years is the service life IIRC.

I have been looking at the old posts and the suppliers don't seem to be stocking at the moment. Where have you guys sourced the TPMS or did you just obtain from Lotus. Ta

These ones are in stock but slightly more expensive than from Lotus dealer I think. Price has gone up since I ordered some.

http://valveandbalance.com/tpms-sensors/930-tpms-sensor-schrader-65717-67.html

17 minutes ago, 100th_Idiot said:

These ones are in stock but slightly more expensive than from Lotus dealer I think.

50% more expensive than via Lotus if you get the 10% discount:ermm:

• Like 1

well, yes... He has shipped to Italy without any comment

just consider a couple of weeks to receive them

By the way, I also ordered 4 of these: A121G6001F (nut, conical seal, TPMS transmitter)

I believe they are needed for mounting the sensors

You have to drive a few miles with them before they pick up.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I seem to recall it took about 20 miles for mine to register correctly. They came on the display after about 10 miles but we're not in their correct positions, everything was ok after circa 20 miles.

Now they sync very quickly

• Like 1

Cheers Paul - I'll take it for a longer run, once I've got the bloody boot unstuck!

EDIT - Boot unstuck now - it was the damn tyre inflater that was caught in the latch! I'll go for a longer drive!

Well, I have 3 non-zero readings that look about right - one is stuck on 00 which has caused the tyre pressure warning light to come on. I've done ~25 odd miles now - I hope the last one is just a little shy and will start communicating in a few more miles.

I did have a faulty valve that one wouldn't seal on the wheel (turned out to be mis-shaped) so I had to put a normal valve in temporarily. The 3 others registered on the display but were not in the correct positions (2 fronts showing but knew 1 was a rear since the non TPMS valves wheel was on the front). If yours look to be in the correct positions on the display then the zero reading one hopefully will sync the next time out.

Fingers crossed :ermm:

Hmm well I've done another 30 miles odd and I still only have 3 nonzero readings. I'm not even convinced that they're on the correct wheels - I can't believe my front left is at higher pressure than my rear right!

The other odd thing is that it reports the tyre pressure on startup  - I guess this is a safety thing as I don't see how the sensors can be transmitting at startup.

Is the error OBD clearable?