Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Komotec 460 and 500 hp kits on the way!!! - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Komotec 460 and 500 hp kits on the way!!!

When speaking to the chaos at hanger 111 today they said a 460hp bolt on kit will be available in Jan.... 460hp.... Holy crap!!!! The 430hp kit puts the car in to super car performance figures so another 30hp is mental! 

Then they said there will be a 500hp engine rebuild option ? Lost for words. 500hp on this car would be insane!

I am not exactly finding the car lacking in the performance department but I can definitely see me doing the 460 kit in a few years. Incredible and another reason I bought the evora was the tunability of the thing. Just wow. Think lotus may have another lifer here. 

Stu

I've spoken with Daniel (Komo-tec) at the Motorshow here in Luxembourg a few weeks ago. The 500 hp kit will require an engine rebuild (with stronger pistons, con-rods, etc.). They won't rebuild your own engine but offer you an already rebuilt engine in exchange. Price will be expensive, around 24k EUR, if I recall him saying correctly. No warranty as you're going to tread into delicate tuning territory with such a build. They are absolutely dedicated to their work. I'm sure it will be a fine bit of kit in the end.

They said the 500hp conversion was going to be a big deal and that seems fair given what is being offered. 

Most I would do is the 460hp one as it is all bolt on. I'll pop over and read the other thread ?

Ivve already ady talked to Daniel on the EV460 kit, only drawback is the cost (~4K €). But, I very likely won't be able to resist. 

Anyone know an easily robbed bank? 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Seems cheap. The 430 kit is more than that ovwr here? 

Coming in at just under 4800 now there is a sale on but was close to 5500 prior to that I believe. 4000 euros puts it at 2900 ish quid so that's a bargain!

great feedback, thanks :) !  

did you ever try the Evora 400 ? it would be very interesting to have your impressions, comparing both, as I assume it may be an alternative for some people here (upgrading existing Exige/Evora rather than going to the 400) ! I'm not forgetting other improvements, but it may be a way to fall in love again ;) !

PS: I reckon the Evora even better benefits from the 430 upgrade, being heavier ...

13 minutes ago, French Frie said:

great feedback, thanks :) !  

did you ever try the Evora 400 ? it would be very interesting to have your impressions, comparing both, as I assume it may be an alternative for some people here (upgrading existing Exige/Evora rather than going to the 400) ! I'm not forgetting other improvements, but it may be a way to fall in love again ;) !

PS: I reckon the Evora even better benefits from the 430 upgrade, being heavier ...

I've not driven the 400 as for me it holds very little appeal.

My Evora S is a 64 plate - I bought mine only last October and so I was aware of a new Evora about to be released. It was a gamble as to whether or not I had done the right thing, but my decision was vindicated when I saw the styling which really isn't to my taste at all. I also didn't feel that 400hp had gone far enough (but I can understand why), given that I was already running 390 + 2ubular set up.

I'm personally glad that I have followed this particular path. I have something unique and in a body shape which I prefer. The fact that the car has remained looking standard but beneath it there have been so many changes only adds to the appeal for me.

I will try and test a 400 at some point..... however, all of the mechanical engine changes which have been made to it (including the "sporty new exhaust note) sort of pale into insignificance when compared to my particular car!

6 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

I hope this is a (double) typo, Stu! ;)

I thought it sounded quite endearing..................

thanks, Anthony ... I must admit I'm on your side! could you tell us more though about your setup, mixing 2bular exhaust and komotec tuning ? did you do that because you assume Jim's exhaust has better performance than the komotec manifolds, or is it just because you had it before, and if so, how do you rate the perf improvement of the 2bular exhaust alone ? 

have you dynoed your car with each of level of tuning ? or at least the full upgrade ? 

thanks ;) !

Hello.....

My 2ubular was already fitted to the vehicle by MMC in Scotland prior to any Komotec/ Hangar111 tuning being carried out. In fact, I'm not sure I would recommend the 2ubular/ Komotec mix as Hangar111 had a bit of a ball-ache trying to set the car up properly. In standard 350hp tune the 2ubular is fantastic, but as soon we started tuning with Komotec it became apparent that a lack of back pressure from the oversized 2ubular exhaust was causing issues with the ECU. This happened at 390. We overcame the lack of back pressure by increasing the HP to 430 which has resolved any issue.

2ubular are local to where I stay, and where possible I like to support local business. The fact that Jim makes (in my opinion) some of the best exhausts on the market only adds to the reason why I would choose him. He has worked hard with MMC in Edinburgh to create a OEM style exhaust which MMC fit for the customer as part of a turn-key package. The increase in performance from fitting the 2ubular manifolds/ 200cell cat and backbox alone was impressive. It is considerably lighter than standard. However, for me, the noise of the 2ubular is worth the upgrade alone. There are some videos kicking about which are worth looking for. It sounds very much like a flat-plane Ferrari V8 (no exaggeration).

Anyway - back on topic. The car hasn't been dynoed..... I intend to do this as part of the 460 upgrade next year. I cant recommend Komotec (or indeed Hangar111 in Suffolk) enough for kits and for the service they provide.

38 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

I hope this is a (double) typo, Stu! ;)

Haha! Indeed. Poor on my part i

1 hour ago, anthonyyule said:

That would be about right.... I think I have set aside circa £2500 for the 460 upgrade, based on the costs I have spent to date with upgrading from 390 to 430.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the 460 kit..... I'm trying to think how I felt when I went from 350 to 390 and then 390 to 430. I cant remember a huge increase in perceptible performance when I went to 390 (I was already running with a full 2ubular manifold/ exhaust set up from standard so the increases in performance have probably been incremental up to 390)..... but the jump to 430 was much more noticeable. OK - so that is a 40hp increase....but if the 460 is anything as impressive as the 430 then it will something to behold.

Its very difficult to describe... but you quickly adjust to the additional power and now 430 just feels 'normal' (in a spin your wheels through 3rd gear sort of normal!). But I guess its easy to become blasé about these things. 430hp feels incredible. Very very fast, very potent - and the acceleration is brutal. The car feels so alive... it moves around under you and you can feed the power in such a controlled manner. Komotec really have made a great job of all kits to date, and the 460 is just going to be nuts.

I just cant wait to get my install done :)

How does the cars traction control handle the 430hp? Can it still lay the power down without squirling all over the place? 

You can certainly feel the additional power - the car feels much more alive - sending information from all 4 corners more readily.

I tend to short shift in 1st.... but otherwise the power is 100% deployable in the dry. In the wet it is a slightly different story (the car will easily spin its wheels in 5th possibly 6th gear mid way through the pedal travel at speeds of 60+), and I imagine the car to be quite like an 80's (or any other pre-electronic nanny aid) supercar. As long as you are careful with your right foot the car is ok. In fact, I had the Evora out on Saturday morning and it was cold and very icy and it behaved impeccably on worn summer tires. Of course, I wasn't driving like a buffoon!

Lets be honest - this isn't a fault of the Komotec kit (or the Lotus software which never envisaged such a power hike). Its just physics. As long as a certain amount of common sense is applied then the 430 kit is very manageable. It will take longer to learn the limits for sure as the operating window for hooning safely has diminished.... but I will apply the same philosophy to the 460 kit in time too.

I've had every stage dynoed at Komotec, which they normally do as part of their install. The numbers are right-on what they claim.

From the description the biggest difference between the EV430 and EV460 will be at higher summer temps. The EV430 loses significant power when the outside temperatures are above 25 °C, just becaus intake air temperature is too high. With the charge cooler in the EV460 this is solved. In fact I believe intake temperatures are significantly lower, thus actually reducing engine stress at the same time.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much extra plumbing, the charge cooler is a 5 cm thick piece installed between the SC and the manifold. So, htere is no plumbing, except for the water cooling circuit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi - I'm just wondering if anyone has since upgraded to 460 hp?   And Thomas, can the 460 upgrade still be done on cars with IPS, or are we limited to the 430 hp upgrade?   Thanks.

Wow.   The silence is deafening!   So .... nobody anywhere has yet done a 460 HP upgrade?

I have an IPS and believe the system has limitations to circa 10% power increase so 380hp would be ok. Not sure what the reason is but possibly overheating of the totque converter and IPS software mapping.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Thanks Trevor.   I also have the IPS, and I'm looking into this.   I've heard a few people express interest, but haven't heard of anyone going this step yet.  Not counting the coming of the 500 HP monster, wouldn't 460 be the most powerful Evora anywhere?

As you say it's interesting not many have gone the tuning route with an Evora and I suspect lots talk about it but when it comes down to it the cars balance between power and handling is very good and not lacking at all. This may be why they leave it alone and some just go for a different sound and the smaller power uplift is a bonus but in reality not enough to make much difference. There is always the exception to the rule though. I'd personally like more power but the car is quite sweet as it is and wouldnt want to upset this, I'd be better off with driving lessons.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.