Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pre Brembo 1994 S4 to Brembo upgrade - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Pre Brembo 1994 S4 to Brembo upgrade

Should be picking up from Sports Car World (AKA Regogo Racing) after install of later model Brembo calipers. The machined the hubs from my 1994 S4 which was pre-brembo, to work with the later model Esprit Brembo's, new SS lines front and rear. 

If you are ever in Dallas a trip to their shop is WELL WORTH it! 
Regogo Racing

one of the "toys" they race to this day.. 
Lotus 79 driven by Mario Andretti and Ronnie Peterson
Regogo Racing

Gotta love a shop with a bar with a stripper pole, indoor shooting range and much more! 

Joe Grassi is AMAZING!
Regogo Racing

Attached Images

attachment.php?attachmentid=651097&stc=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=651105&stc=1 
  • Like 1

I think PNM lists EBC green stuff pads as an option for their big brake conversions. I've never used them myself, so can't comment on what they're like, but it seems odd that they would do so if they weren't up up to the job.

Are they really that bad? What's the lowdown?

Margate Exotics.

You might as well use lumps of wood in the calipers in my experience of them, that's before you boil the fluid and wonder why you have no brakes coming into Paddock at 130mph. Not a fan. 

That EBC page I linked to above states they're for small cars, hot hatches and nothing over 200bhp. If you never drive fast or wish to use the brakes with any gusto, they'll work but they're a long way from being good if you actually need them in a performance car.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Good for normal street use and coffee runs.  And that's fine by me at the moment. :-)

Not at all good for track days.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I emailed Steve at SJ about the pads and asked around in other places. Steve said:

"Yes, the pads are EBC Greenstuff.  They are good to use. There are a lot of pad brands and compounds to choose from. The ones I sent are fine for normal driving. We have fitted and sold a lot.
What they will not do, is stop the car from 100 miles per hour, five times in a minute. That is not normal driving. For that you need something else."

I also trust Joe Grassi at Sports Car World and lead race mechanic for Regogo Racing who felt that for my non track use the pads are fine.
Joe is the one who machined my hubs to work, etc., etc.
http://www.regogoracing.com/#!joe-grassi/c1dmi

1 hour ago, 60N4.7 said:

I emailed Steve at SJ about the pads and asked around in other places. Steve said:

What they will not do, is stop the car from 100 miles per hour, five times in a minute. That is not normal driving. 

is normal for BIBS

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I haven't checked if your new brakes are the same as the V8's but I spent quite some time trawling the forum a while back on brake pads and these were the best apparently:

Ferodo DS2500 pads from Demon Tweeks............ so two things learnt

1) when looking at the greenstuff pads upon removal they were smoother than a baby's bum, to the point I would say that they were glazed, so that explains the poorer performance but what is strange is my understanding that to glaze the pads you need to overheat them which having only done 2000 general motorway / A roads and a few brake tests 60mph to zero not sure how that would cause it to glaze. Anyway I've cleaned the discs up, no evidence of overheating there, no blueing of the surface or cracks so after a polish with my grinder they are ready to receive the new pads.

2). Took the plunge and ordered the DS2500 unfortunately unsure of correct pad references I spoke directly to Demon Tweeks to get the right pads. Unfortunately the fronts were the wrong size so after a quick call I've received the right ones. So here is the correct references for brembo equipped cars Fronts are FCP1348H (H denotes the compound as being DS2500) Rears are FCP1560H.

Total cost was £230

Make sure you order some copaslip (hi temp anti seizing assembly compound) as the DS2500 pads are not backed with rubber to stop them rattaling and/or seizing.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

1 hour ago, swindon_alan said:

I haven't checked if your new brakes are the same as the V8's but I spent quite some time trawling the forum a while back on brake pads and these were the best apparently:

I believe the brake calipers are the same on the V8, as the S4/S4s. P/N's A082J4382/3F fit the S4s, anyway.

Reading up, the DS2500s needs heat into them to work, and generate a lot of dust. I might have a look at the EBC Yellowstuff.

Margate Exotics.