Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Changing rear link arms, compress springs? - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Changing rear link arms, compress springs?

They're not supposed to slide easily ... but, as sailorbob said, the whole reason for their existence is to ensure that there is no load on the casting. If the inside bore on the casting is squeaky clean and the split sleeve is new, then they should be tight...but not to the interference fit sort of level, or you are likely to get loading on the lugs of the casting when you torque it all up. They are split for this express purpose...

It is essential that you don't load the casting lugs or they break off. I found that out back in 1992, iirc.... trying to get the long stud out by biffing it. Not a good idea.... Winding the split bushes in as on the photo works well, and you will find that putting a suitable socket over the bush so that it can be pulled further through the hole is a good idea too.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I think the important thing here is to ensure that those doing it themselves don't fall into a common trap.  I've seen owners amazed that the sleeve even existed as a separate part, such was the corrosion and accretion, and reluctance to move.  I've seen one carrier fractured shortly after bush replacement.

We all know what the sleeves are supposed to do; reality differs somewhat.  Suffice to say the sleeve MUST be replaced, everything must be squeaky clean, and it's not a bad idea to optimise the position before tightening up.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Clearly there is disagreement here which is unlikely to be resolved, however I remain comfortable with the method Sparky and I used to do the job on my car, which has been driven a couple of thousand miles since. Also, an 'interference' fit is precisely what holds the split sleeve in place, by the action of its compression. The definition is on the web.

Jacques will no doubt work out what he wants to do in due course, when his new split sleeves arrive.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks Guys, I hear you all. Once I get new sleeves, I will "slide" them in, perfectly clean and in clean lugs, and have it a bit more protruding at the outer end towards the end nuts. Once I have installed the lower link arm, I will tighten the end nuts, which should Wind into position, and that's it. But I'll report back, once I have the parts.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Okay all done. Very easy actually. Used a hacksaw the get the sleeve out on the left side. Cleaned up and made a Little thing to slide the new sleeve in with only applying a bit for force on one lug. The right side, the stud axle came out easy, and so did the sleeve. New parts all over and well greased with copper grease.

Thanks for all good advices.

Cheers,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)