Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cooling System Check in Chicagoland area. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cooling System Check in Chicagoland area.

pasha2891

Hi everyone,

Wanted to take a shot in the dark and see if anyone knew of any shops in the Chicagoland area that would be able to do a inspection of the cooling system on an Esprit V8.  I think I might have a small leak somewhere that's hard to nail down.  Any help would be appreciated!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

If you didn't want to do it yourself, I would have thought that any good mechanic should be able to trace the system?

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Thanks, maybe I should just do it myself. I agree that any mechanic should be able to do it, I've just seen many get scared of touching the car and refuse to do any work on it. I'm trying to avoid having to take it to the official chicago land dealership because they're not open on weekends and weren't overly enthusiastic on doing work on the Esprit when I stopped in a couple years ago. I wish Fox Valley Motorcars was still in business. 

I also know about John Welch and he was great but always booked for months. 

Not sure of a specific place in Chicago area, but will echo the comments about this being something any shop could handle.  Nothing complicated, just lots of hose unions each with a clamp that likely needs tightened.  A pressure tester is a great tool for any Esprit owner to have.  The pre-trip pressure test saved me from roadside disaster more than once with my V8.  I will say that in 10 years of ownership, the primary reliability issues were coolant leaks.  The only other issue was a failed alternator, but I still made it home.   Upgrading to the silicone hoses from JAE is highly recommended.  

For now though, a pressure tester and some time under the car tightening hose clamps will have you sorted.  Not the ideal weather for repairs, so whoever you trust for your daily driver can tackle this too. A lift makes it a quick and painless effort.  

Regards,

Rod

Cleveland Oh

• Like 1

Rod

98 Esprit V8

Dynamic Racing Turbos

Water Injection

Factory Red ECU

3 bar MAP piggyback

Straight-through exhaust

TurboXS BOVs

Blitz I-color boost control + Wide-band AFR

Porsche/Getrag G50/52 Transmission (...coming soon someday)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

You should see about joining Lotus Corps, the Chicago area Lotus club. We are having our annual tune-up clinic next month, and I'm sure we could give you a hand with this task. Also, I believe one of our club members has a stock V8 muffler he would love to get rid of, if you are still in need.

http://www.lotuscorps.org/index.php

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages