Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
VW Buys Lotus?! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

VW Buys Lotus?!

China-based news agency XFN Asia is reporting that Volkswagen has agreed to purchase a majority 51 percent stake in ailing Malaysian carmaker Proton. The as-yet-unconfirmed deal would provide Volkswagen with control of British-based sports-car maker Lotus, a Proton property :D

Does this mean a reunion between Lotus and Lamborghini a la 1990 F1!!!!!.....................I know VW are one of the few major manufacturers (along with GM) not to be involved with F1?!?!?

..................everything crossed.....could it be!!!!

Edited by nello

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I think it's great!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Eeep.

I agree :D (VW/Porsche wants to sell Lambo and kill Bugatti) but i hope that I am wrong.... becouse who buy Lotus, today that needs big investemts and can to be buyed only by big car manufacurer like GM,Ford,Toyota etc etc........

If Toyota buy it, may be we'll see the Lotus name in F1 again ...

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

As an Engineer I keep a close eye on things around here... B) I can say that no deal is done as yet. There are also several "players" looking at Proton, GM and VW we know of.........and rumours about certain other interested parties from other countries :D .

Look FYI, Audi/VW just managed to get rid of the last Italian Director of Lamborghini. The complete board and management there is now German and it's been already publicised that the last car released was going to be the last TRUE lambo.

Even IF VW kept Lotus do you really think it would be left in British hands? I am really sure of one thing, there's only one part of Lotus that would be of interest and thats Engineering. Even then it would be likely to be moved to their German engineering businesses.

You would have to kiss goodbye to the likes of MJK and Roger Becker and the lack of information and press releases from the board at Lotus does point to the fact that they're not happy.

I know the German manufacturers very well, hell I used to work for them so believe me when I say it would be better for Lotus and everyone here that anyone and I mean ANYONE buys Lotus/ Proton rather than them.

I know I don't post very often but those that have read my comments before know that I only post when required.

From the article I have read, Porsche Owns controling stock of VW. Porsche will setup Bugatti so that they only build 1 off cars. My info comes from autoweek. I have also read that they will sell Lambo because the do not want another Competiter.

So why would Porsche want to even consider buying someone else.

Guy

They don't want Lotus they are buying Proton. The reasons for this are that they want an Asian base and even more importantly VW want a manufactoring base in the huge Malay Market which is closed to imported vehicles due to their import taxes of 300% or so!

Edited by Skidz

Audi, part of VW, bought Cosworth when VIckers sold it, as part of the deal for VW to buy Rolls Royce.

They immediately put the F1 side into a panic by saying that neither VW or Audi had any intention of going into F1. Then they sold the racing side to Ford but kept the road car side. They used them to do a lot of work on various VW and Audi power units but Cosworth Technology, as it was called, still did contract work for other companies, I believe. They also kept the foundry in Worcester where they made blocks and heads for Aston Martin and Jaguar, and the assembly factory in Wellingborough where the Rolls Royce pushrod was assembled alongside the Aston V12. As far as I know, they did not fill the place with German bosses or engineers and this is still the case now that Mahle has bought those Cosworth bits from Audi.

Having said all that, I have the same worries as Skidz. You just never know what will happen in this sort of situation.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

For your info I believe, that with Lambo, Porsche and Bugatti on the books, they have no requirement for another minority sports car manufacturer. It's my own personal opinion that Lotus would be cut up and sold off.

OK everyone, stay with me on this one: if just 2,000 of the 3,000 or so LEF members would pitch in

Err, date Alex?! :D

Haha,

well spotted, I never read the bumf at the top of a web page!, teach me to read properly. Sounds like ground hog day though doesnt it.

Alex (should have gone to specs savers) :P

Anyone remember the Rolls Royce/Bentley take over? Both bought by Volkswagon who promptly sold RR on to BMW. Wouldn't suprise me if someone snaps up Proton and then moves Lotus on immediately to someone else.

Don't forget that there have been many hints about the engine for the new Esprit. Wouldn't it be a possibility that BMW would want Lotus for it's handling, driving expertise and surely the transfer of any BMW engine becomes cheaper making more profit for the Esprit. Just my take, maybe far fetched, who knows?

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Don't forget that there have been many hints about the engine for the new Esprit. Wouldn't it be a possibility that BMW would want Lotus for it's handling, driving expertise and surely the transfer of any BMW engine becomes cheaper making more profit for the Esprit. Just my take, maybe far fetched, who knows?

And then perhaps the BMW F1 team would become Lotus F1 :D:):)

Anyone remember the Rolls Royce/Bentley take over? Both bought by Volkswagon who promptly sold RR on to BMW.

The reason that VW did that was that they boobed when they bought Rolls Royce. They did not realize that BMW already owned the rights to the Rolls Royce name because of the business connection between BMW and Rolls Royce sero engines.

As a side note, Mercedes were lead to believe that they would be getting Rolls Royce and were so aggrieved that they didn't get it they made the Maybach.

I don't know why VW or BMW would want Lotus. If they want access to Lotus' engineering expertise, Lotus will gladly rent it to them. Doesn't make sense for BMW to have an in-house rival for the Z4 and VW are supposed to be developing a light, two seater sports car.

I am afraid that Lotus just come as part of the package for VW. It's Proton they want, not Lotus.

Having said all that, I have no idea why Ford bought Aston Martin or Volkswagen bought Lamborghini or Bugatti.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Just want to clear a few things up...... as i see them

Firstly, If you guys in Group LEF buy out the existing company do i get to keep my job? (Beg, Beg) :(

Secondly, The main motive behind VW's wish to purchase (and the same reason PSA Peugeot/Citroen and GM have shown interest in purchasing) Proton is to land themselves with manufacturing capability in the ASEAN region (no this is not a spelling mistake). It would help them bypass the HUGE taxes or duties imposed on imported cars in this region. And, seeing as Proton are running at a fraction of their present production capacity, due to a 40% loss of their home market share, it means there is plenty of infracstructure going begging. The alledged deal (which i think you will find is firmed-up on 8th Feb) is apparently for Proton manufacturing and NOT Proton Holdings as a whole (the bit that includes Lotus). However, Lotus Engineering is of use to VW as was proved by the ill-fated GX3 trike concept which was partly engineered by Lotus.(none of this is confidential and is ALL in the public domain- i.e. please DON'T sack me!!!)

Thirdly, The supposed reason behind the first MOU (memorandum of understanding) falling through was because of the current Malaysian governments refusal to give up a majority share of a Malaysian Company to an outsider. But i guess VW just bided their time until the financial position of Proton deteriorated and then tried again, thus weakening the governments position.

Fourthly, all of the above is SOLELY my opinion and does no reflect the opinions of Lotus. :huh: