Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Solution for cam cover oil leaks (early 4 cyl) - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Solution for cam cover oil leaks (early 4 cyl)

Daniel

The lower cover on my S2 has been leaking oil pretty much since I got it. It's a crap design with the engine tilted so far and oil always against the seal which has no seat.

I've replaced the gasket a couple of time with little success...... you can always tell it's leaking due to the smoke when the oil drops on to the exhaust.

A chap from Norlog told me that he'd succeeded by making his own cork gasket, but I tried another way and I thought I'd share my success:

Simply bought an off the shelf high temp silicone based sealant..... made sure both surfaces were clean and dry and used panel wipe to de-grease. Carefully applied 2 beads of sealant to the cam cover and left it to set before I re-fitted (it was 90% set). Nipped up the bolts corner to corner in less than quarter turn increments and took my sweet ass time.

Used no other gasket and thus far, it's as dry as a bone.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Like 1

Well done Daniel, Thanks for sharing.

My solution is, that I cut a set of gaskets out of a 2mm neoprene rubber sheet. I used the original paper gasket as a template. On the picture, the blue one is the original paper one and the black is the self made neoprene gasket. It did not leak during the past 2 years.As you can see I cut also the inlet gasket out of the same material. Works very well and no need to use sealants when mounting the gaskets

IMG_20140929_182717_zpsf3ee0356.jpg

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

The original gaskets are terrible as they need a lot of silicone sealant applied to make them seal which is not a good idea at all.

I will never forget one day many years ago a group of us were at Kelvedon Motors and Pat Thomas had an engine which he was about to rebuild which had been blown by the oilways becoming blocked by silicone "worms" from excess which has squeezed out into the engine. Pat used to say "silicone sealant belongs in bathrooms not engines".

But Daniels idea of applying to one face and allowing to dry would not have this problem and sounds like a good idea, as do rubber gaskets.

• Like 1

I work with a guy who was an engine builder at Lotus during the 901 and 910 period. His thinking was to use silicon although wet not dry and he thinks if you let it dry too much it splits when you torque down the cover. I am trying to convince him to come and do the cover on my brothers S2 which is leaking a lot of oil, for some reason he does not seem too keen.....

seems whatever you do its going to take a few attempts. If you are really struggling Honda do some sealant that's meant to be the dogs but not tired it myself.

C43

I used silicone on mine (as per SJ's suggestions) but I didn't like the amount of force I had to apply to get the cam cover off. I was worried it would distort the cover (which I hear is easy to do) and then cause leaks in the future. When I stripped my engine prior to its rebuild the oil pickup pipe filter was clogged with silicone.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I overhead a conversation about this very topic at the TLF gaterhing at Brooklands last year, between two forum members.

Matt Watts mentioned he had spoken to someone about this and came up with the way to do this, it would be great if he was able to see this thread and advise as I can't remember exactly what the process was but it sorted the problem out.

Neil,

When I purchased the car I had leaking camcovers.

5 years ago, I applied the paper gaskets with a sealant form a gasket No 02. It was leakfree after

2 years ago I did a head revision and I used for a change the neoprene gaskets . It is also leakfree.

In both cases camcovers and block are thoroughly cleaned an completely free of oilresidue before mounting  the gaskets.

I find the neoprene gaskets easier to install, less mess with sealants, less cleaning if the cam covers should have to come of.

But both are OK solutions.

• 1 year later...

This thread refers mostly to the early 4-cylinders. Any chance the neoprene gasket approach might work well on turbo cam covers too? Flat seals instead of curved ones should be easier to seal, shouldn’t they? I looked through the other cam gasket threads and there were mixed opinions. I have a 1/16 high temp neoprene sheet around that I use for dry gaskets mostly. So neoprene camcover gaskets on turbo, worth a try?

Ad initium

Thanks Steve. I’m in the process of repainting all the covers. Done all the plenum side bits. Cam covers are still to be done so wondering what’s the best option to go with once I remove them for new paint. I had some oil in the spark plug well when I bought the car a year+  ago. Cleaned it up. Since then, there is very little seeping with the current gaskets but once it take them off I’ll have to reseal them correctly. Going with paper gaskets and silicon sounds messy so that’s where the neoprene approach comes from.

• Like 1

Ad initium

How did you know I go with the messy silicone approach?!   I'm going to admit to a terrible secret that will almost certainly lead to being flamed....   I just use cheap 'generic' clear silicone from the local hardware shop applied as an even 2mm bead with a cartridge gun onto the gasket mating faces  (I still use the gasket of course).   No leaks, no mess and no excess silicone bogging up the motor.     

• Like 1

I've just bought the rubber gaskets Paul Coleman mentioned and will be fitting them this month. I pray it's a non-drip solution. I dread changing those gaskets, they are a pain especially with the engine still in the car.

Will let you know how I get on.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

10 hours ago, peteyg said:

I've just bought the rubber gaskets Paul Coleman mentioned and will be fitting them this month. I pray it's a non-drip solution. I dread changing those gaskets, they are a pain especially with the engine still in the car.

Will let you know how I get on.

Pete

That was 2 years ago I bought those and I still haven't fitted them! Let us know how you get on with them Pete. I've got the originals fitted as per SJ's recommendations and they've never leaked a drop :) I've been reluctant to touch them for obvious reasons!!

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I'll update as and when. I've never managed to get the originals to seal properly so this will be very welcome if it works.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

On 02/03/2018 at 18:16, 910Esprit said:

Knew it! - I only just resisted calling it 'bathroom sealant'

That is what the book says though, it specifies using Silastic RTV which is standard silicone bath seal.

• Like 1

@gvy...Hi Geert, was the cr sheet you used foam, or solid?

seems to be available from RS here in the uk ( JW ref per your 2016 post), but now only 1.5 and 3mm thicknesses.

FINALLY recaptured my car fron Dad, so final works commencing in earnest...

thx in advance, Dave

It is en feels like rubber ( no foam).

Very flexible and cuts with scissors or a knife

Neoprene resists degradation more than natural or synthetic rubber. This relative inertness makes it well suited for demanding applications such as gaskets, hoses, and corrosion-resistant coatings.

Edited by gvy
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

Rubber gaskets fitted and so far, no leaks :happydance:except on the bit where I didn't do a very good job of getting the gasket into position before tightening down the covers and filling up with oil but that's my fault, not the gasket's so ~I would happily recommend the rubber versions if you are having leakage issues.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009