Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S1 spare wheel - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S1 spare wheel

Hi, in my Esprit S1 i only have the 4 wolfrace wheels, i dont have the spare wheel which goes in the front trunk. So my question, apart from an original spare is there anything else that can substitute that? Even if its one of those "buiscuit" type spare wheels.

Edited by rajesprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
14 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

I'm not sure that they work in Espana Barry :P

There's always a donkey not far away in all the pictures - just use one of them....

• Like 1

Only here once

Maybe the donkey is behind the Wheel? Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Anyway, those Wolfrace Wheels are really really nice! But I cannot tell if there's a fifth as spare or it's a space saver. I am sure someone well into their S1, will chime in soon.

Jacques.

• Like 2

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

Let's be real though - I've needed to put on the spare wheel once by the side of a road in 22years of driving !!!

And I've lugged a spare round the whole time - what an utter waste 

Only here once

40 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Let's be real though - I've needed to put on the spare wheel once by the side of a road in 22years of driving !!!

And I've lugged a spare round the whole time - what an utter waste 

Um, you were precocious then Barry. Started driving at the age of three?

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I hope I never have to use my spare, the thought of driving with a 34 year-old unused Goodyear Grand Prix S (remember them?) on the spacesaver does not appeal.

Amazingly though the air in that tyre is still original Hethel factory air. As far as I know its never been pumped up in its history! 100% for originality :)

• Like 1

Andy , Original Hethel factory Air :P  That sounds awesome, I reckon suck it out, list it on ebay as Original Hethel factory air and some nut would probably pay good money for it  lol

A

The spare in my S1 is an extra front wheel. All the S1s I've seen have the same front alloy wheel as a spare but the last time I saw one for sale they wanted £1,000 for it!!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Andyww said:

I hope I never have to use my spare, the thought of driving with a 34 year-old unused Goodyear Grand Prix S (remember them?) on the spacesaver does not appeal.

Amazingly though the air in that tyre is still original Hethel factory air. As far as I know its never been pumped up in its history! 100% for originality :)

7 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Andy , Original Hethel factory Air :P  That sounds awesome, I reckon suck it out, list it on ebay as Original Hethel factory air and some nut would probably pay good money for it  lol

My thoughts exactly. I have the same space saver which has never been on so do you think if we advertise as pair of Hethel twins fresh Lotus air we would get a better price. On a serious note, my 85 S3 n/n still has three of her original tyres on, but they are due to be changed for new rubber on Thursday. I am going to keep the originals just in case I ever find a spare set of rims to stick them on. Loads of tread left but more fissures than the Grand Canyon.

On another serious note John, thirty year old tyres on an Esprit frightens the life out of me!! My smash was partly caused by tyres over ten years old. I will change them again after eight no matter what tread is left on them. Hopefully none as I will try and wear the buggers out before then :devil:

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I had the tyres changed on my 328 recently and they were 15 years old.

The tyre guy had trouble getting them off, he called me over to have a look, the machine which pushes the sidewalls downwards to open up a gap was punching right through the sidewalls as they were so brittle. Very scary.