Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1997 Jaguar XK8 - Daily Driver? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1997 Jaguar XK8 - Daily Driver?

Hey all,

I've recently been mulling over retiring my current DD (A 2006 Ford Focus) in favour of something more up my alley, something RWD and preferably British. And something that spites the "Green Party" to boot. 

One of the few cars that ALWAYS catches my eye, without fail (apart from the Esprit, obviously) has been the (now old) Jaguar XK8 and its steroid-pumped brother the XKR.

The latter is out of the question because it's monstrously expensive to insure (twice what the XK8 costs) and I perhaps DON'T need a supercharger for pottering about town buying groceries. I've got the Turbo SE for that. 

Anyhow, I've found a few specimens, one of which is highly tempting, not least because it presents itself as such a risk. It's a 1997 XK8 in BRG/Magnolia (duh!) with roughly 72,000 miles on the clock going for just under £8400. There are a few around Sweden with similar mileage that are just north of that value, but let's say they're available for 10,000.

This particular one from 97 is missing the service book, has virtually no history other than 3 sheets from '98/'99/'02 and has had the same owner since 2004 who has driven it like 3000 miles during that time. A Carfax on it shows that it's never failed an MOT or even been issued any advisories.

The cam-chain tensioners have supposedly NOT been changed. Being a 97 its probably got that Nikasil liner engine too, albeit I don't think Sweden ever had high sulphur content in its fuel. 

Now owning two Esprits, I'm no stranger to fear-mongering. I also recall when buying my SE that I ended up getting worried about all sorts of stupid things that really aren't that problematic or relevant to 99.9999% of owners (gearbox strength and such)...

Does anyone here have experience with the XK8? Shall I throw caution to the wind if everything seems to check out, or is it a complete dealbreaker to keep driving with the plastic chain tensioners? I supposed that If I add say 1000-2000 pounds they can be changed, but then I might as well buy an example that has already had them done...

Here's a linky to the car in question:

https://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Jaguar_XK_8_Coupe_V8_4_0i_290Hk_OBS_Sv_Sald_66369010.htm?ca=11&w=3

The only alternative that my lady and I are discussing is the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ because it also ticks a lot of the right boxes. Except it isn't British, isn't BRG/Magnolia, and doesn't upset environmentalists. 

Cheers in advance for your thoughts!

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

13 minutes ago, Vanya said:

perhaps DON'T need a supercharger for pottering about town buying groceries.

You do, you really, really do :thumbsup:

Shall I throw caution to the wind if everything seems to check out, or is it a complete dealbreaker to keep driving with the plastic chain tensioners? I supposed that If I add say 1000-2000 pounds they can be changed, but then I might as well buy an example that has already had them done...

Think Lotus timing belts with 20K miles on them, no way would you drive it around & wait for the bang :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Not familiar with the mechanical s or even lived with one Vanya but they do like very pretty and I think that values of them and the xjs are going to start rising so could be could be a good time to get into one.

My Dad's been running one as his main car for donkeys years. He bought it second hand from a main dealer.

XK8.jpg

It's also the "trouble-prone" early version, but considering the time he's owned it, it's not cost him a lot to run. He still makes 500 mile round trips to visit us in it without any great worries. I'll see if I can call him to find out any horror stories, but I don't think it's been bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

@Arun_D has recently become a Jag owner...

Indeed!

Having dived head-first into X308 gen XJ 3.2L ownership at the weekend, after my beloved Panda 100HP was written off two weeks ago, I can offer a bit of advice, but it sounds like you've done the relevant reading up.

As always, it's condition and history. With the lack of the latter and the apparent confirmation it's on its original early iteration tensioners, I would budget for changing them over with that mileage, and confirm the rest of the car is sound before looking at the more expensive alternative vehicles. I think your £1-2k estimation is probably more than enough for a tensioner change. Parts are reasonably priced, and due to access, I've read 3-4hrs labour is sensible (edit: this seems to be realistic for changing just the top tensioners). Saying that, it's apparently an easy DIY, and certainly looking at the access available in my XJ's engine bay, I can believe that.

Nikasil liners...as you've rightly identified, high sulphur fuel is the enemy here and you've done your reading up on the risk (or lack of, tbh).

if the timing drive isn't rattling on a cold startup, the transmission shifts between P, R, D with no clunkiness and shifts smoothly between forward gears, the temp gauge behaves itself on a test drive,  and the suspension and bodywork checks out, I'd be inclined to step into the breach, but get those tensioners changed at your earliest convenience.

Cheers for the input Arun.

I might go check it out and ask the dealer not to start it prior to my arrival so I can listen for any odd noises.

I'm handy with a spanner, but I'd rather not dive headfirst into Jag maintenance as I've got 2 Esprits to take care of. I'd be farming out any necessary labour. 

I can try and lop 1000 pounds off the asking price because of the tensioners. Or I might just pay a little more and have a car with the tensioners, thermostat and water pump done, if the net difference is zilch! There's a fellow quite close to the dealer with an identical XK8, albeit an Italian import which he claims is entirely rust free.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

Think Lotus timing belts with 20K miles on them, no way would you drive it around & wait for the bang :thumbdown:

The thing is, I've seen so so many Esprits rolling around like that...they usually get sold on before the owner considers any routine maintenance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vanya said:

The thing is, I've seen so so many Esprits rolling around like that...they usually get sold on before the owner considers any routine maintenance.

Yeah, but you only have to lift the engine lid to see the state of an Esprit's belt & if it looks in good condition you're probably ok, it's different with the Jag the first thing you know is when the engine has stopped. :wub:

I think you should have a proper test drive of an XK, through the chicanes at speed & you'll be so disappointed with the handling you'll forget all about it. 

What about an Excel as a DD, excellent car & as cheap as chips to buy & run? :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

My brother has been trying to convince me of exactly that. Excel. Indeed lts always and option!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

The Jag isn't about handling like a Lotus:  It's more of a GT. 

Exactly. I don't have any expectations of its handling - I actually expect it to be completely without feedback as if floating on a cloud.

It will also give me an excuse to wear a golf hat, dress in Tweed, and blast unfashionable music through my stereo, say.. King Crimson or something of the sort.

Like you said before it's got fantastic lines - it pushes all the right buttons and exudes class. Another thing I've noticed is that when Brits spec leather interior in their cars, you get leather. It looks like leather. It smells like leather. Much like the proverbial quacking duck, it's probably bloody leather. 

Now OTHER manufacturers...."100% LEATHER INTERIOR!" - leather by whom? Moby or another leading Vegan? Gimme a break! 

I drove a 2001 XKR convertible for 7 years and 115,000 miles as a DD. It never missed a beat or broke down. 

It will not drive like a lotus. Definitely a GT but quite practical when you consider the boot and back seat for hauling loads.

All mine needed was regular servicing and usual consumables.

Except. Wearing our suspension bushes more often than you might expect. Talking one day to my regular jag servicing manager he said this was Jags choice for a softer ride but personally he would have put sports suspension on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Except. Wearing our suspension bushes more often than you might expect. Talking one day to my regular jag servicing manager he said this was Jags choice for a softer ride but personally he would have put sports suspension on.

I've read about this! How quickly do they go through bushings? What are the tell-tale signs? Are the affected bushes easy to get at or do they necessitate a full suspension teardown each time? 

Otherwise, 115,000 miles! Nice going! 

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, ian29gte said:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you: King Crimson is in no way unfashionable. But if we're talking 1997, then I'm going with The Eels 'Beautiful Freak' album.

Two great shouts there Ian, but I'd have to go with Super Furry Animal's "Radiator" if it's 1997 again.

Back in to the main topic:

I've always loved the look of the XK8 and think it's going to be a future classic with those lines.  They're a lot of car for the money.

I can understand the appeal completely of having something "a bit more GT" to waft you around in and, as you clearly state, you're looking for a different proposition to the rest of your cars.

The Subaru/Toyota would be a safer bet, as you say - but I think you've already dismissed those cars in your head so probably just best to move along from those.

Realistically, you seem to have already made the decision ( :)  ) but are really looking for some like minded fellows to give you some affirmation.

At the end of the day, Cars cost you.  For every horror story, someone has a blemish free experience.  And we are all aware how even some of the so called "bomb-proof" manufacturers can give their owners nightmares.  

I say go for it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vanya said:

I've read about this! How quickly do they go through bushings? What are the tell-tale signs? Are the affected bushes easy to get at or do they necessitate a full suspension teardown each time? 

Damper bushes & sports springs :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

John, you're scaring me away! This is starting to look like Esprit ownership all over again (albeit with more reasonable prices!) 

The missus will NOT take kindly to me having the XK8 on axle stands every other day... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DaveC72 said:

Two great shouts there Ian, but I'd have to go with Super Furry Animal's "Radiator" if it's 1997 again.

Back in to the main topic:

I've always loved the look of the XK8 and think it's going to be a future classic with those lines.  They're a lot of car for the money.

I can understand the appeal completely of having something "a bit more GT" to waft you around in and, as you clearly state, you're looking for a different proposition to the rest of your cars.

The Subaru/Toyota would be a safer bet, as you say - but I think you've already dismissed those cars in your head so probably just best to move along from those.

Realistically, you seem to have already made the decision ( :)  ) but are really looking for some like minded fellows to give you some affirmation.

At the end of the day, Cars cost you.  For every horror story, someone has a blemish free experience.  And we are all aware how even some of the so called "bomb-proof" manufacturers can give their owners nightmares.  

I say go for it!

I haven't entirely dismissed the GT86 - I actually really like it, and it also catches my eye on the street. But it is twice as expensive as the XK8, in a year when I have a C-service on the V8, and suspension rebuild (and god knows what else...brake kits are tempting me) for the SE. It'd be easier on the old liquidity... but I think the other half would prefer the safe route. We're also both kinda allergic to automatics...but...dem curves... 

The Jaguar XK8 is a stunning car. Whenever I see one coming towards me, I always stare at it, especially one fitted with the mesh grille. You are probably more attracted to it than a Toyota, for the very reasons that you drive Lotuses; much more interesting, soulful and make you feel special whenever you walk up to one or drive one. 

Consider the merits of "Shall we take the Jaguar, dear?" 

I have a friend who has a white one (it actually looks fantastic) on the same wheels as the green one in the ad. He has had it for years ('97 car) and loves it to bits and never had one issue.

A lot of car, class and road presence for the money....Just my opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vanya said:

Otherwise, 115,000 miles! Nice going! 

I think I had 3 pairs changed in my ownership so not drastic. Can't comment on difficulty as the car was serviced annually by Jaguar and they would pick this up. There was only one time that I heard something and it sounded like a rhythmic scrape that increased in beat frequency with speed.

I think Jag charged around £400 per pair inc. fitting and VAT. Been some years since I had the car and all the paperwork went with it.

For such a car it wasn't all that onerous given everything else was faultless for so many happy miles.

Gentlemen,

Today I had my first "close encounter" with an XKR '02 - an absolutely stunning example with just north of 50,000 miles on the clock. This car has the same presence as any bona-fide supercar. low, sleek, huge goddamn wheels, and relatively big brakes! 

It was everything I hoped it would be and more - tight on the inside (cozy!), leather all over the place, everything with a premium feel to it. Love at first sight. 

The drive is...well. Also what I expected, and exactly what many have described above. The ride is undramatic, and steering feel completely nonexistent, a nice departure from what I usually drive right now (Turbo SE, what else?!)

I'm really not a fan of automatics, but with this car, anything else wouldn't mesh well with the rest of the experience. 

Now the downsides. The car was imported from Germany in 2008 and hasn't had ANY servicing since then. Prior to that, there's no history. Ergo, chains, tensioners, waterpump, thermostat - It'd be up to me, and I can't really be arsed because I spend most of my time rolling around under my SE. More importantly, it's rolling around with fluids from 2008. Less cool than the above. 

It's been stood outside for 2 years undriven because the current owner has no real use for it. The serpentine belt was chirping during the cold startup so it needs doing. No weird rattling though so that's a plus. 

Rear seats - useless. I always make a point of jumping into these, but this was too much even for me. But they look good and that's what matters. I look forward to the Evora +2 seats someday.

Those giant wheels will need a sister set with winter tyres on - mucho dinero! 

The nail in the coffin however came when SWMBO posed the seller a question about fuel economy. I need not describe the rest.

IMG_4235

IMG_4083IMG_4225

IMG_4217

IMG_4101

Needless to say, I spent the next few hours licking my wounds by tinkering with the SE and going for a MAN DRIVE with Japanese Jazz/Fusion blasting through the stereo:

The XKR may have had 370 Hp, but so far nothing I've driven has been more satisfying or dramatic than the power delivery of my Turbo SE. Really f*****g love that car. 

Anyhow the quest continues. I'm now relegated to an XK8 which I can afford to buy with my own funds! This is turning into a "how to avoid buying a GT86" thread... 

• Like 2

Told you so, didn't I? 

Forget all about GT86 think Excel :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W