Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alpine to Pioneer, reverse camera not working - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alpine to Pioneer, reverse camera not working

I have swapped my Alpine 520 out for a Pioneer F70DAB and can't get the reversing camera to work. It switches over in reverse but the screen is black. I guess the camera isn't getting power anymore, does anyone know how it works?

I thought it was triggered by the amp remote wire? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the F70DAB and Alpine camera and no problems getting it working, from memory I had a bundle of 3 wires coming from the RH side, coax video, camera power and power feed from the reversing lights. Now in theory you could connect the camera power and reversing power feed together but this would mean the camera would only work when in reverse, which is of course what it is designed for, but I connected the camera power to the amp remote wire so I can view the camera when ever. I think, again from memory, it was the blue / white wire from the head unit loom, think I posted a thread about it somewhere...

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/76121-another-pre-my12-ice-replacement/#comment-588816

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

3 minutes ago, internets said:

I have the F70DAB and Alpine camera and no problems getting it working, from memory I had a bundle of 3 wires coming from the RH side, coax video, camera power and power feed from the reversing lights. Now in theory you could connect the camera power and reversing power feed together but this would mean the camera would only work when in reverse, which is of course what it is designed for, but I connected the camera power to the amp remote wire so I can view the camera when ever. I think, again from memory, it was the blue / white wire from the head unit loom, think I posted a thread about it somewhere...

Do you recall which wire was the camera power feed? I have wires left over that don't match the lotus wiring diagram or the Alpine diagram :-(

Think the blue wire in the picture is reversing signal from lights and looks like the red wire was power for the Camera, *assuming* it's the same on your car....

image.jpeg.7ed7963fd8d39da1921575f56b095637.jpeg

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

Mmmm not sure then, every Lotus seems to be different ? If it was working before then you will have to work though and identify all the wires. Unless it's powered locally and it's a setting within the headunit?

Have faith ?image.jpeg

I've swapped alpine to pioneer, the lotus harness colours don't match the pi OK need ones, can't remember the colours but worth double checking the pin out positions. The reverse signal should be easily identified with a multimeter. Also some head units give different signal options in the settings which are worth checking.

Gav 

The reverse wire is ok, it switches to the camera in reverse but the screen is black. I will have to get the multimeter out and have a poke about.

The pioneer should have an option for whether the reversing camera is activated by either a high or a low signal.  You can try either setting to see if one polarity works.

maxresdefault.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Fixed it - should have read the manual more closely! The reverse camera input is a brown socket on the back, not the yellow RCA lead marked video input! Doh.

Now to work out why my sub isn't working.....

Ha I did think about that but I though you must of Got it in the right socket ?

Have you turned off the rear speakers and enabled the sub in the headunit settings? It's not the worlds best sub woofer lol

2 hours ago, TAS said:

Now to work out why my sub isn't working.....

When you do, let me know :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

52 minutes ago, internets said:

Ha I did think about that but I though you must of Got it in the right socket ?

Have you turned off the rear speakers and enabled the sub in the headunit settings? It's not the worlds best sub woofer lol

Yup, plugged the RCA into the sub lead out of the Imprint box, played with all the settings - zilch.

Ah if you have the alpine imprint I think you will have to ditch it. I didn't but on the upside you can sell all the bits on eBay! My stereo upgrade cost me about £100 after selling the old alpine stuff ?

44 minutes ago, internets said:

Ah if you have the alpine imprint I think you will have to ditch it. I didn't but on the upside you can sell all the bits on eBay! My stereo upgrade cost me about £100 after selling the old alpine stuff ?

The imprint is unplugged, I ran an RCA lead to the sub lead there as I couldn't work out how it was routed....

• 2 years later...

Just to add on this topic. 

I had fitted a camera to my Pioneer but the camera icon was greyed out and could not be selected. 

Had to activate the camera in settings first as it doesn't happen automatically. 

• 1 year later...

I’m having the same problem. Sometimes
I get a black screen and sometimes it’s fine. It will work for several days, then not work. For awhile, when I selected the camera either by switching into reverse or from the home screen, the camera would work for 5 seconds, then go black.

I’m using the camera that came fitted with the vehicle (Ford Transit Connect) and the camera always worked perfectly with the OEM radio since I got the van two years ago. So, it seems like an Alpine problem.

I’m using an iDatalink Maestro RR and their harness. The camera signal does pass through the harness. Also, the reverse signal.

It also seems like radio reception is weak. I suspect that the Maestro might not be sending the power signal to the antenna (which has an internal amp). So, maybe it is also not always sending the power signal to the camera. I have the vehicle wiring diagrams, so I’ll probe it when I get time.

I just installed a Pioneer radio in my Esprit and am having the same problem with the back-up camera...it works sometimes, but is mostly just blank when I go into reverse.  The guidelines come up every time, so I know the power wire is working, but I get no camera signal about 75% of the time.  I wiggled all the different connections and don't seem to get any response from that.

When I stripped the Alpine out of mine the sub was plugged into the imprint rear speaker outputs with a Left and Right RCA so I just plugged the sub into the rear out RCAs of my Sony and also had to connect the remote out connection into the lotus harness ... I think it was a blue and white cable there's a good pinout description in one of the threads on here.