Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Evora 400 Diaries - Page 16 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Evora 400 Diaries

JayEmm

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Also looking forward to your factory visit report.... tick tock :lol:

What did you want to know? There was a really nice Essex blue tub out the back being used as an ash tray by some of the boys ;)

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

7 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

What did you want to know? There was a really nice Essex blue tub out the back being used as an ash tray by some of the boys ;)

Excellent, did it have a sub :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Excellent, did it have a sub :lol:

They were taking a hacksaw to your interior to fit it in as I walked past. It's amazing what bathroom sealant can cover up ;)

So yeah the factory was really interesting. The only other car factory I've been to was Porsche in Zuffenhausen, about ten years ago. Even then they were making one 911 in about seven hours. They are actually "hand made", but to be honest it's basically a production line.

At Lotus there is a line, with cars moving along it - but it seems much less automated. It's not a "static build" process, evidently each person has their job to do an it's interesting to see the cars taking shape. I got to see pretty much most of the factory, seeing the car going from the bare tub, to going on the rollers for the first time. There was a great selection of colours, quite a few blues about. I also saw one 400 in "Exige Orange", which looked stunning. There weren't a huge amount of people in there, but then I guess you need to remember that Lotus' annual production is probably Porsche's daily production. 

Each car moved around the place with its spec sheet on top of it, I saw one and it was a Snows order, Mr Wilton or Witham or something along those lines. Wasn't much to look at as it was a bare shell with a wiring harness. But even at that stage there are things specific to that car - eg. the wiring for an auto is different to the manual.

Oh, and your chassis number will indicate car number - but the code is different for manual or auto. It's "1" for manual, "2" for auto. So mine is 10116 - meaning Manual car #116.

EDIT: The orange 400 looked quite a bit like this one.... http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/remarkable_turnaround_sees_car_maker_lotus_profitable_for_the_first_time_in_its_history_1_4586996?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

Not sure about the accuracy of the article though...

James Martin (JayEmm)

OK, so if yours was #116, what is the current chassis issue?

Something they did at vx220.org.uk was maintain a build list, so you could add your car to the list, with spec and owners. Similar to your 400 register, but a little more "tracked".

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Hi guys

I have now created a facebook page to go alongside the YouTube channel. I'll be putting up all sorts of photos and things there which won't be going on YouTube. So if you're subscribed to that, please pop over to FB and give me a like for all sorts of more Lotus and car-related goodies.

https://www.facebook.com/JayEmmonCars/

James Martin (JayEmm)

Nice idea Jay and I'm really looking forward to that video. No pressure. Is it up yet?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

@C8RKH it is going to take a little while, probably a week or so. We only recorded it yesterday so I need to go through and edit it. Then I need to pass it by MJK just to make sure I haven't presented anything incorrectly in the editing process.

The moment I can bring it out, I will. I'm not going to cut this one to a time limit, so it'll probably be around 45 minutes I would guess - maybe longer. There are some amazing bits of information in there that I never knew and possibly might not have been made general knowledge before.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

Superb. Top job and I really am looking forward to watching it. Did you say it was up there now ;)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

99Problems,

For giggles, I checked that specs on the V12 Vantage.  Despite similar dimensions, the Vantage weights about 600 lbs more than the Lotus.  

• Like 1

Yes, it does... however its also has 565 BHP, and 457 lb ft to move that a$$!  0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

Coming from an e92 M3, the Aston weighs roughly a 100 lbs less, with a whole lot more scoot.

Tracking is not in either my Evora 400's or Aston's potential future, so its really about smiles per hour driving on windy public roads, which the V12s I think would work nicely for... but I'm still holding out for the 400.  Hell, I have the TLF car cover in matching colors waiting for it...  :thumbsup:

Windy roads is exactly where the Lotus would probably out-run the Aston.  Car Magazine had the Aston Martin GT12 and it could not get away from the Evora on a windy road.  Check out the September 2015 issue and you will feel much better about waiting for the Lotus.  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The Aston does sound glorious but the 400 is next level - and I would think running costs would be about a third of the Aston, probably less!

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Philsport300 said:

Thanks for the Alpine set up advise Jay, I have a stereo that sounds ok now, what a difference!.

phil

Happy to help. You MAY even find that with my initial settings the sub is actually too much, but it at least proves that it does work!

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 06/18/2016 at 07:24, anthonyyule said:

So disappointed with the new video James..... I actually got up early this morning to watch it (such is the quality of the information you normally provide). However.... almost 10mins on IPS - and nicely split between "Drive" and "Manual"...... but for the 400 I can't see any really time spent in "Manual" at all :(

Ive ordered a 410Sport Auto and have always found it extremely difficult to find any proper reviews of the new auto. I had therefore (possibly unfairly) put a huge amount of expectation at your door. 

Im actually left no better informed as to how the car performs in manual :(

This video shows quite well the 400 auto, i guess in race mode

• Like 2

(ex) Elise S1 (VIN 357) LHD

10 hours ago, FredP said:

This video shows quite well the 400 auto, i guess in race mode

Good video actually - I like the camera angle - you can clearly see the guy pulling the lever and then hear the actual time taken for the next gear to engage. Seems plenty fast enough to me - it certainly didn't seem to detract from either drivers enjoyment on the track!

I still don't see any drawback from getting the auto - pretty excited about it to be honest! :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The track is the only place you can legally show these cars being used to anything close to their full potential. Even a 2/3 upshift is technically illegal on most A/B roads here.

It is a VERY quick box when it wants to be.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

55 minutes ago, anthonyyule said:

I still don't see any drawback from getting the auto - pretty excited about it to be honest! :)

I was speaking to a 400 Auto owner yesterday and he was telling me about one element of the gearbox that he hates - at slow speeds (ie 10-15mph, ie pulling up to a roundabout), the 'box has a tendency to change down from 2nd to 1st when you're not expecting it. This can lead to lots of revving and 'kangarooing', apparently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

I was speaking to a 400 Auto owner yesterday and he was telling me about one element of the gearbox that he hates - at slow speeds (ie 10-15mph, ie pulling up to a roundabout), the 'box has a tendency to change down from 2nd to 1st when you're not expecting it. This can lead to lots of revving and 'kangarooing', apparently. 

that's interesting - and to be expected? .... does this tie into the "creep" that James has previously mentioned?

but good to hear he didn't just "generally" hate the box. I'm very lucky in that I live in a rural part of Scotland where I don't have many big junctions/ roundabouts, etc to contend with so maybe it wont affect me so much.

56 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

The track is the only place you can legally show these cars being used to anything close to their full potential. Even a 2/3 upshift is technically illegal on most A/B roads here.

It is a VERY quick box when it wants to be.

Interesting James.... and I guess its those 2/3 or less gear changes that tend to be sluggish or slurred. I guess I can imagine that too. Good to also hear you say that the box can be quick when it wants to be - but that circumstances have to be right. Hopefully the car will suit where I live and what I intend to use it for. I know all about the perils of owning a car that is far too quick for the road (430 squirms all over the place when it feels like it)..... but its nice to see that the gearbox doesn't overshadow the rest of the driving experience. For me... the short drive in the Exige Auto confirmed that I personally liked that interaction - but I accept its not for everybody - and actually trying to convey this on a video is even more difficult!

• Gold FFM

In my brief experience I didn't have any Kangaroo hopping - although if you aren't expecting it the down-shift can be quite dramatic with the exhaust valve open. May lead to some accidental "boy racer" accusations.

I had a guy I took out in the 400 recently who was thinking of buying one. For whatever reason he was concerned about the speed of 2/3 upshifts in the MANUAL car. So I took him out in mine after a show and I think I may have scared him on the back roads!

@anthonyyule I would be very interested to see how you get on with the auto in spirited driving given the lack of LSD. Half of my performance cars have had one, half have not. I can't say I'm a good enough driver to tell in normal situations.

James Martin (JayEmm)

8 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

I would be very interested to see how you get on with the auto in spirited driving given the lack of LSD. Half of my performance cars have had one, half have not. I can't say I'm a good enough driver to tell in normal situations.

@JayEmm - the lack of an LSD is going to have zero impact on my driving style or enjoyment of the car. Having been lucky enough to owned 2 exige (one S2 exige - 190 NA) and 2 evora so far (none which had an LSD), I don't expect that I will notice any difference. Given that all my driving is on the road (and I generally try to avoid being out in crappy conditions (a luxury I can afford with this being a "toy"), then I really don't think the lack of an LSD will be noticeable for me at all. For sure - some will be fortunate enough to get to the stage that they can benefit from it.... but I am nowhere near a good enough driver... nor would I drive in such a fashion on the public road :) 

I've always considered the mechanical grip in all of my Lotus to be so good that traction has never been an issue. I can now confirm that even in the 430 dry weather traction is frightening. yes - you can provoke the rear tires in the dry - but that's by being a hooligan. Of course in the wet it is a different story!

Edited by anthonyyule

• Gold FFM

That's what I am thinking though Tony - with higher power an LSD becomes a little more necessary. One of the nice things with the 400 is it lets the LSD do the work before the traction light comes on. I haven't actually got the traction control light on with the 400 yet, it's extremely sure-footed.

James Martin (JayEmm)

32 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

That's what I am thinking though Tony - with higher power an LSD becomes a little more necessary. One of the nice things with the 400 is it lets the LSD do the work before the traction light comes on. I haven't actually got the traction control light on with the 400 yet, it's extremely sure-footed.

Well you must try harder...

• Like 1