Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
cutting out - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

cutting out

Tonight I started the car and within a few seconds the motor cut out. After restarting a few times eventually got out of the car park; IN the next 1km it died and was restarted about 30 times or more, never running for more than 5 Secs at any one time; Once out of town evrything was normal and drove home with no further issues;

i) No warning lights all fuses ok

ii) every re-start was totally normal

iii) it was just like switching the ignition off

iv) The issue must be intermittent as the car bump started itself a  few times and restarted cleanly

I let the immobiliser set itself automatically and then disarmed it - no difference

i'm guessing at an intermittent fault with a sensor somewhere that is telling the ECU 'Don't Run!' ie CAM Position etc.

Sound familiar to anyone?

edit to add:

no CEL

NO COdes logged

Edited by redshift

Thinking logically about this, all the problems were during the warm up. Once up to temperature no issues.
So what is operative during warm up that could cause the motor to die and not be capable of giving any error codes?

I'm going to vote for the IAC Valve sticking?

• Like 1

I would have opted for the something electrical - ECU earth (earth on bellhousing).

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike Sekinger's advice is well worth taking . . .

• Gold FFM

Think @swindon_alan posted up a similar problem - if it's an earth issue you can test this out easily with a jump lead from the battery neg to the engine block

Only here once

The ECU takes it's Earth from the bellhousing - this is part of the engine loom and is easily checked.  If this is the problem, then it will not be solved by a second Earth strap between the battery and the engine itself. 

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica