Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dashboard - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

Hi, Does anyone have any advice on how to spruce up the black Vinyl part of the dashboard that comes down from the windscreen glass as mine has shrunk and pulled away. I.e has anyone changed it for any other material like thin carpet for example? It looks tricky to remove due to the binnacle but i would imagine something over the top could look ok. Any thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bite the bullet and remove the binnacle.  It looks worse than it is and wont be possible otherwise..   You can go as far as screen out but with care a perfect job can be done with the screen in.  Just takes time. Get a hide or half off ebay or alcantara type trim from woollies.

Quick word of warning - if the S3 is like the S2 then that part in front of the screen is part of the bodyshell.  I had mine re-trimmed when the screen was out and I have no idea how you would do it with the screen in situ.  The windscreen slope means its a pig to get to.

Yeah it looks a pain, ill keep looking around for other options. I'd rather not take the screen out. Im thinking some kind of wrap may do.

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine re trimmed in situ, by a professional, not me.  I was watching though, there is enough of a gap (or was on my car) between the glass and the front edge of the dash to push some material (mine was leather) down the gap. Looks perfect. As long as the material is flexible and you leave enough to push down the gap you should be OK.

IIRC, @slewthy posted a how to from when he did his, also without removing the screen.

looks like you've got some peeling around the binnacle vents too, so you might as well take that off no do,it in the same material...agree with @mdw, itwill be a lot easier to get to then, and yes, as @Nelly9000 says, that land is part of the body shell.

have fun!

Mines all retrimmed, but in bits in dads bedroom waiting to go back in, hopefully this summer!

Indeed I did.

Have a look in blogs, page 2 - 'Slewthy's interior resto' There is an entry on screen landing retrim.

Cant believe this was 5 yrs ago!! Anyway, it all still looks good. Just to clarify. Binnacle must be out. Do the wiring connector upgrade whilst you are there - it makes subsequent binnacle removal a doddle. Also, all the dash bits were out too - speakers, vent. Also, if you (and you will) get glue on the screen, just remove it with a sharp scraper - edge of a stanley blade will work at a push but one with a blunt edge saves your fingers.

It was a hugely satisfying job in the end, just needs plenty of prior planning.

Si

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

"wiring connector upgrade when dash is out" - not what you want to read when you have just taking out and then refitted the binnacle.... :)

oh well next time

C43

BTW of all the jobs I have done on the Esprit re fitting the S2 dash has to be the most fiddly. I think the S3 is a good step easier due to the warning lights.

Don't think so but iirc, it might have been hopo who posted images of what he had done. 

Essentially it was rationalising the binnacle wiring into several connectors so that each time the binnacle had to come out, you just have to unclip the connectors and there you go. You need multi connectors that take up to 15 wires, some decent strippers and terminal crimps. Got mine from either vehicle wiring products or auto electric supplies.

Be aware that some of the switches may be taking high currents eg headlamp so you need connectors that will take the potential load. 

Si

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

makes sense. BTW interesting to watch the guys on Wheeler Dealers fighting the dash on their S3....

A previous owner did a single multiplug on my S2 binacle - I can't tell you how much easier that has made my life so if you are able to I think its well worth doing.

57 minutes ago, Big Vern said:

Ok , do you think its a job for someone with no auto electrical skills (although i do have a small amount of common sense!)?

What could go wrong!!

Use a digital camera, lots of labeling, and go slow....

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

On 26 May 2016 at 15:38, Big Vern said:

Yeah it looks a pain, ill keep looking around for other options. I'd rather not take the screen out. Im thinking some kind of wrap may do.

It's definitely possible to change this with the screen in. I just did mine.

On my car the leather was only tucked behind the screen a little and not under the bond itself so it could be pulled out. 

Its a very fiddly and potentially messy job though. I did mine when all of the interior and lower dash were out and it's still a right faff. Cleaning off all the old glue with thinners was the worst bit.

I replaced mine with some slightly stretchy black PVC, which could mould into the contours around the speakers etc. The lower edge tucks into the gap between dash and screen apart from where the VIN plate is where you need to cut a small section around this. Not sure if the S2 is the same as my Stevens in that respect...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

I bought it at Beaulieu last year from one of the trim suppliers there. Sorry I can't remember which one but definitely not Woolies or Martrim as I remember both of their stalls!

It came as a pre-cut piece, just the right length but twice as wide as I needed. Cost £12 :D

Just one tip - I found that liquid contact glue softened the PVC too much so I used spray contact glue. Remember to use high temp adhesive too, otherwise it'll come away on a hot day!

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Vern, Maybe take it in this direction???

post-15334-0-50868800-1379418608.jpg

I would think that your dash is like this on an S3 with the plastic plugs.

8562149827_9efea357ca_b.jpg

Edited by jcslocum

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo