Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
DAB Radio for the Evora 400 headunit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

DAB Radio for the Evora 400 headunit

I was wondering whether anyone had installed the Alpine module that implements DAB Radio in the Alpine 990 headunit?  Easy - self install? How much? Worth bothering even?

Thanks, Mark.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

The 400's unit has an official DAB add-on that, presumably, interfaces with the head unit neatly and doesn't need the separate interface. I cant remember the part number, its in the manual. Would be nice for Lotus to offer it as an option, DAB is quite commonplace now in cars.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I changed my head unit to an Alpine with in built DAB and have a dedicated DAB aerial. However DAB coverage in the main I have found is crap where I live in Scotland and driving Scotland to Midlands in wife's DAB equipped new Qashqai shows whole areas of poor reception.

The coverage in general I find to be disappointingly poor.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I used to listen to DAB all the time, then recently my favourite station changed their carrier, now I basically can't find their signal for more than a minute. Shame really.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Most of the issues with DAB reception seems to be with the aerials. 

I used to have a Skoda Octavia with a VW OEM sharkfin DAB aerial. No problems with reception anywhere I went. I've now got a Alfa Romeo with a cr@ppy 'inside windscreen' aerial. Driving around the same areas, reception can be pretty marginal, especially in built up areas.

So, don't just knock DAB. You need to have the proper gear.

16 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

So, don't just knock DAB. You need to have the proper gear.

So do I assume that the highly regarded ICE dealer, recommended and used by my official Lotus dealer, has installed an inferior powered DAB aerial in my car and that my wifes factory installed DAB gear in her car are all crap then?

I also have tried three different DAB radio recievers and got appalling reception in my house and garden too.

Maybe I just buy crap DAB stuff then ;)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I use DAB all the time. Driven from Swindon to Aberdeen many times with only two areas where there are problems:

1. Through part of the lakes ( about 3 - 3 miles)

2. Over Beattock summit

Used my current Leon SC.

Alfa Brera with Pure dashtop (fm transmitting) unit with windscreen antenna 

The windscreen antenna was an active one which probably makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2016 at 08:23, CocoPops said:

Can this be operated from the head unit touch screen though? The Evora head unit isn't listed as compatible.

The following Alpine products can operate the TUE-DAB1U fully from the touch screen: ICS-X7, ICS-X8, INA-W910R, INE-W920R, INE-W925R, INE-W928R, INE-W970BT, INE-W977BT, IVA-D511R/RB, IVA-D800R, IVE-W530BT, IVE-W535BT.

Taken from the alpine.co.uk page for the 990BT (as fitted to the 400)

Capture2.PNG

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

It doesn't actually say that you can use the existing touch screen to control it though and the W990BT isn't listed as a compatible screen on the Alpine site (as far as I can see). I suspect that it can only be controlled using the supplied remote controller if running it through the W990BT unit.

I would suggest, that it's more likely the alpine site has not been updated fully.

In fact, given the previous versions are listed 920/970, I'd put money on it working.

• 6 months later...

The TUE-DAB1u module IS controllable from the INE-w990bt touch screen as I have one fitted by the previous owner of my Evora 400. I have two problems though: 1) the reception using an active windscreen aerial is pretty poor and 2) the head unit views the DAB module's input as a video stream so blanks it when the handbrake is not applied. I've booked a visit to a local Alpine agent to see if they can do anything about these issues.

Thanks for the welcome Bibs. I've read a fair bit about what needs to be done. With other Alpine units the system has to be fooled into thinking you're not moving. I've seen solutions involving dual switches, diodes, or a 3rd party device marketed as a PAC TR7. If it is as simple as earthing the handbrake wire I'll be very happy. No DIN extractor tools though so I'll keep my appointment at the Alpine agent tomorrow. There are some settings in the Alpine head unit's menu titled "Park" and "Reverse" but they are not changeable. Maybe there's a button sequence to enable them? Should know more tomorrow.

Just back from the car audio shop. The DAB unit control screen now stays visible when driving. I don't know what they did because they were quite secretive about it. Protecting their business I suppose. They tried their best external DAB aerial and the reception didn't improve, the assumption being that the Alpine TUE-DAB1u is not a strong unit. They did contact Alpine though who suggested either trying their recommended aerial or sending the unit back for service. Not sure what to do. Whilst there they also tried to tweak the subwoofer to improve performance but that is still pretty weak.