Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Hold the phones, a cupholder in a 400? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Hold the phones, a cupholder in a 400?

• Gold FFM

So, I've just been reading the newly posted review of the Evora 400 from Road & Track.... their demo car (a familiar orange number).... apparently has a CUPHOLDER!?

Here's an excerpt from the article:

" The focus on weight savings has one exception, however, and it's one that the company founder might well have bridled at: a single cupholder at the rear of the narrow console for the courtesy of the second-row passengers. "It cost us a kilo," Gale notes, "but it is probably essential." 

Anyone know any more about this?

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

:lol:

I read that too and thought "hmm I don't have a cup holder" must be a new version of the centre console?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

That rear cupholder looks like a genuinely useful oddments tray too. Why the "£$"£$" did we not get that. The "accessory" is a new one on me too.

I'm going to see if I can get one in mine when it goes in next week.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Yep, rear cup holder/trunk tray looks good.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Here are the snapshots... But to be honest, I can't understand how much attention it takes from you :blush:! It is a common joke here to talk about how cupholders are important for US customers (rather than more important things like handling, for example)... But now I know it's true :lol::lol::lol: !

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow thanks for posting these. And thanks for saabkyle04.

Well that interior has had a nice little upgrade it seems, i guess the redesign central hub hosting the cupholders and tray will make it's way on the 2017 european spec and the option passenger cup holder is a very nice touch too... It looks like some people at Lotus have seen some mods proposed after market and decided they could do it themselves too and ask for a little premium. I also noticed that the Alpine head unit has had all the tacky stickers removed... Which I have been begging them to do for a while ! And it looks a lot more like it now... Finally.

I guess the options list for the european spec is going to get a bit longer... Not really a bad thing.

You lot allow food and drink in your cars :o

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM

I thought about those, my only concern with them would be they are going to reflect in the windscreen pretty badly

James Martin (JayEmm)

4 hours ago, French Frie said:

Here are the snapshots... But to be honest, I can't understand how much attention it takes from you :blush:! It is a common joke here to talk about how cupholders are important for US customers (rather than more important things like handling, for example)... But now I know it's true :lol::lol::lol: !

It's standard fare--I see the double standard in Dubai in the expat community, too. Take the piss out of the Americans for wanting cup holders and then get upset at not having a cup holder option in the UK. Personally, as an American and as a human being (not mutually exclusive despite reports otherwise) I don't want to be drinking while I'm driving. But I do use my car as a daily driver so it occasionally transports takeout for consumption at home. It's nice to not have to try to shift gears while holding a drink. 

The largest market for Porsche and probably most other European performance automobiles is the US. How does this fact square with the tired cliche that Americans don't care about performance and handling? Pretty well I guess in the post-factual world sensibility. I get not having cup holders in a track focused car like the Elige. But, it's just silly to pretend that a car like the Evora doesn't need them, whether you're an American or a proper enthusiast.   :stuart:

• Gold FFM

Craziness, cup holders for the Middle Easterners, they don't drink! Where are us British Lotus drivers supposed to put our Vodka Martinis!?

Bill, calm down ... I was just kiddin' :stuart: ! no offense intended :P ... I even take time to snapshot the parts ! But as a long time Lotus Lover, it's funny to see a hot thread about cup holders (I've the Elise one, very lightweight in my Exige, BTW), no more than that !

• Gold FFM

I'm quite curious to see how that cupholder cost JMG 1kg.... must be made out of steel, painted to look like plastic!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

6 hours ago, French Frie said:

Bill, calm down ... I was just kiddin' :stuart: ! no offense intended :P ... I even take time to snapshot the parts ! But as a long time Lotus Lover, it's funny to see a hot thread about cup holders (I've the Elise one, very lightweight in my Exige, BTW), no more than that !

No offense taken from you for sure! I was just pointing out the inconsistency I so often see. Everybody hates Hollywood, but unfailingly devours the crass, shallow movies. McDonalds is an atrocity (it is), but when I travel it isn't Americans keeping the restaurants open. 

Anyway, back on topic, the rear cup holder is perfect for my purposes. Just hope I don't need it to desqueak the seats by the time I'm ready to buy a 400. 

On 11/08/2016 at 06:54, JayEmm said:

I thought about those, my only concern with them would be they are going to reflect in the windscreen pretty badly

I have the shiny air vent surrounds on my 400, was worried about reflections but in my seating position (I'm 5'9") the reflections are up at rear mirror height, so they don't impact driving at all.

8a0f11878b.jpg

Unfortunately they do reflect quite badly in my dashcam video, so later on I'll look at a dark wrap (matte cf?)

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara